Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Depends who you ask to be honest. Few different rumours but last I heard was he came home for a family event but will be back for some part of championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Whats peoples thoughts on the ACFL i see Ballyhaise going well just lost there first game at the weekend to Castlerahan it will be interesting to see if they get over the line this year in the Intermediate championship with there biggest challengers probably the team that just beat them. Crosserlough flying high and with the players they have to come back from the county setup they will surely be looking at the big prize this year along with the also unbeaten Ramor. Cootehill look in bother with only 1 draw to there name and Killygarry also struggling.

Newly promoted Drumlane top of Division 3 with Cuchulainns and the bridge on there tails. At the bottom it looks like Denn are going to get relegated you would wonder has the long season last year and all that has gone on up there the last few years taken a lot out of them. Lavey surprisingly down that end of the table as well.

Division 3, Templeport going strong and unbeaten so far and Drumalee going well also. I'm a bit surprised to see Shannon Gaels at the bottom of the table along with Maghera but they will be stronger come championship with Mcloughlin back and hopefully a full fit McGovern.

The three championships look to be very competitive this year and it is hard to pick a winner in each of them. Going by form at the moment i would be going for the below but i wouldnt be suprised if none of them won.

Senior : Crosserlough

Intermediate: Ballyhaise

Junior : Drumlane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Down at home.... Not the draw I'd have wanted

I’m happy with it. I would have preferred it to Longford, Fermanagh or Leitrim away. This North vs South section is a piss take though. North Section far stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I was well impressed with that performance. As you said, the Antrim lads were much stronger physically and that makes a huge difference at this level. Antrim were a sticky side and despite being the better team it was hard to pull away from them until the end. A lot of very positive performances there. Obviously Smith and Keaney are going to get the plaudits, but the two Tullys were superb as well. McCrystal looks very composed at centre half back.

They are well coached as they never panicked when Antrim kept reeling them back in which is a very good sign at minor. Great to have some young forwards that hopefully can progress. An Ulster final would be brilliant.

• Advertisement

Our recent record against Down is pretty good, but in the last 4 meetings we've won games that we easily could have or should have won. Down are definitely on the slide but I am sure if there is one team they can be fired up for, it's us. They had us dead and buried in 2020 (and more or less in 2018 before they imploded) so they will want to settle a score or two (and the league game in 2018 i am pretty certain Ray was MOTM).

For us, we have to know they will come out all guns blazing and that we have to treat this like a championship match. Probably preferable for us to think this is going to be a battle as opposed to a "we only have to show up for 10 minutes and we will be grand".

For some reason, I would have been more concerned if we had drawn London, Leitrim or Sligo. I think there would a bigger chance of complacency playing a team from Division four. Even though it seems like a Down side on the decline, it still is Cavan Vs Down (no disrespect to the other teams) and that along with the 2020 fixture should have us fairly focused.

Any club games scheduled for Saturday evening are now moved to Friday evening. Good to see the CB are learning from the mistakes they made earlier this year.

Scanning through the club Twitter pages on Friday, didn't see too many clubs posting their starting 15s. Anyone know did many county players get a run out? Interested to see if the Holla got more game time for Arva, Martin Reilly and Conor Smith for Killygarry and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm not surprised by Ballyhaise. They aren't doing well at underage but they are bringing through two to three strong players in each squad, have big numbers and a coach down there told me they have a number of players on many of the underage development panels. They also have no county players so are not weakened during the League. Compare that to say Gowna who are a rural club performing very well but were missing a huge number of U20s and a number of seniors also. Surprising to see Killygarry near relegation with the squads they have but then they don't seem to be able to perform to their potential as a club.

I presume you mean Division 2 re Drumlane and Cuchulainns. Somebody recently told me that Division 2 would be bottom four going to play offs for relegation so Denn may have a chance yet. It's amazing that only 4 points in that Division separates 4th and 13th after 8 games. Anyone that strings together a few wins could vie for promotion.

Some teams aren't taking the league seriously at all. Very hard for smaller clubs to be missing their top players. I certainly wouldn't count Gowna out of senior when they've everyone back and playing.

• Advertisement

Crosserlough didn't play the county lads. I was chatting to a Cornafean supporter and he said Gerry Smith & Chris Conroy won the Lavey game for them against the Reds.

Padraig Moore has also been back for Ballyhaise in most league games from what I see on Twitter and scoring heavily. He was in the county panel in 2018 i think and will be a handful for most senior defenders, let alone intermediate- IF he is about for the championship (which he hasn't for years).

I caught two league games in the last while and without naming teams, a few had "wintered well" and clearly aren't remotely near full tilt, and are probably not putting a massive shift in now. I assume that plenty of teams are going to do that.

Gowna were down the two Maddens, Brady and Pierson from the seniors and at least 4 or 5 from the under 20s for a majority of league games. With their u20s back, their results are already improving. Come championship they will be in the mix with Ramor and the Lough.

