Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My Autobiography - Opinions Welcome

Options
  • 11-01-2014 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

This is a few pages of my autobiography I have been working on for the last few years, when I can.

The events took place from mid 1950's Ireland onwards.

I would value any honest opinions and advice, This has not seen the light of day yet so its high time!

Many Thanks Sea_Witch:)

Young Country Girl Required
    Chapter One: In the beginning

“Get up or I’ll kill yea!” Mammy shouted, “I’m coming up that stairs with the flex of the kettle, if ye don’t get up I’ll kill yea all!”

I jolt out of sleep with my heart pounding; Dotty my sister was still asleep at the end of the bed. I gave her a shove to wake her up. I heard the lads moving around in their room, we all meet on the landing, bumping into each other as we leaped the steps running from room to room. Under our breaths we hissed “f__k off get out of me way” as the battled of trying to find our clothes commenced.

Mammy is still shouting up from the kitchen, “Will ye get up I said, its eight o clock and ye’ll be all late for school”. The lads charged downstairs, while I search franticly through the crumpled heaps of clothes. Panicking and cornered for time, I stood looking round the chaos of our bedroom the blood pounded through my head with frustration.

I am eleven years old and I am depressed because I know my life is and will always be f___ed up.

I stand there aching for a miracle or for some thing or some one to rescue me from the poverty of my surroundings. A sudden burst of sunlight streamed in through the window. I stand watching the explosion of a million golden dust particles swirling and glittering in the air. Out of the corner of my eye I caught the sunlight glint off the silver buttons on me father’s old railway coats thrown on the beds, making them look like gold coins.

Even though I knew this golden swirling dust display was created by the stampede of children in their morning exodus from the rooms. To me, it felt like a moment of magic sent by God to ease my darkened mood and to kill the feelings of anger. In the warmth of the sun I felt angels gather around me as I walk through the gold dust to the front window. The black shadow of the church clung to the houses on our street, but the way the sunlight caught the stained glass windows made it come alive adding intenseness to the moment.

The sun vanished as fast as it came and I was back to the reality of the grey room. I hit my knee off the bed when I turned too quickly in my search for my rest of my uniform. I look under the bed and caught my hair in one of the broken bed springs dangling in the shadows.

The beds had all seen better days, some were held together with bits of wire tied through the springs on to the bed posts. The faded striped mattresses all had huge dips in the middle. There was usually two or three of us to a bed. Getting into bed was a bit like holding on to the side of a mountain; we fought each other in order to get the best position where you didn’t slip down into the dip. Red horse hair stuffing burst out at various angles of the matrasses and rings of old piss stains that looked like maps of different parts of the world was the main pattern.

Flowery patterned wallpaper gone yellow with age hung on the walls. Layers of cheap lino that tore like paper covered the floor. Sagging curtains hung on six inch nails covered the windows.
    This is where I was born, the smell of bread and fresh blas from the Carrols bakery across the road wafted through the window brought me back to the moment and hungry for breakfast I bounded down the stairs. It was Monday morning in our house at number seven Church Street, another Monday morning after another Sunday night.

Sunday night was the worst night for drink and violence in our house, Mammy and us usual spent Sunday nights frightened and afraid to breath; or else having to run out of the house altogether.
    Last night was no different; as usual I couldn’t go to sleep with worry. I spend hours sitting up in bed watching Mammy paced up and down the room; at about ten fifteen there was a tiny tap on the bedroom door. My brothers Paddy and Frankie, who were waiting as well, asked “is he coming yet Mammy is it half past ten?”

She whispered “Yea can come in if ye be quiet” they came in and I pushed Dotty who was asleep in a bit so the lads could sit in long side me in the bed.

Mammy was fully dressed standing by the window, she has her speckled green coat on, a silky blue scarf and her rosary beads wrapped around her fingers. It was pitch black in the room, all you could see was the glow of her fag as she sucks in deeply she began to pray.

“Oh mother of divine Jesus look down on me and help me, O Secret heart of Jesus I place all my trust in thee….that bastard may he die roaring the c___t!”

She prayed in amid the cursing and at the same time implored all the angels and saints for protection. The glow of her fag was comforting to us as we looked up at her in the darkness waiting for the Daddy to come home.

The fear of him came in waves and went through me like a knife, trembling when I heard the echo of footsteps and the heels of men’s shoes clicking as they passed by the church. I could recognise the sound of my father’s voice amongst the raised voices and laughter of the crowd.

“Here he come’s lads!” Mammy said; “O Jesus Mary and Joseph, if I have to run lads I’ll be back after wards when he is gone asleep!”

