Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3rd world broadband at 1st world prices (need ISP suggestions Lahinch Rd)

Options
  • 13-06-2014 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I live in an estate out on the Lahinch Rd. about 1km outside Ennis and get about 3-7mpbs on Eircom's 24mb "next generation" (for the early 2000s I guess) package. Someone said that the local exchange can only provide 8mb DSL (Probably BS it's 2014, havent been able to inquire to Eircom because they're useless). I was considering switching to eFibre/Vodafone fibre but the nearest cabinet is 1.2km away as the crow flies, meaning it likely isn't even available here and wouldn't be at a decent speed if it was.
    Are there better options or am I stuck in Eircom's "eFibre Rollout" purgatory until the end of time?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

3 have 4G is you're desperate. You could trial it. 4G would be faster then that, although watch the usage caps.

Imagine Wimax can be gotten out on the Lahinch Rd also. I think it goes up to 10Mbps, but better than what you're currently getting.

I would suggest you ring your ADSL provider and ask them to do a line test to see what you might get on FTTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

Wait until Vodafone arrives in your area.

I am on Limerick Road.I was robbed by Eircom until last year with €60 every month, now I am with VD fast broadband €32 euro a month, I didnt take the landline phone as I have two mobile phone at home.

Broadband speed 46mbps download speed
    10mbps upload speed while computer connected to router as wireless .

newbie13 wrote: »

I am on Limerick Road.I was robbed by Eircom until last year with €60 every month, now I am with VD fast broadband €32 euro a month, I didnt take the landline phone as I have two mobile phone at home.

Just so you know thus is available with any major ISP. Magnet, eircom, Vodafone, Digiweb etc

+1 for Vodafone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 A pint o Guinness

newbie13 wrote: »

Checking it online it says fibre is available in my area. Though the nearest fibre enabled DSLAM is near Claureen and I'm about a km out from there (either that or the one in my neighborhood isn't on those maps). With all the twists and turns the wiring takes speed would drop below 40% of what I'm paying for.
    Still better than Eircom's early 2000s broadband for 60 bucks a month.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm on Vodafone and I'm on fibre, great service that I can't fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Checking it online it says fibre is available in my area. Though the nearest fibre enabled DSLAM is near Claureen and I'm about a km out from there (either that or the one in my neighborhood isn't on those maps). With all the twists and turns the wiring takes speed would drop below 40% of what I'm paying for.
    Still better than Eircom's early 2000s broadband for 60 bucks a month.

If you ring eircom they can give you a better idea of what speeds you should be able to get.
    Granted you won't get the full speed, but you're on a low speed now anyway and any improvement should be a good thing.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you ring eircom they can give you a better idea of what speeds you should be able to get.
    Granted you won't get the full speed, but you're on a low speed now anyway and any improvement should be a good thing.

I just hope they aren't done with Ennis for good. My neighborhood is the only one without a fibre cabinet within 1km of it from what I've seen on a map

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I wouldn't think they are finished by a long shot, there's a lot of their network vans around the place, they seem to be doing a lot of work around the place.

Clareman wrote: »
    I wouldn't think they are finished by a long shot, there's a lot of their network vans around the place, they seem to be doing a lot of work around the place.

I'm not really tech savvy so I have to ask.
    Suppose I get eFibre/VF Fibre (literally same service based on what I've heard) right now and am connected to the nearest cabinet which like 1.5km away there's bound to be a lot of speed dropped. If they do build one within close proximity later on will it be much hassle to get connected to that?

I'm not really tech savvy so I have to ask.
    Suppose I get eFibre/VF Fibre (literally same service based on what I've heard) right now and am connected to the nearest cabinet which like 1.5km away there's bound to be a lot of speed dropped. If they do build one within close proximity later on will it be much hassle to get connected to that?

fttn-speed-graph.gif

• Advertisement

15mb would still be better than what I currently get I suppose. Hope they set up a cabinet in the neighborhood at some point. My friends in Eastern Europe had 100mb (think they're on 200 now) and it was godlike compared to anything available here at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Im out the Kildysert Rd. About 2km from the exchange. Said on our package that we were upgraded to next gen, yet still getting dial up speeds. Are they trying to pull the wool over people's eyes so that they have to pay more. We went from 30 pm to 60

Next gen with Eircom isn't any more expensive than ADSL (1/3/7mb), in a lot of cases its cheaper.

