Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat on LG TVs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Being back ported to TV's with Smart functionality....... You'll see the update popup.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Hmmmm

I've a smart LG with sat tuner and tuned in the channels but to be honest they're a mess. Scattered and unsorted

What does this mean for me? I'll get a better EPG and 1 version of C4? Instead of the countless ones scattered all over the place

Sounds good though....

Hmmmm

I've a smart LG with sat tuner and tuned in the channels but to be honest they're a mess. Scattered and unsorted

What does this mean for me? I'll get a better EPG and 1 version of C4? Instead of the countless ones scattered all over the place

Sounds good though....

Means they will be no longer be a mess. You will not have to worry about re-tuning in channels when they are moved around. The EPG is 7 days instead of now and next.

FreesatFreetimeBackEPG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭ei9go

Wonder do you have to reinstall with UK selected?

Downloaded a large update but no freesat showed up

ei9go wrote: »
    Wonder do you have to reinstall with UK selected?

Downloaded a large update but no freesat showed up

I'd say so... they are pan european TV's. In the middle of the d/l myself. It popped us last night, but ignored it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭peking97

Can someone post the new firmware number please?
    My 32LB580V-ZM is on firmware 04.04.07 but shows no update available.
    TV was bought just last year and has Smart functionality so I thought it might be eligible for this Freesat update?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

peking97 wrote: »
    Can someone post the new firmware number please?
    My 32LB580V-ZM is on firmware 04.04.07 but shows no update available.
    TV was bought just last year and has Smart functionality so I thought it might be eligible for this Freesat update?:confused:

Does your TV have a Satellite input similar to this
    3bd0dee679e5620999661ae5405d6bd0_0.jpg

It does yes and I receive the FTA satellite channels fine plus Soarview of course.

@ peking....Turn on your wifi. Go into the settings and firmware update and chose update.

Yes I've done that but it reports that I already have the latest F/W version 04.04.07.

• Advertisement

peking97 wrote: »
    Yes I've done that but it reports that I already have the latest F/W version 04.04.07.

Well they might be pushing it out in stages.

TBH I haven't changed my bedroom LG back to the UK yet, so havent seen whether the firmware is the Freesat update.

My firmware is now 24.07.05. That might not be uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Will take time to implement on all models to be fair I'm sure its worthy of the wait, truly excellent that a lot of previous models will be also supported...

you can also check there website for firmware upgrades..

http://www.lg.com/uk/support/software-manuals

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭raddo

Changed the region on my to UK and updated software to 04.27.05 but no freesat on it.
    Does it automatically become freesat when you select satellite feed or does it need to be selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭raddo

Just thinking about it, I wonder if TV's that aren't actually advertised as having a satellite input will get the freesat update?
    I have a LG Smart TV with both saorview and satellite tuners but in the description on their website it is
    42LN575V
    SMART TV WITH BUILT IN WI-FI AND FREEVIEW HD

No mention of the satellite tuner

Hmmmm

I've a smart LG with sat tuner and tuned in the channels but to be honest they're a mess. Scattered and unsorted.

Have you considered using ChanSort to place them in a similar line-up to freesat?
    That's what I've done and I find it very good.
    It can be downloaded here:-
    https://github.com/PredatH0r/ChanSort/releases

steveon wrote: »
    Will take time to implement on all models to be fair I'm sure its worthy of the wait, truly excellent that a lot of previous models will be also supported...

you can also check there website for firmware upgrades..

http://www.lg.com/uk/support/software-manuals

The two models mentioned in the press release LF630V and LF650V have the 03.20.25 firmware version

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Still remember the time a few years ago when owners of LG Freesat TVs could request a free Humax Freesat receiver because they had some issue updating the firmware on the TVs to support new services. Both my LG TV and Humax box are still going strong! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

JDxtra wrote: »
    Still remember the time a few years ago when owners of LG Freesat TVs could request a free Humax Freesat receiver because they had some issue updating the firmware on the TVs to support new services. Both my LG TV and Humax box are still going strong! :)

Yes, the LF7700 series were DTV/Analogue/FTA/Freesat TVs, I still have mine and its still going strong, but the performance of the Freesat guide is very poor and its impossible to edit the channels. LG realised the series was not powerful enough and offered the Humax boxes as compensation - gave mine to my parents

Just for info please see below the reply recd. from LG when asked if Freesat update to be rolled-out to 32LB580V...

"Thank you for your query regarding your LG products, first of all, I do apologize about the delay here. I have had a look into this for you and unfortunately as this press release was only just released we don't have any information on which TVs this update will be released to. The best thing you can do is to keep an eye on your TV and as long automatic updates is ticked then this would come automatically to your TV.
    I hope my email has answered your query and assisted you today; I would really appreciate your feedback. Please help us to improve our customer service by completing the short survey at the bottom of this email.

Thank you in advance."

So it seems to be a wait and see scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

My TV was only updated 12th September but that was before the announcement

Fingers crossed though that the updates will be quick

• Advertisement

Does anyone have the following models LF630V and LF650V, which are mentioned in the press release?

If so, is Freesat available?

Any chance of some screen grabs

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Hi All

What does this do on one of the LG tv's mentioned that is not on a Sony TV I looked at in a shop today, that has freesat and the shop assistant said you would not have to re tune the channels and they would always be in the same position?