“Good night Pat, good night Tommy” I heard my father shout to his drinking buddies who lived up the top of the street. He waited till his friends were well gone up the street, then the gate and the front door was almost taken off its hinges with the bang he’d gave it.
    That was it. We knew once the gate and the door banged, we were in for it. My stomach felt so tight I didn’t know whether I wanted to vomit or s__t myself, I was terrified.
    When I heard him coming up the stairs I jumped out of bed and opened the bedroom door, I didn’t know what I was going to do or why I thought I could do anything to stop him, it was like a spontaneous reaction.

He was half way up the stairs, he looked like a monster, wild eyed and baring his teeth; and like a Lion he took three steps of the stairs at a time. before we knew it he was in the room with his fists clenched as he’d lunge at Mammy. We ran around screaming, the younger ones who were still asleep in the house woke up screaming too.

I trembled and freeze. I felt like I was stuck to the floor, suspended in sheer terror.Everything looked like it was happening in slow motion. The heavy thuds of fists and screams of “Daddy, Daddy, stop, please Daddy!!” Mammy screamed “Oh Johnny don’t please Johnnie..!” She tried to get out of the room but he’d caught her and dragged her out on the landing before pushing her down the stairs to his room. We knew we could not follow her down the stairs he would have killed us, so we sat like little mice shaking in the dark wondering what was going on. Sometimes things would go quiet and then I could hear Mammy crying.

Misery filled the night as we waited for her to come back up to her room. I went in to calm the smaller children and they stopped crying and went back to sleep. Paddy and Frankie tried but couldn’t stay awake any longer made their way back to their room, their anxious faces looking pale and helpless. I sat on the step on the landing freezing in my vest. After what seemed like a lifetime Mammy crept back up the stairs, she lifted her head up when she reached the top of the stairs, her eyes widened in surprise to seem me.

She whispered to me “Creep down the stairs to the kitchen girl and get the basin and a face cloth, don’t make a sound”. She was bleeding from her nose and her hair was standing up.
    Like a mouse I made my way down stairs in the dark, stopping to listen on every step, holding my breath, one step at a time I made my way to the kitchen and felt my way around in the dark for the basin and cloth, I went back upstairs just like I had come down, rigid with fear.

I held the basin for her, when she let go of the rag she was holding the blood ran out of her nose like a tap. I hated him and wished he was dead. When she stopped bleeding she sat on the side of the bed and lit a fag, we whispered in the dark holding our breath when we heard the smallest sound or creek in the floor boards.
    At about two o clock, we heard him snoring; mammy breathed a sigh of relief and whispered more prayers. I snuggled in beside her and fell asleep.

The next thing I hear is Mammy shouting “Get up or ill kill Ye!” and it was Monday morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Wow, misery lit taken to new extremes.

I'm assuming this is fictional, as they didn't have kettle flexes in the 1950s, either to boil kettles or beat children. And I'd be amazed if any young girl in the 1950s actually stood there thinking "my life is ****ed". That's a very modern reaction.

I'm not sure if this is the beginning of the novel or a piece taken from the middle, but the question is, what's in it for the reader? We have to know these characters for us to care about them. Piling on descriptions of poverty and drunken abuse is not enough. Give us a sense of personality, a heroine we can care about, and so we'll worry when the dad gets drunk and abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sea_Witch

EileenG wrote: »
    Wow, misery lit taken to new extremes.

I'm assuming this is fictional, as they didn't have kettle flexes in the 1950s, either to boil kettles or beat children. And I'd be amazed if any young girl in the 1950s actually stood there thinking "my life is ****ed". That's a very modern reaction.

I'm not sure if this is the beginning of the novel or a piece taken from the middle, but the question is, what's in it for the reader? We have to know these characters for us to care about them. Piling on descriptions of poverty and drunken abuse is not enough. Give us a sense of personality, a heroine we can care about, and so we'll worry when the dad gets drunk and abusive.

Hi Eileen, thanks for the feedback.

I can assure you this is not a fictional story and the incident described above would have happened in the early 60's. I was born in 1953.

You are slightly accusatory in your tone overall? I was not planning on defending myself against accusations of lying.

Do you not believe this went on up and down the country at that time? Perhaps because it does not correspond to your life's experiences.

"'Id be amazed if any young girl in the 1950s actually stood there thinking "my life is ****ed".

That's how I felt at the time and as and adult I am now able recall my feelings and articulate them in a way that I could not do then.

As written at the top of the post, this is chapter one and just the first three pages.

This is the opening scene and the tone is being set for the story to follow.

