Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Case recommendation

• 26-09-2014 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

HI all, my current set up is
    i5 500k
    CM Hyper 212 Evo
    Asrock Z68 Pro3
    Sapphire Tri-X R9 290
    Corsair RM850 modular PSU
    2 HDDs, an SSD, and a Blu-Ray drive

all bundled into a Xigmatek Asgard II. I am looking into getting a new case- this one is giving me poor airflow with the R9 290 in place(and I had to mod the case just to get it to a fit, prob be a nightmare getting it out again), and the Corsair PSU doesn't spin up the fans until it goes under load(which has never happened), but the heat is rising through it since it is top mounted in the case, so I am worried in the long term it will get damaged, or a cap will explode or something(the top of the case is ridiculously hot at gaming load). It is also physically wearing, front panel coming loose etc.

I am looking for a mid-tower case with at least three good fans(front, rear, top), room for the very long(305mm) R9 290, and a bottom mounted PSU. I also need to carry my case between two houses at weekends, so it should be durable enough to not fall apart from being picked up and put in cars twice a week. I also use a wifi dongle, so an unobstructed front USB port would be great. The motherboard has no USB3.0 headers so if there were front USB it would have to be passthrough(but I won't be setting that up anyway, as my drivers for USB3 seem to be fubar'd, I BSOD if I plug something into my ports). Something that is as easy as possible to build in would be nice(pre-installed standoffs, toolless drives, that kind of thing) as it is my first time building from scratch, as it were.

If I can pick it up somewhere in Dublin this weekend instead of waiting a couple of weeks for online delivery that would be nice too, but obviously that is unlikely to be possible.

I was looking at the Corsair 650d, which seemed pretty good, but I got cold feet reading about the side panel scratching, the less than ideal room at the back for cables, the USB3.0 passthrough cables, and the fact apparently a new model is out soon.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

I bought a zalman Z9 Plus from maplin for 59.99 a few days ago. It comes with 4 fans. One Exhaust fan that runs at full speed the whole time, id guess that is 100 - 110 mm. The case also came with 3 blue LED 120mm fans, and a fan controller to control two of them.

As for the length, I know it can take a 300mm GPU card in the second PCI lane, not sure about the extra 5mm!

The Z9 Plus has 4 USB 2.0 ports on the front, so no BSOD worries.

The case has slots for 2 fans on the side wall, one at the bottom, one at the front, and two at the top.

The PSU is bottom mountable, with plenty of cable management. If you want an exact measurement for the card just let me know where to measure!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/zalman-z9-plus-atx-pc-case-black-n50nu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

What's your budget? Take a look at the Corsair 780ti.
    Iv the 650d and even though it's a nice case it's front fan mounting options lack a great deal compared to similar priced cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Budget is anywhere up to 150ish I would say.

The 780T looks nice, but it's full sized, I don't have room for that and it would be a pin to lug it around at weekends.

So your looking for a mid size tower, atx or matx?

edit: just read the opening question again check out the bitfenix prodigy or the Corsair 240 air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

It's full ATX, those two cases wouldn't work.

Anyway, leaning back towards the Corsair 650d or 750d at the moment.

• Advertisement

It's full ATX, those two cases wouldn't work.

Anyway, leaning back towards the Corsair 650d or 750d at the moment.

Ok been a 650d owner I would jump on the 750d its a much better case overall more room for adding stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Kencollins wrote: »
    I bought a zalman Z9 Plus from maplin for 59.99 a few days ago. It comes with 4 fans. One Exhaust fan that runs at full speed the whole time, id guess that is 100 - 110 mm. The case also came with 3 blue LED 120mm fans, and a fan controller to control two of them.

As for the length, I know it can take a 300mm GPU card in the second PCI lane, not sure about the extra 5mm!

The Z9 Plus has 4 USB 2.0 ports on the front, so no BSOD worries.

The case has slots for 2 fans on the side wall, one at the bottom, one at the front, and two at the top.

The PSU is bottom mountable, with plenty of cable management. If you want an exact measurement for the card just let me know where to measure!

Got that case myself a couple weeks ago, very happy with it... all the features the bigger name brands have for a fraction of the cost, five 3.5 bays and four front 5.5 with a 2.5 bracket, side cable management and low mounted PSU.......lights up lovely in th dark and the temperature reading is a nice touch

Advertisement