Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€200 -€250 to spend on earphones- what do you buy ?

• 20-06-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭

Sorry folks its another boring recommend me thread :confused:

I am in the market for a decent set of ear phones. Have considered Beats but do realise Dre is just a marketing machine and the ear phones probably do not live up to the hype or the money being asked on these, although I will admit they look very well, That said ear phones are for listening not looking. Am I being unfair to beats are they worth the money ?

So you have my budget what do you go for. Will use them for exercising, some studio use but mainly to listen in and unwind !!

Thanks for your time !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Old post.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Multiple portables shootout.

Doing a search for "Sound (9 " gives:
    • Sennheiser HD-25-1 II
    • Beyerdynamic DT1530
    • Audio-Technica ATH-ES10
    • V-Moda Crossfade M-80 / V-80
    of which the Sennheiser & V-Moda are both cheaper than the (overpriced) Beats Studios.

You can then spend the extra dosh on a better MP3 player or something cool like a portable headphone amplifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

I'd split the money and get two different sets. A cheaper robust and/or comfortable model to use when you're exercising and something more expensive that sounds great.

For the first one I'd look at stuff by meelec and entry level shure models. Meelec are on the cheap side but are very good value and they have plenty of different eartips so you'd get a comfortable seal. I've a shure se110 for about 5 years that I use in bed and it still works fine, it doesn't sound as good as some of my others models but it's definitely the toughest.

For the more expensive one, it's hard to say as depending on your personal music choices the options will vary. If you listen to classical music a bass heavy model won't suit your needs very well. It's probably a little bit overwhelming due to it's size as the reviewer compares models that cost over $1000 to ones under $10, but I'd have a read of this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-244-iems-compared-yamaha-eph-100-monster-miles-davis-trumpet-06-19-12

There is a table at the end which ranks the various models so it's more digestible, so use that as a starting point and ctrl+f to pick out ones that take your fancy and are within your price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Thanks for all the info guys lots to consider. I listen to all types of music but classical wouldn't be up there. I have recently purchased an electric piano as I am looking to take it up so would like these to be an option also. This would not be a huge consideration as I have a set of Vic Firths already which are perfect for this.

I find the in ear earphones designed for exercise never stay in my ear and I spend half the time fixing them back in, very annoying. the loop around in ear are just as bad and leak lots of sound so it has to be the on ear style for me.

I know its difficult to get a great all rounder and the portable ones are more suited for exercise although not ideal. I am not one for buying cheap to be honest I take pride in my gear but I am always in favour of quality. Think I just rather get quality first time round and spend the money, hence my question on the Beats, love the style of them but am very aware the sound might not match up and this would bug me.

Trying to give you a better idea of what it is I am looking for. I am aware that probably anything I buy will be too good for exercising and sweating in but really do not want to sacrifice quality, within reason.

Thanks again for all your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement