Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heritability

Options
  • 31-10-2014 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi

Exploring the concept that leadership is genetically governed more so than phenotype influenced and running into the concept of heritability which, and pleased correct me if I'm wrong, asks how much genetics plays a role in the differences of makeup , both genotype & phenotype traits.

I'm encountering the phenomena of additive and non-additive heritability and I'm slowing drifting into the abyss trying to understand exactly what these mean.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭AdFundum

If you take a trait like height, some people are tall, some people are tiny, i.e, height varies in a population. Genotype also varies in a population. People will have different alleles (or different combinations of alleles) to each other. Heritability attempts to measure how much of the variation in a trait is due to variation in genotype.

You don't really have additive and non-additive heritability but you do have additive and non-additive genetic effects.

Additive genetic effects can be though of as follows: given a phenotype and X number of alleles with an effect on that phenotype, additive simply means that the combined effect of each allele on a phenotype is equal to the sum of the individual effects.

Non-additive genetic effects are dominance and epistasis which do not function like this.

There are two kind of heritability, broad sense (H^2) and narrow sense (h^2).

Broad sense heritability (H^2) is difficult to estimate in natural populations like humans but can be done in experimental populations of model organisms. Broad-sense heritability measures the proportion of the variance (v) in a phenotype (P) that is attributable to all genotypic effects (vG) - where all genotypes includes additive, dominant and epistatic genotypes.

H^2 ~ vG/vP

Narrow sense heritability (h^2) can be estimated from twin studies and is concerned only with the proportion of phenotypic variance that is due to additive genotypic effects (Ga).

h^2 ~ vGa/vP

So, when you hear studies talking about the heritability of disease risk or height or leadership or anything, this is what they are referring to.

Hope that helps.

Note, when you say phenotype influenced, what do you mean?

Advertisement