Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much can exercise combat the effects of junk food?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

You can get stronger on a bad diet. But for sports performance u are nothing eating trash. Some of the claims about Olympic atletes eating 10,000 calories of trash is bs. Surely nobody believes that lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,101 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MD1990 wrote: »
    You can get stronger on a bad diet. But for sports performance u are nothing eating trash. Some of the claims about Olympic atletes eating 10,000 calories of trash is bs. Surely nobody believes that lol.

Define 'Sports Performance'?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Define 'Sports Performance'?
    How well u perform at a certain sport. Eating trash is going to hinder it significantly wth Sports that require you to be athletic. Especially sports in which speed is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How well u perform at a certain sport.

Just playing Devils Advocate but that's vague. Me playing sawker at the level I do is very different to playing in the Premier League.

Just playing Devils Advocate but that's vague. Me playing sawker at the level I do is very different to playing in the Premier League.
    Not really. If u want to be the best u can be no matter what level u are playing at, your diet needs to be good to be at your best in terms of fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

So can I stuff my face with pizza or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,030 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

usersame wrote: »
    Id rather be a healthy eating non-exerciser than a junk food exerciser. Look at the pot bellies on AstroTurf pitches, I've mates that play soccer 4 times a week and are still puddings

I think some peoples definitions of "play soccer" are different that others.

Its pathetically easy to play soccer 4 times a week and never break a sweat, I know people who go to the Gym 4 times a week and all that gets a workout is their mouth and wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Exercising with a bad diet is better than not exercising with a bad diet. How much better is a thorny question and depends on a lot of variables. I sweat profusely during and after exercise, and I'm about 96 kilos, so my diet is saltier and higher in calories than other peoples'. At the moment, I'm doing medium to high intensity training four or five days a week, so there's an argument that I have a window for eating simple carbs in the ninety minutes following each session - but that didn't apply when I played rugby and rarely trained twice within 48 hours.

One thing that rarely gets properly discussed in threads like these, though, is the fact that sticking to a lean, healthy diet - particularly if you exercise enough to have elevated calorie requirements - is awkward, expensive and boring. A can of Spar cola straight after a morning session is 150 calories of pure sugar, it tastes fantastic, it takes about ten seconds to purchase, and it's 45 cent. No healthy option comes anywhere near it for calories per euro, convenience and taste. I can look at the nutritional figures for protein shake smoothies all day long, but they'll always be pricier, more time-consuming and less tasty, so unless I go on a ferocious health kick, I won't be making them.

Exercising with a bad diet is better than not exercising with a bad diet. How much better is a thorny question and depends on a lot of variables. I sweat profusely during and after exercise, and I'm about 96 kilos, so my diet is saltier and higher in calories than other peoples'. At the moment, I'm doing medium to high intensity training four or five days a week, so there's an argument that I have a window for eating simple carbs in the ninety minutes following each session - but that didn't apply when I played rugby and rarely trained twice within 48 hours.

One thing that rarely gets properly discussed in threads like these, though, is the fact that sticking to a lean, healthy diet - particularly if you exercise enough to have elevated calorie requirements - is awkward, expensive and boring. A can of Spar cola straight after a morning session is 150 calories of pure sugar, it tastes fantastic, it takes about ten seconds to purchase, and it's 45 cent. No healthy option comes anywhere near it for calories per euro, convenience and taste. I can look at the nutritional figures for protein shake smoothies all day long, but they'll always be pricier, more time-consuming and less tasty, so unless I go on a ferocious health kick, I won't be making them.
    Not true. You can get protein shakes that taste great,not time consuming or that expensive.

Not true. You can get protein shakes that taste great,not time consuming or that expensive.

If you can point me to a protein shake that comes in anywhere near 30c per hundred calories and tastes anywhere near as good as a cold cola, I'll happily buy one and conduct a taste test, and rescind my argument if it compares favourably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

If you can point me to a protein shake that comes in anywhere near 30c per hundred calories and tastes anywhere near as good as a cold cola, I'll happily buy one and conduct a taste test, and rescind my argument if it compares favourably.