Fair enough. The Lough are really motoring and Paddy Lynch and James Smith aren't stuck for game time. Is Stephen Smith still on the county panel? Assuming everyone is fit come August, the Crosserlough are going to take some stopping. I know they got a really tight draw and weren't bet out the gate in any game, but i reckon your lads will be fairly fired up to correct the inertia in 2021. I can't but see Gowna being even stronger this year. Should be a humdinger of a championship so!

Indeed Gowna will be very strong i overlooked them they won't be far away.

There were some player issues last year which have now been ironed out but we couldn't have got a harder draw in 2021 either. I believe James Smith has nipped away on a short holiday. Not sure for how long but it is two weeks until Cavan's next game. I hadn't heard anything to the contrary re Stephen remaining on the panel.

The intermediate and junior should also be excellent. You've had Knockbride knocking on the door at junior with plenty of successful underage players coming up and, just when they thought they had got rid of Denn, they've Arva and Drumlane for company. Both suffered due to injuries last year and shouldn't be at that grade.

The intermediate too. A Castlerahan man said to me that they have two years to get back up or they'll be stuck. Juvenile teams playing at low levels. I think Sherock's level is an intermediate team. They held on at senior by the skin of their teeth for years. You do have teams like Bailieboro and Ballyhaise to battle it out though.

I'm not sure we will have a great ''Summer'' of football to look forward to. Cavan will have max 4 games between now and 09/07/2022 if they go all the way. Then the club championship will start in August. With only two Tailteann Cup games possible in June, and the League not being taken seriously by a majority of teams, June and July look fairly sparse for top quality football. As another poster mentioned, some clubs will only start moving towards being championship ready in the next few weeks.

I think plan is for championship in August and not before. I can't see them moving it. They'll run out the All County League until then.

It's a August start so the end of the competitions will then run into the start of the Ulster club championships that's the way it has more or less always been.

Down game is on Saturday 28th at 2. Would love a nice evening 5 or 6 game like the Waterford one but at least it's not on a Sunday!

Must be for Sky Sports coverage..

• Advertisement

Are Sky covering it? Have they Tailteann Cup games?

No i was joking i think there is one game on GAAGO this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

Leitrim v Antrim is on GAAGO on the 28th. Maybe the games are on at 2pm because the Heineken cup final is at 4 and the Champions league final at 8 that day.

There are games at 6.30 and 7.00 though.

Cavan v Down, Kingspan Breffni, 2pm

Leitrim v Antrim, Carrick-on-Shannon, 2pm - GAAGO

Longford v Fermanagh, Glennon Brothers Pearse Park, 6.30pm

Sligo v London, Markievicz Park, 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

Ok, i thought they were all at 2 which is a terrible time for it.

Three WAC podcasts discussing the pros and cons of the Tailteann Cup. We're in it and the fact is we couldn't beat Fermanagh or Wicklow last year so we deserve to be in it. The season before a home loss to Clare was criminal and they're no world beaters either. It's extra games for the squad so I think we need to embrace it and we also can't afford to be looking down our noses at it. We're so inconsistent that we could easily lose to Down - even with defections, they're a better team than other sides we have lost to in the last 2 years.

I haven't listened to the latest podcast yet. Someone like Terry Hyland would be excellent at that role. I'd imagine it's a full time position though so he wouldn't have time. Be interesting to see who fills the role. It's a pity an individual like Chris Conroy was allowed to slip away. He's a good coach and someone that players could respect also as he's performed at the top level. In fairness to the chairman Callaghan, he seems to be making the right moves as he's only two years in the position and we've won an Ulster and underage results have improved after an initial lull.

Down will not fear Cavan and I'm sure they will feel that they have something to prove after losing that Ulster semi final in 2020 where they were in a commanding position and really should have saw out the victory. I'm sure the odds of Cavan being 5/1 ON will greatly motivate them. At the end of the day, they started the year in Division 2 and we started it in 4.

Down haven't won a game all year lads and there captain rubbished the competition a few weeks ago before back tracking I wouldn't be overly concerned about them.

Before the Antrim game people were given Antrim every chance against us but they couldn't compete with us on the field. If we have no new injuries we should have a stronger panel now with the few lads that were on the bench the last day having time to up the fitness.

I fully agree with you, we should be winning this game, but, unfortunately, I've no faith in this team performing consistently. Who would have thought we'd lose to Wicklow last year?

In 2014 we went into a game against Westmeath in Breffni, who then hadn't won a game in 23 games or so, and struggled over the line by a point.

• Advertisement

Agree on consistency but i think Graham will have them ready for this.

After the league i wasn't happy with the performances but rightly or wrongly i now believe Graham had they just doing enough to get by and then beat Antrim and ambush Donegal in Clones.

Advertisement