Its is not a 5 page self contained story.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

wow

could not stop reading

my heart is pounding now

that's strong stuff - vivid, strong and painful

the writing is really raw and open and honest - i think it's ****ing great actually

i loved it and it's not at all the type of thing i like reading

the realisation that your (young) life is complete crap but that your stuck in with is so well conveyed in lines like: 'I stand there aching for a miracle' - not just hoping.....aching....perfect choice of vocabulary

i think you have an innate ability to express yourself in ways that those of us who have't been through such an experience can just 'get' - you have a way with words - that whole bit about the sun shining through the window etc.

but you just have to tighten up big time on practicalities like sticking to the one tense (you hop between past and present constantly in the piece and this makes it very disconcerting for the reader)

i for one would read more

thanks for posting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

There are details that jar. You're older than I am, and I certainly didn't ever use any version of "****" until I was a lot older than that. It just wasn't part of the culture then. The feeling might have been there, but I doubt you articulated in in that way. Modern eleven years might use ****, I doubt they did in in 1964.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Arthur Rimbaud

I would suggest the term misery lit is pejorative and irrelevant to whether or not this piece of writing is any good. Personally, I felt it was quite real, and I would like to read more.

My only suggestion is that this reads like a first draft. I don't think there is enough of a visual theme to your language. The story very much focuses on what is happening, like could be observed by anyone. But you are the writer, you are not just anyone.

So, here are two important words: effect, and impression.

Try to create aesthetic effects with your language, and let the reader form his own impression, as opposed to listing off what is happening, moment by moment, like a list of technical directions which the reader must tediously adhere to.

Consider the following sentence:
    The next moment, her mother hugged her vigorously

Next, look at how Henry James writes it, in his novel, What Maisie Knew:
    The next moment she was on her mother's breast, where, amid a wilderness of trinkets, she felt as if she had suddenly been thrust, with a smash of glass, into a jeweller's shop-front ...

The second sentence captures the raw effulgence of the moment. The writer manages to blaze this quick, vivid impression across our minds eye, which passes as quick as it came, having done its job.

So that is my suggestion: although you are telling a story, don't be so quick to get to an end point in your writing. You might miss out on a lot of drama in rushing to get there.

Having said that, if you treat this like a first draft, and flesh out all the detail later, then what you have written here is an excellent, realistic, gripping beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Arthur Rimbaud

Just one more thing, be careful about mixing tenses (in this case, past and present) within a particular scene.

Also, I know this is an autobiography, but have you considered writing it in the third person? I find that, even when writing about personal experiences, it can be much less constraining to write from outside my own self, and it creates the possibility of creating more complex, rounded characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Try to create aesthetic effects with your language, and let the reader form his own impression, as opposed to listing off what is happening, moment by moment, like a list of technical directions which the reader must tediously adhere to.

I'm not so sure - I'd worry that the vibrancy and the realism of the piece could be negatively impacted were this advice to be (too closely) adhered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

My G. Granny was alive she'd not make any donations to the nuns who came around collecting, because it would all be going to the families with drunkards in them, thus encouraging them to drink more!

Sad tale man, glad you got through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Hi, a question for the OP; do you intend on submitting your work to agents? If so, mammoth editing process aside, when it comes to autobiographies you need to put yourself in an agent's/publisher's shoes and ask - why should this life story be published? What makes it unique? Why would anybody want to read the autobiography of a member of the public? I know this may sound harsh but it pays to be brutally honest with yourself as agents etc will most definitely be brutally honest with you...if they respond at all! Having said all that, if it is simply for yourself and your family then write away!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Danpad wrote: »
    Hi, a question for the OP; do you intend on submitting your work to agents? If so, mammoth editing process aside, when it comes to autobiographies you need to put yourself in an agent's/publisher's shoes and ask - why should this life story be published? What makes it unique? Why would anybody want to read the autobiography of a member of the public? I know this may sound harsh but it pays to be brutally honest with yourself as agents etc will most definitely be brutally honest with you...if they respond at all! Having said all that, if it is simply for yourself and your family then write away!

I would read it. Simply because the OP is an ordinary member of the public. And I'd feel honored that we saw it here first :)
    I can identify with a lot of what she wrote.

• Advertisement

I am so sorry for the late reply, I have only managed to get back to post here now.

I'd like to thank you all for the flattering, encouraging words, I am absolutely over the moon that I have had such replies.

It has been well over 10 years writing this manuscript and I have had no one from the outside world read it so this was a bit of a scary step for me but I am so happy I made it.

I have a lot of work to do technically and a lot of edits to come I know, but I was at the end of my patience with it recently.

Its good to know that what I am trying to say is coming across, even though the style may be a bit rough and ready at the moment! This is a big relief.

I have a lot of work to do here with it, but I'm full steam ahead now.

I must thank you again for the praise and encouragement, my son told me about boards.ie and this forum but to see real feedback here is fantastic.

Lots to think about and mull over definitely.

I will put up a few more pages soon ,maybe from a different period on the work?

Thank you all:)

Danpad wrote: »

The beginning and middle are I suppose the really strong sections so far, where to wrap it up to make it flow/ end properly is the big outstanding question!

Thanks Dan , food for though!

Advertisement