Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭baldymac

Are criminals allowed to decided the length of their sentences and where they serve them?

If you are going down the road of not paying there could be other consequences for you and your private property. Inform yourself of all the facts.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2011/7411/b7411s.pdf

developers didnt get punished so why should we

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

lugha wrote: »
    I find it hard to take seriously, someone who proposes the tiresome old “cut politicians pay” as solution to a financial crisis. It is a notion that has some merit as a gesture for the purpose of establishing a sense of solidarity between politicians and the people and there is certainly an argument that politicians remuneration is much too high. But it will make no meaningful contribution to the solutions of our problems.
    ?

It's called showing leadership by example. It also gives politicians something which only a handful of them have right now in this country...... the high moral ground to start to speak to people about austerity. It might also lead to pay reform within other aspects of local and national government (semi-state head salaries, county managers salaries, etc etc). It also rules out union leaders (guys on 100K plus) from spouting nonsense about cutbacks when the people they are attacking are on significantly less than them.

It is of course a Utopian ideal and one that will never, ever be put in place in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...If you are going down the road of not paying there could be other consequences for you and your private property...

There was me thinking I read in many posts here, stated by those that want us to pay it, that the home was in no danger!

I must have been seeing things!
    Which is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

If slashing politicians pay will make no meaningful contribution to the problem then how does my 100 euro make a difference to it????
    Few:Many

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

baldymac wrote: »
    developers didnt get punished so why should we

Punish them for what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭baldymac

Punish them for what?

finishing the job they set out to do,they borrowed for from the banks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,474 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Biggins wrote: »
    There was me thinking I read in many posts here, stated by those that want us to pay it, that the home was in no danger!

Which is it?

I have no idea what you mean. You may indeed have been seeing things.

Which is it?
    ffs biggins - did you even bother to read the link that was posted? I think you know exactly what is being referred to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

dvpower wrote: »
    Few:Many

Lets see, 1700 houses pay and it goes to Phils pay packet, next 1500 go to pay Berties pension etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

So we are paying for footpaths. Wow. Maybe they should give people a step counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Lets see, 1700 houses pay and it goes to Phils pay packet, next 1500 go to pay Berties pension etc..

Maybe it will go directly to the Councils, have you seen the size of the salaries and retirment packages their top people are 'entitled' to....
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,389 ✭✭✭✭kippy

ffs biggins - did you even bother to read the link that was posted? I think you know exactly what is being referred to.

I have yet to read the full text of the PDF outlining the legaglise of the act. I'd love to see it broken down to easily digestible pieces, and will have a google for a break down of it at some point.

Are you (and others) saying that the government can forcibly take your house from you if you don't pay the charge, similiar to not paying car tax?
    That would be an interesting direction to go down for numerous reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Think of another subject for tomorrow night's bedtime chat.
    Yep.Got it..Are'nt you glad that we're not being gullible enough to allow politicians fool us into giving money for "local services". Should be a nice evening:D

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    So we are paying for footpaths. Wow. Maybe they should give people a step counter.

The upkeep of footpaths I think was the actual term used, the interview is on newstalk player somewhere I would think.

What evidence do you have for this extraordinary claim that the government have been thieving money from the Local Government budget?
    Ha! lol

kippy wrote: »
    I have yet to read the full text of the PDF outlining the legaglise of the act. I'd love to see it broken down to easily digestible pieces, and will have a google for a break down of it at some point.

Are you (and others) saying that the government can forcibly take your house from you if you don't pay the charge, similiar to not paying car tax?
    They cannot take your house.
    They can (and will) put a charge on your house which means that when you sell or transfer your house, the sale can't go through until the charge is paid.

That was the consequence that allister was referring to; biggins well knows this but was playing games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What evidence do you have for this extraordinary claim that the government have been thieving money from the Local Government budget?

Its been stated many a time by politics.ie (example LINK) and lies undisputed by politicians.
    Its been stated in the Dail.
    Its been stated even on the Late Late show last Friday (go watch my video links again)- and was even not disputed then!

But seeing as I get the impression, you think I'm still lying, so here is more links...

* The Government claims that money raised from the household tax will fund libraries, parks and the fire service. But they won’t tell you that in order to fund the bailout they cut €170 million from the Local Gov- ernment Fund, which will close libraries, parks and fire stations.
    source: http://nohouseholdtax.org/dont-register-dont-pay-our-chance-to-say-no-to-austerity/

* The cutting back of 170 million by central government to councils so they can fund defunct banks
    Source: http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/177106-poll-shows-almost-half-people-will-not-pay-household-charge-23.html

* “The money from the charge will go towards central funds just like any other tax,” said Mr Burke. “Considering that the Government hopes to raise €160 million from this and has cut €170 million from local services, it is clear it will be going to the bondholders.”
    Source: http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/50124/battle-lines-drawn-as-household-charge-payment-deadline-looms

Want more sources?
    Still think I'm talking thought my backside?
    I think you need to start asking questions to your local TD!