I did ring LG customer service about this and the girl I got through to had not a clue what I was going on about, so I had to email a link to the press release to the main customer service email in LG , but I have not received a reply to it. I showed the press release to the shop assistant who said it looks like that would only work in the UK, now of course he was trying to sell me a Sony, which to be fair was android which looks to be a better prospect ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

clogher71 wrote: »
    What does this do on one of the LG tv's mentioned that is not on a Sony TV I looked at in a shop today, that has freesat and the shop assistant said you would not have to re tune the channels and they would always be in the same position?

Freesat is actually a brandname, though it unfortunately makes a catchy generic term for anything that can receive free-to-air satellite transmissions, but basic generic receivers will only have now-&-next programme info for UK channels, & no ability to do automatic retunes if channels change frequency.

I'm not aware of Sony having Freesat TVs, though it's been reported here before that at least some of their satellite tuner-equipped models can access a proper EPG if they have an internet connection. Don't know if they can handle automatic retunes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

clogher71 wrote: »

I did ring LG customer service about this and the girl I got through to had not a clue what I was going on about, so I had to email a link to the press release to the main customer service email in LG , but I have not received a reply to it. I showed the press release to the shop assistant who said it looks like that would only work in the UK, now of course he was trying to sell me a Sony, which to be fair was android which looks to be a better prospect ....

Until recently only Panasonic and Samsung made Freesat TVs, LG has recently come on-board, http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/recommended/freesat-tvs-with-freetime

Sony previously had Freesat TVs in their range but not since 2010/11 IIRC, some of their range have a FTA sat tuner which isn't as user friendly as Freesat.

With Freesat, channels pay a fee to be included on the Freesat epg and are allocated a fixed position, channel changes are updated automatically .

Freesat TVs will work here without problem when setup with UK as the install country and using a UK postcode to set the region, doing this though positions the Saorview channels in the 800s but they should easily be repositioned in the terrestrial section as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Only problem with doing this is that it may break series link on Saorview (certainly happens on Samsung devices).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

JDxtra wrote: »
    Only problem with doing this is that it may break series link on Saorview (certainly happens on Samsung devices).

Series link only works on Saorview approved PVRs - there is only one - the Walker box (that has got very bad reports).

It used to work with Freeview PVRs but last year Saorview messed with their signal and banjaxed them all. It also added 38 blank channel headers and put SSU channels as the first channel in the mux which prevents my LG TV from putting RTE 1 in position one.

Saorview take the line that if it is not Saorview approved and set to Country= Ireland then it has nothing to do with them. BS - it is deliberate for some undisclosed reason.

Series link only works on Saorview approved PVRs - there is only one - the Walker box (that has got very bad reports).

It used to work with Freeview PVRs but last year Saorview messed with their signal and banjaxed them all. It also added 38 blank channel headers and put SSU channels as the first channel in the mux which prevents my LG TV from putting RTE 1 in position one.

Saorview take the line that if it is not Saorview approved and set to Country= Ireland then it has nothing to do with them. BS - it is deliberate for some undisclosed reason.

Country choice drives LCN for your country placing "foreign" channels in the 800+ group depending on country selected. LCN can be manipulated anyhow with software like chansort.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

STB. wrote: »
    Country choice drives LCN for your country placing "foreign" channels in the 800+ group depending on country selected. LCN can be manipulated anyhow with software like chansort.

The problem I have is specific to the LG TV I have as it has no "Country=" option - it is UK specific. I have been onto LG customer support and got nowhere.

The TV grabs the SSU channel and refuses to allow reassignment, and since both muxes are set up the same, I cannot use position 1 for RTE 1. My channels start at 2.

I have got nowhere on any of these problems.

The problem I have is specific to the LG TV I have as it has no "Country=" option - it is UK specific. I have been onto LG customer support and got nowhere.

The TV grabs the SSU channel and refuses to allow reassignment, and since both muxes are set up the same, I cannot use position 1 for RTE 1. My channels start at 2.

I have got nowhere on any of these problems.

The LG you have does not allow choosing a country at set up ? What model ?

You believe that the software update stream is overriding your ability to manually alter logical channel numbering ? Why ?

On LG TV's you can only change the programme number using "Move"function, if "Automatic Numbering" is unchecked when you start Auto Tuning.

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »
    The LG you have does not allow choosing a country at set up ? What model ?

40LD490 - it has a DVB T2 tuner.
    You believe that the software update stream is overriding your ability to manually alter logical channel numbering ? Why ?

I have no idea, but it does grab the slot and it cannot be moved. LG says talk the the broadcaster/service supplier. Saorview say - if it is not Saorview approved and Country= Ireland, it is nothing to do with us.
    On LG TV's you can only change the programme number using "Move"function, if "Automatic Numbering" is unchecked when you start Auto Tuning.

That makes no difference to SSU channels. The only way I can see of solving this particular prblem is to cart the TV up to NI or down to Wexford and tun in BBC channels, but not Saorview channels, then tuning in Saorview channels when I get home and sorting the channels and then deleting the BBC ones.

Or persuade Saorview to stick the SSU channels at the end instead of at the start.

I have spent a lot of time and effort to no avail.

Advertisement