Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freesat on LG TVs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭peking97

Just a quick update.
    Postcode on my LG is entered in the Option menu if Country set to UK.
    I set country to UK and entered UK postcode but still no Freesat tuning menu available, just the regular FTA satellite tuning menu so I assume the freesat feature, if it is to be made available at all for this model TV, has not yet been added.
    I've never been able to find a changelog for any LG firmwares, more is the pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

I'm the same, lg site tells me my latest FW is 4.27.05 but I got a ~500mb upgrade yesterday to 4.27.08

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the update☺ but alas it was not to be as freesat is not there as far as I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

Entering a post code is only available with freesat, not on LG?
    Not relevant yet, but where will the postcode be entered? Is it in TV settings?

LG Smart TVs have always had the option to enter a Postal Code, (at least when set to UK, I've never had mine on Ireland), long before there was any mention of Freesat being added to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Another LG SmartTV 32LB580V owner, it was on Ver 03.03.13 so updated via USB. I wouldn't trust my 3 connection to do the download directly. Newest software on the website was 04.04.07. The only really obvious change is it now says FREEVIEW HD on the guide screen but no EPG.

my3cents wrote: »
    Another LG SmartTV 32LB580V owner, it was on Ver 03.03.13 so updated via USB. I wouldn't trust my 3 connection to do the download directly. Newest software on the website was 04.04.07. The only really obvious change is it now says FREEVIEW HD on the guide screen but no EPG.

My 32LB650V (which I believe is pretty much the same TV) was on 04.XX.XX since I bought it in March, it's currently on 05.00.20 - I wonder is yours fully up to date? Is your Freeview HD logo the old one (Freeview in a red box) or the new one (the word Freeview beside a funny shaped letter F)? Mine only changed to the new logo with the 05.XX.XX update.

Mine still doesn't have Freesat however.

• Advertisement

danm14 wrote: »
    My 32LB650V (which I believe is pretty much the same TV) was on 04.XX.XX since I bought it in March, it's currently on 05.00.20 - I wonder is yours fully up to date? Is your Freeview HD logo the old one (Freeview in a red box) or the new one (the word Freeview beside a funny shaped letter F)? Mine only changed to the new logo with the 05.XX.XX update.

Mine still doesn't have Freesat however.

Previously the Ver 03 firmware didn't have a logo at all now I have a red Freeview logo. Version 04.04.07 was the newest version I could get from LG's website. As I said I wouldn't risk doing an automatic update which might get a newer version.

The new update (05.XX.XX) is much better, you can download it online and use USB but I can't remember where I got it, it wasn't from LG's site.

There's still no Freesat but you can switch between Saorview and FTA Satellite much more quickly, the TV is generally much faster, the menus look better, you get channel logos as well as names, when you're changing channel you can see what's on now instead of just the channel number and name, and there's way more stuff I've left out

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

There's still no Freesat but you can switch between Saorview and FTA Satellite much more quickly,

How many key presses are now needed??

raddo wrote: »
    How many key presses are now needed??

Five: LIVE MENU > GREEN > UP/DOWN > UP/DOWN > OK

I don't know if that's necessarily less key presses but it is significantly faster to change as you don't have to wait for the TV Guide to open and close.
    Takes me just under 6 seconds (timed from the first button press until a picture from the opposite source appears) compared to just over 11 seconds for the old way.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

LG Smart TVs have always had the option to enter a Postal Code, (at least when set to UK, I've never had mine on Ireland), long before there was any mention of Freesat being added to them

Mine is set to UK but it didnt give an option for postcode.
    The new update (05.XX.XX) is much better, you can download it online and use USB but I can't remember where I got it, it wasn't from LG's site.

The LG site for my 42 inch is a few versions behind whats available through wifi connection.
    The latest firmware through the wifi seems to be downloadable from a 49 inch TV. I havent downloaded it yet though.

• Advertisement

Mine is set to UK but it didnt give an option for postcode.

Mine always has since I bought it earlier this year, "Service Area Postal Code", it's called, I'm prompted for it when selecting the country but it's optional.

Mine always has since I bought it earlier this year, "Service Area Postal Code", it's called, I'm prompted for it when selecting the country but it's optional.

yeah might have a look again, retune everything, if/when the freesat update comes in... I shouldnt need to rearrange the channel list then.. i hope...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭techdiver

Just got an update this morning on my LB580V, but still no freesat option.

I have my country set to UK and have a UK post entered, but the tuner options are still only Satellite, Cable and Antenna.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Have you done a factory reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭techdiver

Have you done a factory reset?

Not yet. Don't want to loose my channel lineup.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think you can save the programme settings to USB and reload them later.

It is possible the Freesat option would only appear after a factory reset.

I think you can save the programme settings to USB and reload them later.

It is possible the Freesat option would only appear after a factory reset.

I'll wait for someone else to give that a try and report back :D

Every time I retune all the main channels move up or down a number or two so I get into trouble for "messing with the TV again :mad:".

Factory reset does nothing, no freesat

I'll try the factory reset and report back.
    My LB580V is on F/W 04.04.10 which is the latest available for this model.
    I've got my channel line-up saved on USB stick so no major hassle.

Just now saw danm14's post so will abandon that idea.