For example a typical Mass gainer would be around 35-40c per 100Kcals , ~10g protein ~12g Carbs.... much more appealing to me than a can of crappy cheap cola.

http://www.hpnutrition.ie/musclemaxx-high-protein-shake?filter_name=%20protein

€37 for 75 servings (130 calories per serving).

Not really. If u want to be the best u can be no matter what level u are playing at, your diet needs to be good to be at your best in terms of fitness.

There's a big range of 'sports performance' where it makes only a small difference. Exhibit A: most junior football matches

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Exhibit B: darts?

Protein isn't that expensive. I can't remember how much it is per serving but it's not far off that cola and purely in terms of taste, I'd rather defecate and vomit in a bucket and drink that before the Spar cola. But that's just me and I'm not being a food Nazi.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Exhibit B: darts?

That's an argument for "Is darts a game or a sport?" people.

Right, a taste test it shall be. For one week I'll follow morning exercise with cola, then for the second week I'll follow it with protein shake. Is the linked one a good bet for people who aren't trying to gain muscle, incidentally? I was a loosehead prop until May of this year, and now I'm trying to metamorphose into a triathlete...

Is the linked one a good bet for people who aren't trying to gain muscle, incidentally? I was a loosehead prop until May of this year, and now I'm trying to metamorphose into a triathlete...

You won't gain muscle taking it in the same way you won't gain muscle by eating an extra chicken fillet.

Right, a taste test it shall be. For one week I'll follow morning exercise with cola, then for the second week I'll follow it with protein shake. Is the linked one a good bet for people who aren't trying to gain muscle, incidentally? I was a loosehead prop until May of this year, and now I'm trying to metamorphose into a triathlete...

Swapped out my usual post-spinning cola for a protein shake this morning - used a shake mix I tried a while ago and didn't finish, just to check that it doesn't have any unwanted effects on my digestive system. It tasted unspeakably bad - not "this isn't as nice as cola", but " this is almost enough to make me gag". Utterly vile. This does not bode well, unless taste differs wildly between brands.

What brand and flavour did you have?

They can differ a lot in terms of taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

What brand and flavour did you have?

They can differ a lot in terms of taste.

Exactly. I have 3 different flavours under my desk and I can say, hand on heart, that they're something I really look forward to and enjoy, even mixed with just cold water. After working out in the morning, my strawberry shake with ice cold water is pure bliss!

I visited the MyProtein site out of curiosity and there are nearly 40 flavours of whey there, including vanilla or unflavoured if you fancied it. There is bound to be something there that you would enjoy.

The chocolate flavour Dymatize is incredible http://www.hpnutrition.ie/whey-protein-isolate?filter_name=dymatize

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Mix with milk instead of water, so much nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

it's better to be fit and chubby than unfit and lean. If convential health markers are your measure of health. but alot of people don't want that to be true so naturally they don't believe it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What are these conventional health markers?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,101 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mellor wrote: »
    What are these conventional health markers?

I assume he's referring to blood pressure / resting heart rate / cholesterol / bone density / mineral balances / blood counts / etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

it's better to be fit and chubby than unfit and lean. If convential health markers are your measure of health. but alot of people don't want that to be true so naturally they don't believe it's true.

Thats a fair point. While there are people who exercise 3 or 4 times a week and then go drinking, eating pizzas etc while they may not have a healthy diet at least they are giving their heart and respiratory system a good workout. And with heart and respirotary diseases killing a lot of people in Ireland that can be no bad thing.

I suppose the other side of it is at some stage in your life your muscles will give up on exercising at high intensity which means eating correctly takes on even more importance. So given that you have to break the cycle of junk foods at some stage then why not do it sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I suppose the other side of it is at some stage in your life your muscles will give up on exercising at high intensity which means eating correctly takes on even more importance. So given that you have to break the cycle of junk foods at some stage then why not do it sooner rather than later.

What do you mean by this? Metabolism slowing down as you age is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,030 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Muahahaha wrote: »

Is it not just that the intensity changed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement