Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Think Carefully Before Buying A Crewcab Jeep/Van

Options
  • 19-09-2014 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Just a word of warning to anyone looking to buya crewcab jeep or van.
    All the adds on Donedeal etc, rave about the 'cheap tax or 'tax only 333 euro a year'.

When you go to tax it, you'll have to fill out a 'crewcab declaration' at the Guards station.
    You MUST have 3 employees to be able to tax it commercially, and provide their names.
    You also have to provide a letter from the Income Tax people confirming you are self employed.
    This didn't used to be the case.

So be aware once you get a 'crewcab' it's not possible to tax commercially without the above.
    Two and three seat jeeps and vans just need one personal declaration with no need to have employees.

Gd luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

ah thatrs only certain countys. majority will still tax crewcabs commercially with no hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Your requirements are incorrect there op on taxing a commercial vehicle, yes its after tightening down but not true to be declaring that information to be fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Your requirements are incorrect there op on taxing a commercial vehicle, yes its after tightening down but not true to be declaring that information to be fact.

You do not need 3 employees necessarily , a Herd or Flock number will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

Nekarsulm wrote: »

I don't think the herd number will be enough for crewcabs but in my eyes it should be sufficient but like one of the posters says it does differ from county to county alright. Here in kerry they are clamping down mad any excuse and they won't do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

Just taxed my trooper crewcab online with no problems !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 PG.Tips

Ok, well my experience is in Kerry, I assumed it was the same all over.

Nekarsulm wrote: »

It must depend where you are, here in Kerry it clearly states a herd/flock number is not acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

ubs69 wrote: »

OP is referring to taxing a commercial for the first time after buying it, not renewing the tax on a jeep you own and have taxed previously. Online = a PIN and CVRT on file with Tax office etc. I.E already taxed by you in the recent past.

A lot of lads round here getting it hard to tax new commercials which was never the case before - Kildare.

I don't see the problem here if one is a registered business then there is no issue or difficulty in taxing a vehicle for commercial purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

OP is referring to taxing a commercial for the first time after buying it, not renewing the tax on a jeep you own and have taxed previously. Online = a PIN and CVRT on file with Tax office etc. I.E already taxed by you in the recent past.

A lot of lads round here getting it hard to tax new commercials which was never the case before - Kildare.

Did he say it was a new crewcab ?

• Advertisement

I don't see the problem here if one is a registered business then there is no issue or difficulty in taxing a vehicle for commercial purposes.

Its not a problem to tax a 3 seat van or jeep commercially, it's a simple declaration at the Guards and your PPS number/trade.

It's when it has a second row of seats that you get the 'provide your 3 employees names' letter, or get private tax.

ubs69 wrote: »

Renewals seem to be ok, so far. But I have heard on the Radio some owners of crewcabs are starting to get letters from the motor tax dept that require you to have 3 employees or tax privately.

PG.Tips wrote: »

It's when it has a second row of seats that you get the 'provide your 3 employees names' letter, or get private tax.

It makes sense why would you need a crew cab only you have employees and need transport to carry them around.
    The family using the crew cab jeep as a car for social purposes are the ones they want to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

Its not a problem to tax a 3 seat van or jeep commercially, it's a simple declaration at the Guards and your PPS number/trade.

will your pps number do to tax commercially I thought they wouldn't except it.

UPDATE !!!!!

Ok, this is getting rather laughable now!

As you may have gathered I tried to tax my crewcab commercially and the tax office (Kerry) sent me a 'crewcab declaration' form. This stated unless I had 3 employees I will not qualify for commercial tax.
    I only use the jeep for work and I lock my tools in the back seat area, this leaves me the pickup bed to pile tree cuttings/larger machinery etc.
    Seemed there was no way around taxing it privately. So I sent in a change of tax category form and the private rate amount for 3 months, plus insurance documents etc.
    TODAY! I get it all back with a letter informing me " From today (25th Sep) Crew Cab Declarations are no longer a requirement for taxing a goods vehicle" :0

This is despite them telling me 1 week ago it was :0

I will need a letter from the revenue confirming my being registered for self employment, and the goods declaration form you do at the guards.

Holy hell...what a palaver.

But am pleased to now not have to pay 1030 euro a year for my work vehicle.

Ps. Does anyone know wtf is going on at the tax office???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

UPDATE !!!!!

Ok, this is getting rather laughable now!

As you may have gathered I tried to tax my crewcab commercially and the tax office (Kerry) sent me a 'crewcab declaration' form. This stated unless I had 3 employees I will not qualify for commercial tax.
    I only use the jeep for work and I lock my tools in the back seat area, this leaves me the pickup bed to pile tree cuttings/larger machinery etc.
    Seemed there was no way around taxing it privately. So I sent in a change of tax category form and the private rate amount for 3 months, plus insurance documents etc.
    TODAY! I get it all back with a letter informing me " From today (25th Sep) Crew Cab Declarations are no longer a requirement for taxing a goods vehicle" :0

This is despite them telling me 1 week ago it was :0

I will need a letter from the revenue confirming my being registered for self employment, and the goods declaration form you do at the guards.

Holy hell...what a palaver.

But am pleased to now not have to pay 1030 euro a year for my work vehicle.

Ps. Does anyone know wtf is going on at the tax office???
    Probably grudgingly falling into line with some EU directive that allows normal people to use a vehicle like yours for work.

I was talking to a cousin there who was in similar problem with confusion and paper work, he got sick of the whole lot and drove to another county council and they taxed it no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

I heard a rumour that Limerick Co. Co. was more difficult than Cork Co. Co. Has anyone had experience with these counties ?
    Would you need Proof of Address in the county that you are taxing it in ?

Advertisement