Our televisions were sold as being just a normal terrestrial TV (in the UK, I know most of the Irish retailers made a selling point of the satellite tuner and rightly so). In the UK, there was no mention of a satellite tuner on the box, website, manual, etc, and people who contacted LG support were told that if it worked, that's great, but it wasn't supported in the UK, and indeed some units had the F connector or a hole on the back but no actual tuner installed. So perhaps only models sold as "having a satellite tuner" in the UK will get the Freesat update, and not just any LG TV which happened to have a satellite tuner that wasn't advertised.

• Advertisement

That is just typical of UK retailers. "Why would anyone want a Satellite tuner? Only Sky do satellite."

When people here were looking for MPEG 4 HD tuners, the UK retailers said 'not here' when it was on the TV because (at the time) they had not started broadcasting in DVB-T1 MPEG 4 just DVB T1 MPEG 2, they only started when HD started - then they had DVB-T2 MPEG 4 HD.

Our televisions were sold as being just a normal terrestrial TV (in the UK, I know most of the Irish retailers made a selling point of the satellite tuner and rightly so). In the UK, there was no mention of a satellite tuner on the box, website, manual, etc, and people who contacted LG support were told that if it worked, that's great, but it wasn't supported in the UK, and indeed some units had the F connector or a hole on the back but no actual tuner installed. So perhaps only models sold as "having a satellite tuner" in the UK will get the Freesat update, and not just any LG TV which happened to have a satellite tuner that wasn't advertised.

I was told the same thing here in Ireland, the satellite connection isn't supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The TV's that are sold in the UK that dont mention a satellite tuner is done deliberately because the UK satellite version of the UK terrestrial system is called Freesat and requires software written using MEHG/Huffman.

That is why they dont advertise the satellite tuner. So as to not cause confusion as to where the freesat menu is. The only ones mentioned that have a satellite tuner are the ones labelled "Freesat HD". They wouldn't require an update if they already had it.

LG TV's are pan european. You choose the country and it turns on and off items. Example. You wont see the BBC Iplayer software if your Tv is set to Ireland.

I would guess that the ones that will actually get the update are those that are Smart TVs that have a satellite tuner. The firmware is 500megs. I cannot see them doing that OTA.

One thing is for sure, there have been a lot of people buying LG's thinking that this update would be available this century. Time for the spanners who announced to cough up the firmware or at least start

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

That is just typical of UK retailers. "Why would anyone want a Satellite tuner? Only Sky do satellite."

When people here were looking for MPEG 4 HD tuners, the UK retailers said 'not here' when it was on the TV because (at the time) they had not started broadcasting in DVB-T1 MPEG 4 just DVB T1 MPEG 2, they only started when HD started - then they had DVB-T2 MPEG 4 HD.

Well, UK retailers are just responding to a consumer perception that satellite=Sky. Total free satellite ( including Freesat and free Sky) has about 11% of the satellite market in the UK (2012 data) which is probably a lot higher than here. Why should UK retailers care about less than 10% of the Irish market ?

Having said that, it is good to see that higher end SMART tvs from Sony, Panasonic and now LG are supporting both Freesat and Saorview. Personally speaking, the chance to throw away STBs and multiple remotes makes a compelling case for one of these new televisions.

whatever_ wrote: »
    Well, UK retailers are just responding to a consumer perception that satellite=Sky. Total free satellite ( including Freesat and free Sky) has about 11% of the satellite market in the UK (2012 data) which is probably a lot higher than here. Why should UK retailers care about less than 10% of the Irish market ?

I'd be very sceptical if <10% of Ireland had free satellite, the vast majority of Irish people want or "need" the UK channels, that's why cable TV and MMDS were set up, cable only started carrying more than the main UK & Irish channels in the late 80s as far as I know.

~2% of the UK need Satellite to get the main UK channels and ~10% need it to get more than the main 5 channels and a handful extra.

I'd say at a push ~20% of the Republic of Ireland can reliably receive the UK channels terrestrially with a sensibly sized aerial, and I very, very much doubt anything over 50% over the remainder have only the Irish channels, cable, MMDS or Sky on all their TVs.

I'd be guessing at the very least 30/40% of Ireland have free satellite on at least one television?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Anyone get freesat working with the update?

Updated last night. May have a go at retuning the freesat later and see if that does it...

Just dont fancy moving all the channels after if it doesnt work... :(

That's where the ChanSort program is invaluable.
    You can save your current setup and reload it afterwards if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

So.....the version that has the Freesat SDK rolled into the firmware is 04.00.55.

If you have the LF630 or LF650 and this latest firmware, then you now have an option of Freesat or FTA Only in the Programme Tuning settings for satellite.

No update on the implementation of the update for other legacy models just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

STB. wrote: »
    So.....the version that has the Freesat SDK rolled into the firmware is 04.00.55.

If you have the LF630 or LF650 and this latest firmware, then you now have an option of Freesat or FTA Only in the Programme Tuning settings for satellite.

No update on the implementation of the update for other legacy models just yet.

The LG site hasn't updated yet with this version for both models, under Software Update - 04.00.15 - 24/9/15

http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-32LF630V
    http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-32LF650V

Any chance of some screen grabs?
    Do u have to be in UK mode?
    And how easy is it to switch between Saorview and Freesat?

Thanks

Advertisement