I cannot believe you did not know this!
    Seriously?
    Its well known and has been debated in the Dail!

See pages 35 to 39 for a summary of the legislation. There is no clause allowing for the sequester of seizure of property.

Have a look under the 'services' section of your local authority website. What services do you wish to discontinue?
    None but theres a lot I'd love to have...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The upkeep of footpaths I think was the actual term used, the interview is on newstalk player somewhere I would think.

LOL. When was the last time you ever saw a local authority out repairing a footpath? Or a pothole for that matter. Even in the good times.

Little tidbit for you local Authorites spend a significant proportion of their budgets in the last six weeks. If they don't spend their budget in full they get less the following year. How exactly does this promote value for money?:D

• Advertisement

jluv wrote: »
    Ha! lol

Did you know your friend who was helping you with your grammar yesterday got banned for being a naughty boy.

They cannot take your house.
    They can (and will) put a charge on your house which means that when you sell or transfer your house, the sale can't go through until the charge is paid.

That was the consequence that allister was referring to; biggins well knows this but was playing games.
    Ah yes, I think I may have heard about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

galwayrush wrote: »
    Maybe it will go directly to the Councils, have you seen the size of the salaries and retirment packages their top people are 'entitled' to....
    :D

not a single council has accounted for the €100 per house in this years budgets. This is because the €100 is not going to the council, it's going to bridge the gap in the next bond payment. Maybe in future if this runs then the local council's will benefit but the €100 per house is a "registration fee" as has been stated by the government and is not being forwarded to the local council.

Want more sources?
    Still think I'm talking thought my backside?
    I think you need to start asking questions to your local TD!

I cannot believe you did not know this!
    Seriously?
    I want evidence to back up what you said i.e. that the government are thieving money.
    You are providing links to something entirely different.

You're very loose with your language around here biggins.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    LOL. When was the last time you ever saw a local authority out repairing a footpath? Or a pothole for that matter. Even in the good times.

Little tidbit for you local Authorites spend a significant proportion of their budgets in the last six weeks. If they don't spend their budget in full they get less the following year. How exactly does this promote value for money?:D
    Sorry, don't shoot the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Thats too short a question.

Maybe it should be: How should one propose to fund something with HOME TAX money that maybe spent 6(?) years ago, that the homebuyer is still paying on, with interest on till the end of their mortgage?

Ok, lets go with your question! The money is spent! So how so you suppose we unspend it to pay for services?
    They were glad enough to take it then to fund services supposedly.
    They of course, were the FF government. And the spent it on all manner of things, including (perhaps unwisely) reducing the tax take. (Presumably you will not be volunteering to return any such stamp money that was “misspent” in such ways, and for your benefit?)
    Now when our government has taken €170 million from the councils per year, they want us to fill the hole (again) due to their thieving/syphoning off!
    Thieving? Why do you call it thieving? Do you imagine that they pocketed the €170 million for themselves? We have a massive deficit to bridge and this is one of the many things they will do (i.e. restructure how local services are funded). You might call it many things, but thieving is just silly.

jluv wrote: »
    None but theres a lot I'd love to have...

... would require funding.

Did you know your friend who was helping you with your grammar yesterday got banned for being a naughty boy.
    And what would that have to do with the fact that I found something funny???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

phil1nj wrote: »
    It's called showing leadership by example. It also gives politicians something which only a handful of them have right now in this country...... the high moral ground to start to speak to people about austerity. It might also lead to pay reform within other aspects of local and national government (semi-state head salaries, county managers salaries, etc etc). It also rules out union leaders (guys on 100K plus) from spouting nonsense about cutbacks when the people they are attacking are on significantly less than them.

It is of course a Utopian ideal and one that will never, ever be put in place in this country.
    Ok, if you think such things important. But what will it do to make a meaningful contribution to the solutions of our problems? Nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

The top earners in this country pay a disproportionate amount of tax and account for the majority of the tax paid in this country. That is a fact and none of your accusations of tax evasion or avoidance will make that any different.

Don't begrudge their success merely because you haven't enjoyed any yourself. Be glad that so many have stuck around to keep the country running through paying taxes on their income and companies and indirectly through employing people who themselves pay tax.

list of some tax defaulters and amounts paid
    nuf said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement