Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

How do you know he was a poacher? Maybe he had permission to shoot on the land he was shooting on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Something strange going on in Mulhuddart wood, Gardai with gloves on standing outside a house opposite and a few other Gardai around also. A guy just arrived and was dressed up in forensic gear and was let into the house.
    Heres another garda van an ambulance van as I type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

zef wrote: »
    Something strange going on in Mulhuddart wood, Gardai with gloves on standing outside a house opposite and a few other Gardai around also. A guy just arrived and was dressed up in forensic gear and was let into the house.
    Heres another garda van an ambulance van as I type.

Anything else happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Larbre34 wrote: »

No idea how that made the newspapers, it's not newsworthy at all. It happens all over the country every single day of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Arciphel

This beaut of a comment seems to have got past the moderators on the Independent website :pac:
    <SNIP> Lets leave the idiocy on the info website though thanks</SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Praetorian22

I jog past this field a lot and walk the dog down there quite often. I presume it's the old "potatoes" fields as we used to call them when we were younger.

I have not come across a man with a rifle before, strange to say the least, but there is some game down there from what I've seen over the years.

The chap in the photo was obviously hunting. Canal can be a dodgy spot though. I remember around five years ago walking from clonsilla towards St Mochtas school at 6am. There was some nutter down there in the distance with some kind of samurai sword throwing shapes at a tree. He disappeared up the hill when he saw me and the dog coming.

Bear in mind this was 6am, bit strange coming across some dude out there fighting a tree at that hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

An elderly woman was living in the house alone. A neighbour had not seen her for a few days and looked in her letterbox and saw her lying there. Her body was taken away yesterday by ambulance and this morning there was still a Garda / forensics at the house.
    She apparently fell down the stairs the poor woman. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

zef wrote: »
    An elderly woman was living in the house alone. A neighbour had not seen her for a few days and looked in her letterbox and saw her lying there. Her body was taken away yesterday by ambulance and this morning there was still a Garda / forensics at the house.
    She apparently fell down the stairs the poor woman. R.I.P.

RIP

That's awful.

Poor woman :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭horse7

According to dinjoe at mass there were 8 break ins in laurel lodge this week and not one had their alarm turned on.Come on guys,,your asking for trouble.

horse7 wrote: »
    According to dinjoe at mass there were 8 break ins in laurel lodge this week and not one had their alarm turned on.Come on guys,,your asking for trouble.

Any boardies in laurel lodge got info on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭septictank

Hi horse7, I have a house in LLand haven't heard anything about the break ins, not that i'm around that much but thought I would have been told by neighbours.

Apparently most of the mass goers didnt know either.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Two in Carpenterstown two weeks ago... just heard afterwards..neither had alarm on or had proper lock on the door....T

Just saw this on facebook, hadn't heard anything about it previously... did this actually happen? :eek:

1z2Bzji.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

In fairness, though, it's the Mirror ... take with a pinch of salt?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ok Dave, the defeatist tone does nothing to inspire the rest of us.

That is horrific though if true, animals in this country suffer horribly at the whim of some of the zombies that roam around. Ive often thought the animal protection groups should just humanely cull the excess of neglected horses left tied up to die of illness and thirst on open land, they'd be better off than some of their eventual fates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

In fairness, though, it's the Mirror ... take with a pinch of salt?

Point taken :) If true though, it's absolutely awful. They must think they're in The Godfather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If it did actually happen there I'm surprised. There's no horses roaming that area and someone taking a horse into that park there would have been seen doing it as it would be an unusual sight.

Some of the time the media get confused between the 'new' Tyrrelstown and the original area beside Mulhuddart that had the name. In the wasteground beside what would have had the name originally has plenty of horses roaming around. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where it actually happened.

It was only a couple of weeks ago in which a car found burned out after a shooting was said to been have found in Tyrrelstown when it was nowhere near the area, wasn't even on the same side of the N3.

