Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Van

• 23-12-2013 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Evening All

Passed a speed van last night, but didn't see it in time. I saw a little flash when I was really close and then another as I was passing it. I'm guessing this does not bode well for me, although when I did spot it I checked my speed and it showed about 3kms over. Is there any chance those flashes were for someone behind? Does anyone know from what distance the camera records your speed? Am dreading the next few weeks waiting for the post...:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Evening All

Passed a speed van last night, but didn't see it in time. I saw a little flash when I was really close and then another as I was passing it. I'm guessing this does not bode well for me, although when I did spot it I checked my speed and it showed about 3kms over. Is there any chance those flashes were for someone behind? Does anyone know from what distance the camera records your speed? Am dreading the next few weeks waiting for the post...:eek:

AFAIK, they always take pictures. Even if you're not speeding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

They also don't flash any more, at least in the visible spectrum. You should see a doctor about that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Newstarter1

:D This one definitely flashed - there was a small area above the non camera side that definitely had a white light that went on and off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Maybe he opened the door. :-)

:D Thanks!

So is there any leeway with the speed vans - I know someone once told me it was the speed limit +10% but I'm not sure they weren't taking the mick or if not, if this is still the case with the vans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

You are not alone, also passed one last night and it flashed too.

Don't know why it flashed me as I was doing 90 in a 100 zone but there were other cars from the boat travelling in the same direction going much harder.

Like the OP dreading the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

You are not alone, also passed one last night and it flashed too.

Don't know why it flashed me as I was doing 90 in a 100 zone but there were other cars from the boat travelling in the same direction going much harder.

Like the OP dreading the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

I think they can setup on one side of the road but they're actually catching the cars driving on the opposite side away from the van if you get me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

AFAIK the way they do it is e.g,speed limit of 50km's so 10% of 50 =5 + 3km's means at 58km's you are over,my source says its how the gatso's work it out but i am OPEN TO CORRECTION

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    AFAIK the way they do it is e.g,speed limit of 50km's so 10% of 50 =5 + 3km's means at 58km's you are over,my source says its how the gatso's work it out but i am OPEN TO CORRECTION

I am so hoping you are right.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

a buddy of mine (mad bastard :D) got pulled for speeding a while back ,fined, points, etc....swore revenge on the nice gentleman in the gatso van ;), he got the reg of the van, got plates made up ,every time the van is in the area, he goes past it like a demon on crack ,yer man in the van nearly burns out the camera taking shots, best revenge ever :D:D:D:D a gatso van that fines itself :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

My ma got caught doing 89 kph in an 80 kph zone, so I think you're not correct. :D

I am so hoping you are right.
    Thanks!

i've heard that calculation being given by more than one person and they are both reasonably senior in age,best of luxk though if you hear nothing in the next 2/3 weeks it will be positive i imagine,check out garda checkpoints cork in facebook and twitter the man who runs both pages knows his stuff

Sobanek wrote: »
    My ma got caught doing 89 kph in an 80 kph zone, so I think you're not correct. :D

read the part of my sentence which is in CAPITAL LETTERS

Sobanek wrote: »

where the +3 comes from i dont know but even if you add the 10% only then maybe thats why :-) i am only passing on info from people who have actually experienced it and thankfully i never have and hopefully never will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

a buddy of mine (mad bastard :D) got pulled for speeding a while back ,fined, points, etc....swore revenge on the nice gentleman in the gatso van ;), he got the reg of the van, got plates made up ,every time the van is in the area, he goes past it like a demon on crack ,yer man in the van nearly burns out the camera taking shots, best revenge ever :D:D:D:D a gatso van that fines itself :pac::pac::pac:

I'd take that story with a pinch of salt, if I were you.

To be honest, I couldn't really see me doing something similar :eek: I think if I do get a notice in the post, I'm more likely to resemble the chauffer from 'Driving Miss Daisy' afterwards than the mad bastard (and I quote) mentioned earlier ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Chances of getting away with doing 135 on a motorway are extremely remote in fairness.

There is a certain amount of discretion used at times, but despite what the urban legend might say I dont think there is any sort of "10% + 3" type hard and fast rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Allowances are there because speedos are inaccurate. Thus if you get a ticket (EG) that says you were doing 89 in an 80, then you actually were doing that speed and your speedo probably was reading 98 or so! (or put simply, bang to rights)

I could understand allowances if speedos read low, but the fact that speedos read high surely means that the speedo is making all the allowances that you need? If your speedo is even 5% inaccurate then it is reading 126 when you are at the motorway limit. How much more of an allowance do people expect?

I have no issues with descretion being shown, but anyone who thinks that they are going to get away with going "10%+3" over the limit, when in reality their speedo is possibly reading even higher than that again, is massively deluding themselves (in other words, they feel they should be getting away with a speedo that reads 142 or possibly more on a motorway).