What sort of package could you have been paying €30 a month for given that line rental is €25?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

15mb would still be better than what I currently get I suppose. Hope they set up a cabinet in the neighborhood at some point. My friends in Eastern Europe had 100mb (think they're on 200 now) and it was godlike compared to anything available here at the time.

I'm on 200Mb with UPC currently in Limerick. One major reason for me not moving to Co. Clare is the lack of UPC presence. Is there any plan for them to come to Clare?

I'm on 200Mb with UPC currently in Limerick. One major reason for me not moving to Co. Clare is the lack of UPC presence. Is there any plan for them to come to Clare?

That wouldn't be relevant to me because my neighborhood is isolated as ****.

They're already in Shannon and Corbally.
    No plans that I know of to be anywhere else in Clare

I know the houses in my neighborhood are fair new and like 1/4 are unpopulated but that doesn't give eircom an excuse not to build a cabinet here. I know for a fact that demand for faster broadband is high enough. Hell, better fibre availability might encourage more people to move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

I have mates who live out that way near the petrol station on the Lahinch Road. Same story. They had Vodafone then Eircom promised them the world so they switched...no speed increase. On a good day they get 8 meg of the 24 meg package, other days it can be 4 megs.

They rang a few times and complained that they didn't get the 24 promised when they switched. Eircom made excuses.

Then, true story, a month ago Sky came through and offered them Sky broadband (also via phone line / DSL) and they switched over to Sky high speed broadband. Guess what? 8 megs on a good day, 4 megs most of the time though.

So there are many options and each place will tell you they offer 24 megs or more but the reality is the lines there just don't support it yet.

CptSternn wrote: »
    I have mates who live out that way near the petrol station on the Lahinch Road. Same story. They had Vodafone then Eircom promised them the world so they switched...no speed increase. On a good day they get 8 meg of the 24 meg package, other days it can be 4 megs.

They rang a few times and complained that they didn't get the 24 promised when they switched. Eircom made excuses.

Then, true story, a month ago Sky came through and offered them Sky broadband (also via phone line / DSL) and they switched over to Sky high speed broadband. Guess what? 8 megs on a good day, 4 megs most of the time though.

So there are many options and each place will tell you they offer 24 megs or more but the reality is the lines there just don't support it yet.

That's if its non fibre. There is fibre in a lot of ennis to be fair. Sky don't have fibre.

Is this down by Donnellans or Mace?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Parents house is right beside Donnellan's, they only get max 4MB, if even. According to the eircom website that whole area is fibre enabled but it's not.

Must say, I am enjoying my 60MB for 20 quid a month with no line rental in the UK :D

Battleflag wrote: »
    Parents house is right beside Donnellan's, they only get max 4MB, if even. According to the eircom website that whole area is fibre enabled but it's not.

Must say, I am enjoying my 60MB for 20 quid a month with no line rental in the UK :D

That's due to low line rental. Eircom won't bring it down that's the problem.

I know people between town and the Mace/Inver garage who have FTTC.

They're within 1km of a cabinet so theoretically it's possible, but they will not get anything like 60Mbps. The further away you go with VDSL the speed drops considerably. Being honest though, Donnellan's is very far down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Mr. G wrote: »
    Is this down by Donnellans or Mace?

Donnellans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Give this map a look probably the best out there for accuracy http://www.irelandoffline.org/newmap/#/main ....
    Sales guys will promise the world and quietly mention "upto" when stating speed

Donnellans.

Have you tried Imagine? I think WiMax stretches down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chroi

I'm by there also, just before Donnellan's. I got efibre installed on Saturday and was getting 15mb down/2.5 up - download was great but upload was killing. Looked up other addresses in the estate on the eircom.net line check and saw most houses in the neighbourhood could get 30-50mb.

Went to the "talk to eircom" page on here and spoke with a rep who increased my speeds yesterday, doubling them...25mb down/5mb up. It's great, stable. Engineer who installed it was fantastic.

Talk to them here, see if there's anything they can do with your line or look into etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's their new slogan, doncherknow!

314670.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pout06

Hi guys,
    Do you know what kind of speed internet i can get in lahinch village?
    8Mo,4Mo?
    What compagny o you recommend?

Pout06 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Do you know what kind of speed internet i can get in lahinch village?
    8Mo,4Mo?
    What compagny o you recommend?

Up to 24Mbps depending on how far you are from the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Mr. G wrote: »
    Up to 24Mbps depending on how far you are from the exchange.

& that's always the f*!?*!g rub!

Advertisement