Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Land rover

• 08-12-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Lads i have a mind to buy a series 3 Landy, anyone any experience of engine conversions?? I would like to get 1 and fit a turbo engine or somethin like that ! Possibly sevo assist the brakes too !
    All thoughts opinions gratefully recieved !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Takes a lot of work to make one liveable with everyday but some do!

Most popular conversion is a 200di using the engine out of a Disco 1 without the turbo. You can fit with a turbo but it's a lot more work. Also 200Tdi is getting hard to find so 300Tdi is an alternative but you need an earlier bellhousing.

I've sorted out a fecked up 200di conversion, it's straightforward if done properly and you follow the available advice.

Loads of info on conversions on LR forums plus Glencoyne Engineering have an excellent site on the subject. Their advice on counterboring the hidden bolt holes is important or it will piss out oil. http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/200di.htm

Most 109s will have servo brakes as will many late 88's, the brake systems were rationalised in 1980. It's a cheapish nut bolt and pipe job to update the brakes and with a proper vacuum pump it does make a difference (Series 2.25 diesels use a butterfly on the intake which either produces no vacuum and no smoke or the total reverse :rolleyes:)

There are other engine conversions but with the availability of tdi engines there's not much point in the alternatives. An exception is the Perkins Prima as fitted to Montego/Maestro but they'd be hard to find here.

Your biggest problem is going to be finding a decent series Land Rover worth converting that doesn't have a rotten chassis or bulkhead.

You'll probably also end up looking for an overdrive or 3.54 diffs to give quieter cruising with the extra power.

TBH, Good series 3s are fetching as much money as cheap Defenders in the UK so check your sums. Also if it's not for regular use, the old 2.25 petrol engine is far far nicer (yea, I know you're all allergic to petrol here! :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Well the reasoning i have is this, i have an L200 recently taken off the road when i put the wee van on the road for economy, im big into vintage stuff and i figured an old landy with a bit of power would tow a wee tractor to runs and shows, tax and ins vintage and so on, thus flog the L200 which i will be pained to do its been such a mighty reliable workhorse !

That's perfectly good reasoning.

Mate of mine has an ex military 109 with a 200di. Easily cruises at 50-55 and does around 27-28mpg but is very noisy without the turbo. He's happy with it but I'd have to do some soundproofing if it was mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gtansey44

Does anyone know is it possible to fit a defender body late 80's onto an series 3 chassis? using a 2.5 TD from a defender not worried about legal requirements just whether it is feasible or not?

Thanks.

From the seatbox forward everything is dimensionally the same but the wheel arches will look odd over the series axle. A 110 rear tub is roughly the same as a 109 but again wheel arch will be wrong. A 90 tub won't fit on an 88 without chopping 5" out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gtansey44

101sean wrote: »
    From the seatbox forward everything is dimensionally the same but the wheel arches will look odd over the series axle. A 110 rear tub is roughly the same as a 109 but again wheel arch will be wrong. A 90 tub won't fit on an 88 without chopping 5" out.

As I thought really. On a recent trip down to Kerry I was surprised to see not one but two defenders on 'zv' plates. One was driving towards me didn't get a great look at it but proportions seemed correct no split window etc. And later the same day, another 'zv' defender that was quite heavily modded was parked up close enough to me to warrant a peek.

First thought was that surely it was just a defender with the plates swapped out. In clear view I didn't want to investigate further. But how could someone get away with swapping plates from a lets say 70's vehicle and no guard/insurer to pick up on this.

Just to be clear not something I am considering myself.

Plate swapping is common unfortunately, there were pictures on FB recently of an ex MOD Tithonus 110 on a 75 plate, they were built in 85/86.

It's frequently discussed elsewhere so not woth getting in to debate here.

Advertisement