Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this the best use of space?

• 30-09-2014 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm planing on extending my house in the near future to add a decent sized kitchen, utility, downstairs toilet and garage conversion. I'm planning on going out 4 metres from the back and hoping not to mess with the original structure of the house too much (for cost reasons.)

I've been doing rough plans on a free website to see what my options are but i'm not sure if i'm getting the best use out of my space?

My main issue is that what is now my kitchen will become a corridor into the extension. I know i'll be able to use it for something but I'm not sure what?

I've attached a few pics and if anyone felt like taking a look and even better, had any suggestions they would be much appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qa5qso02u63p4vn/AAASxFw3RovLJXqbfIA9zn_Ja?dl=0

Pic 1 - 2d house as it is now
    Pic 2 - 2d Proposed extension
    Pic 3 - 2d house now full site
    Pic 4 -3d house as it is now
    Pic 5 - 3d proposed extension

Thanks for looking,

Pockets
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

pocketse wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm planing on extending my house in the near future to add a decent sized kitchen, utility, downstairs toilet and garage conversion. I'm planning on going out 4 metres from the back and hoping not to mess with the original structure of the house too much (for cost reasons.)
    I
    I've been doing rough plans on a free website to see what my options are but i'm not sure if i'm getting the best use out of my space?

My main issue is that what is now my kitchen will become a corridor into the extension. I know i'll be able to use it for something but I'm not sure what?

I've attached a few pics and if anyone felt like taking a look and even better, had any suggestions they would be much appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qa5qso02u63p4vn/AAASxFw3RovLJXqbfIA9zn_Ja?dl=0

Pic 1 - 2d house as it is now
    Pic 2 - 2d Proposed extension
    Pic 3 - 2d house now full site
    Pic 4 -3d house as it is now
    Pic 5 - 3d proposed extension

Thanks for looking,

Pockets

You have two living rooms as it is? Do u use both? I would consider knocking the kitchen and nearest living room into one for a decent size kitchen and living space.

Engage an architect or even a technician. Don't try do it on your own. It's a false saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭pocketse

Thanks for that 893bet.

Regarding the sitting room, the back one is used as a music room and i'd love not to have to get rid of it. I also have the space outside so will still be left with a decent back backgarden if i do extend into it.

I have no intention of doing this myself and do intend on consulting engineer/ architect. Still at the early stages and sole purpose of the post is to get ideas of what might be possible.

Thanks for looking.

Pockets

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Where is the sun?

Up in the sky.

Only joking. Starts at the front in the morning and works its way around the house on the side of the two living rooms. Always a good bit of sun in the garden. would be setting at the back lefthand corner of the garden.

here's the sat view of the house if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

What about putting the kitchen where the back sitting room is, opening up that 'middle room' to make the dining area, and having a light and airy living area/music room in the extension, with maybe some pocket doors so it could be closed off or opened as required?

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    What about putting the kitchen where the back sitting room is, opening up that 'middle room' to make the dining area, and having a light and airy living area/music room in the extension, with maybe some pocket doors so it could be closed off or opened as required?
    'light & airy' ?

BryanF wrote: »
    'light & airy' ?

What?

Nice and bright, looking out into the garden - could be glazed on 2 sides? Sounds nice to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 missmoxy86

Pockets I cant advise you on your layout but just wondering what website you used to draw up these plans?
    Im in the same boat and would love to have something like these to show any architects we meet rather than my own embarrassing drawings.
    Thanks

Why not write a list of wants & needs and compile a folder of images/style ideas you like. This would be far more constructive than doing the job of the hired arch

• Advertisement

missmoxy86 wrote: »
    Pockets I cant advise you on your layout but just wondering what website you used to draw up these plans?
    Im in the same boat and would love to have something like these to show any architects we meet rather than my own embarrassing drawings.
    Thanks

I drew up something similar using www.floorplanner.com - once you get the hang of it it's fairly handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 missmoxy86

Why not write a list of wants & needs and compile a folder of images/style ideas you like. This would be far more constructive than doing the job of the hired arch

Because i know what i want and the last architect didnt really take our ideas on board so want to be more prepared for the next one. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail haha

Thanks mrs whippy!

missmoxy86 wrote: »
    Because i know what i want and the last architect didnt really take our ideas on board so want to be more prepared for the next one. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail haha

Thanks mrs whippy!

Yep I used Floorplanner.com also. Fairly easy to use.

I'm in the same position myself. I'd like to be fairly educated myself before I consult an architect.

Happy planning moxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Where is the sun?
    pocketse wrote: »
    Up in the sky.

Only joking. Starts at the front in the morning and works its way around the house on the side of the two living rooms. Always a good bit of sun in the garden. would be setting at the back lefthand corner of the garden.

Sorry Bryan but this retort has me in stitches!!

mfceiling wrote: »
    Sorry Bryan but this retort has me in stitches!!
    :D

Advertisement