Well, the article has appeared in the Independent this morning, still another tabloid :pac: but the story is gaining traction so I assume it's based on fact. The title is "Horse head thrown in love rival’s window" and it says that "Gardai found the remainder of the horse’s carcass close to a pond at the back of Tyrellstown Park last Friday." Is this the same pond that that poor little boy drowned in earlier in the summer?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/horse-head-thrown-in-love-rivals-window-30516056.html

Arciphel wrote: »
    but the story is gaining traction so I assume it's based on fact.

Big mistake to make when it comes to the Indo. They also ran with the fact for almost 2 days that the car I mentioned in my aforementioned post was found in Tyrrelstown when it was obvious to everyone this wasn't the case, it was even pointed out to them very early on where it was actually found.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Arciphel wrote: »
    Well, the article has appeared in the Independent this morning, still another tabloid :pac: but the story is gaining traction so I assume it's based on fact. The title is "Horse head thrown in love rival’s window" and it says that "Gardai found the remainder of the horse’s carcass close to a pond at the back of Tyrellstown Park last Friday." Is this the same pond that that poor little boy drowned in earlier in the summer?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/horse-head-thrown-in-love-rivals-window-30516056.html

If you're talking about the kid that drowned trying to help the two girls then no. That was nowhere near Tyrrelstown. That incident was also very badly reported in terms of location. The people writing about these things clearly have no idea of the geography of West Dublin and don't seem to bother checking either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

If you're talking about the kid that drowned trying to help the two girls then no. That was nowhere near Tyrrelstown. That incident was also very badly reported in terms of location. The people writing about these things clearly have no idea of the geography of West Dublin and don't seem to bother checking either.

The first drowning was at Waterville, the second drowning was at Tyrrelstown where this horse seems to have been shot also.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

dickwod1 wrote: »
    The first drowning was at Waterville, the second drowning was at Tyrrelstown where this horse seems to have been shot also.

Sorry, didn't realise there had been a second drowning.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If it did actually happen there I'm surprised. There's no horses roaming that area and someone taking a horse into that park there would have been seen doing it as it would be an unusual sight.

Some of the time the media get confused between the 'new' Tyrrelstown and the original area beside Mulhuddart that had the name. In the wasteground beside what would have had the name originally has plenty of horses roaming around. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where it actually happened.

It was only a couple of weeks ago in which a car found burned out after a shooting was said to been have found in Tyrrelstown when it was nowhere near the area, wasn't even on the same side of the N3.

If you think there are no horses around Tyrellstown, you'd be mistaken. Take a trip down the Powerstown Rd and see how many there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ra0044

I walk the Tyrrelstown park morning and evening with my dog and can say that this story happening there is absolute rubbish. It has been its usual peaceful self without a sniff of anything untoward happening.

There are horses plenty on the fingal lands running down the Damastown Road and possibly in land around the area but to say it happened in the Tyrrelstown Park is ludicrous.

For those who dont know the park it is at the rear of the estate accessed by gates overlooked by many houses and apartments. It has a lovely pond with ducks which was where a young boy drowned in tragic circumstances when he wandered away from his home alone. The rest of the park is currently pathway winding around areas that will become football pitches, cricket pitches and an adventure playground which Leo Varadkar recently anounced funding for. It really is a very well used and peaceful place that is becoming all be it slowly an area that the whole community can use and be proud of.

I am sick to death of shoddy reporting of really serious events that name areas and taint them with an image and even worse leave a digital fingerprint that is picked up when a prospective buyer googles an area to buy in.

January wrote: »
    If you think there are no horses around Tyrellstown, you'd be mistaken. Take a trip down the Powerstown Rd and see how many there are.

That's Powerstown Road, not within Tyrrelstown, or near the park.

• Advertisement

Any boardies in laurel lodge got info on this.

I dont have any info on this but our estate was hit at a similar time on a sunday. We have CCTV of it, the guys going house to house.

Advertisement