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    I could understand allowances if speedos read low, but the fact that speedos read high surely means that the speedo is making all the allowances that you need? If your speedo is even 5% inaccurate then it is reading 126 when you are at the motorway limit. How much more of an allowance do people expect?

I have no issues with descretion being shown, but anyone who thinks that they are going to get away with going "10%+3" over the limit, when in reality their speedo is possibly reading even higher than that again, is massively deluding themselves (in other words, they feel they should be getting away with a speedo that reads 142 or possibly more on a motorway).
    its a guide/allowance,the statute books and their content is what matters at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Respectfully, thats utter nonsense.

Firstly, its not called GATSO. Thats the fixed cameras of which there are few if any operational in Ireland. Its usually RedFlex or MulitNova / Robot Van.

All GoSafe and Garda speed tech is accurate to +/- 1.5km/h. So, the tolerance used be somewhere in the region of 3km/h (So 53km/h real speed in a 50km/h was a snap) Apparently its now lower.

However, that said, if your speed is showing 53km/h, your true speed is probably anywhere between 5 and 10% less (47km/h or there abouts) So if you are snapped doing say 55km/h in a 50km/h, your speedo was probably showing upwards of 58km/h. i.e. You knew your were well over the limit.

Garda vans do occasionally flash (The tech is being phased out) But if it flashes, you will absolutely know about it. Its blinding, I mean daylight and your cornea's won't thank you for it. If you are seeing a 'small' flash in the window, its more than likely your headlights reflecting off the reflector in the flash unit itself.

Also, bear in mind, a speed camera will not snap two offenses at the same time. i.e. If you are neck and neck with someone, the photo must be discarded. They can only issue a fine to a single motorist, travelling in either direction but the motorist must be on their own i.e. You can't snap a car coming towards and going away at the same time.

Can I just clarify my speed was 3kms over the speed limit in the area.

Just a question though. If all speedos are inaccurate and read high as suggested, then that would mean that if you were driving at the speed limit of an area, you would be automatically speeding, wouldn't it??:confused:

That's my question answered - thanks! The flash I saw was definitely not blinding, so perhaps it was a reflection from both my car and the car behind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

That's my question answered - thanks! The flash I saw was definitely not blinding, so perhaps it was a reflection from both my car and the car behind

That's the most likely answer I reckon.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Respectfully, thats utter nonsense.

Firstly, its not called GATSO. Thats the fixed cameras of which there are few if any operational in Ireland. Its usually RedFlex or MulitNova / Robot Van.

All GoSafe and Garda speed tech is accurate to +/- 1.5km/h. So, the tolerance used be somewhere in the region of 3km/h (So 53km/h real speed in a 50km/h was a snap) Apparently its now lower.

However, that said, if your speed is showing 53km/h, your true speed is probably anywhere between 5 and 10% less (47km/h or there abouts) So if you are snapped doing say 55km/h in a 50km/h, your speedo was probably showing upwards of 58km/h. i.e. You knew your were well over the limit.

Garda vans do occasionally flash (The tech is being phased out) But if it flashes, you will absolutely know about it. Its blinding, I mean daylight and your cornea's won't thank you for it. If you are seeing a 'small' flash in the window, its more than likely your headlights reflecting off the reflector in the flash unit itself.

Also, bear in mind, a speed camera will not snap two offenses at the same time. i.e. If you are neck and neck with someone, the photo must be discarded. They can only issue a fine to a single motorist, travelling in either direction but the motorist must be on their own i.e. You can't snap a car coming towards and going away at the same time.

sorry about that professor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Aww, did the big bad knowledgeable user make oo feel aw stoopid?

Thanks ironclaw, I didn't realise some vans with non-IR flashes were still out there.

its a guide/allowance,the statute books and their content is what matters at the end of the day

Is it in the statute book to allow a certain amount over the limit?

you are the expert dear sir,please continue with your expertise your majesty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

No there is no Statue limit. If your 1km/h over then you are speeding. Its cut and dry.

Common sense would dictate you would allow the margin of error in the allowance i.e. If the equipment is accurate to +/- 1.5km/h, then you'd take anything 2km/h as being 'over' the limit as it leaves no room to be challenged. In my observation, Garda generally seem to pull people in what I would term 'taking the mick' speeds i.e. 10km/h over the limit but they could just as easily pull for 2km/h over the limit.

However, Irish law makes no provision for the equipment to be calibrated, in good working order or provide proof it is accurate. So basically, if someone says you were speeding then thats it. If someone with enough money wanted to challenge it (And your probably talking Supreme court as you would be challenged a statue) then I'd welcome it as its utterly bonkers as it stands.

Btw, the lads are camped in Donnybrook this fine evening :rolleyes:

Advertisement