Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Of The Week

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

M.M.

A pint glass

2 shots vodka
    1 shot bacardi
    1/2 can of redbull

Fill remainder of pint glass with Wicked Blue and Lucozade original, 50/50. Mmm!

Alternatively, try the Summer M.M.:

Sub Lucozade with Lucozade Citrus Clear, sub Bacardi with Peach Schnapps. Add a cocktail hat, put on the thong song, and guzzle!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Out of morbid curiosity, I want to see if anyone seconds Civilian Target's nomination before posting something else palatable.

lol! Probably a more sober version of the morbid curiosity that led to Foamy's creation :p

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

Foamy

OK, so we created this concoction on Friday night, and called it "Foamy" (after the squirrell, because it's grey), and I figured, well, no-one else has come up with any great DOTW's recently :D

Ingredients
    A pint glass
    1 shot baileys
    1 shot vodka
    1 bottle WKD Blue
    ½ bottle Fanta orange

What's it like? Well, the first rule is, it's not a drink to be nursing, because after 5 mins or so it starts to curdle. But it does taste almost exactly like Double Dip (remember when you were a kid), except that it's fairly alcoholic Double Dip. But despite the bizarre ingredient list, well, no, I don't know how drinkable it is really to be honest, because I've never tried it while sober, but it is an experience.

FOAMY FOR DRINK OF THE WEEK!

SECONDED!
    Everyone has to try this :D
    The curdling is the best bit. Drink it with a straw and when its finished you get a creamy orange baileys head left in the bottom of the glass. Tastes exactly like sherbert <----spelling?

Oh, and ice aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

28th November 2005

Our first home-made creation for DOTW is The Foamy, as nominated by Civilian_Target.
    Foamy

OK, so we created this concoction on Friday night, and called it "Foamy" (after the squirrell, because it's grey), and I figured, well, no-one else has come up with any great DOTW's recently

Ingredients
    A pint glass
    1 shot baileys
    1 shot vodka
    1 bottle WKD Blue
    ½ bottle Fanta orange

What's it like? Well, the first rule is, it's not a drink to be nursing, because after 5 mins or so it starts to curdle. But it does taste almost exactly like Double Dip (remember when you were a kid), except that it's fairly alcoholic Double Dip. But despite the bizarre ingredient list, well, no, I don't know how drinkable it is really to be honest, because I've never tried it while sober, but it is an experience.

FOAMY FOR DRINK OF THE WEEK!

Good call dman.

Now, to see if we can get discounts on jugs of Foamy at the next boards beers :D

• Advertisement

So - has anyone actually felt inspired to try a Foamy yet?

Between ten past nine last night and half past one today? ...who knows, you might be lucky... So tell us. Why "foamy" for a name? Or will this become obvious to me if I make one?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why "foamy" for a name? Or will this become obvious to me if I make one?
    Foaming at the mouth like a rabid dog:confused:

My drink o the week.

Treble Cointreau
    Juice of 1/2 a lime
    Crushed ice to the same level as what the drink ends up. (the cointreau should be freezing and use a cold lime so the ice does not melt straight away, or squeeze and chill the juice, I find I get more juice from warmed fruit)

5th December 2005

TIZ the season to be jolly, la la la la la, la la, laaa laaaaaaa....

Festive tipples for the next few weeks I'd say, which will then be followed by slimline options in January.

Eggnog is a drink more associated with American festivities than those in Western Europe, but if you've ever wondered about it, here's your chance to try it. This drink DOES include raw eggs, (though you can find recipes that have cooked egg in them for the pregnant or fragile-of-constitution among you). Because you're using raw eggs, I'd recommend buying free-range, organic eggs as opposed to the produce of battery chickens, and stick to medium eggs for this recipe - no need to get half a dozen extra large ones.

Eggnog was first recorded in the 1600s, and the name appears to come from the old English term for a wooden ale tankard, a noggin. The basic recipe is eggs beaten with milk, sugar and alcohol of some variety (there are no 'classic' egg nog recipes saying that - EVERYONE makes it differently!)

The most commonly used spirit is brandy, followed by rum - I prefer darker rum, and in this recipe, I find Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum (a former DOTW) is perfect. Eggnog is normally a party punch drink, so the amounts are designed to serve a lot of people - imagine one egg or less per person for a single serving and you're getting there!

Now - and this is the important part; beacause you're dealing with liquids, I find the best way to do this is measure everything including the sugar in a mixing jug!

Serves a party of six to eight people, none of whom are pregnant or driving.

Ingredients

6 medium eggs
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    Fine caster sugar in a jug up to the 1/2 pint mark
    1/2 pint Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum
    1/3 pint Brandy (don't use your best XO for this, but don't use crap - you could also substitute this with some dark rum if you don't like brandy. Or whatever the hell else you want - bourbon works too!)
    1 tsp vanilla essence (buy the good stuff again)
    3/4 cream (double cream if you want to be a total lush)
    3/4 pint milk
    Grated Nutmeg

Method

You'll need a whisk and a large punch bowl. Everything needs to be cold for this - an hour measured out into a bowl and left in the fridge won't hurt the alcohol one bit.

First, separate the egg yolks and egg whites.

Put the egg yolks in a bowl and add half the sugar and the salt. Beat until thick and frothy. Then, still beating, slowly add the alcohol, the vanilla, the milk and the cream. You should end up with a thick, light, frothy liquid. Taste it, add more sugar/alcohol to taste if required. Now put this bowl in the fridge.

In a separate bowl, whisk your egg whites and the other half of the sugar until the egg whites are frothy and standing up in peaks.

Just before serving, fold your whisked egg whites into the alcoholic mixture from the fridge. Then pour into your punch bowl, sprinkle with grated nutmeg and serve. (Sit the punch bowl in some ice to help keep things cold).

(Last thing - I suspect that putting the whole lot in a blender with some ice would also make a damn good egg nog, instead of whisking and beating things in a dozen bowls, but I've not had the nerve to try it yet considering the amount of ingredients it uses...)

You complain about Foamy possibly not tasting very nice and then inflict eggnoc on us?!

• Advertisement

12th December 2005

DECK the halls with boughs of holly, fa la la la la...

Seasonal drinkie-poo number two is Mulled Wine. For some this has more autumnal associations, harking back to Hallowe'en and Guy Fawkes, but it's damn good on a cold day. Again lots and lots of recipe variations, and you can really try anything you fancy with this. The only tip I have is not to boil the whole mixture for ages; I find it good to simmer the wine, water and spices for 15 mins, add a cup of brandy or cognac and then simmer for further five minutes only. Keeps it alcoholic, and there's nothing like a beer coat for keeping you warm in the cold.

1 bottle of fruity red wine (Spanish wine is a good choice)
    3/4 pint water
    Sugar, measured up to the 1/4 pint level on the same jug you measured your water in (add more to taste later on)
    2 cinnamon sticks
    3 whole cloves
    1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
    1/2 vanilla pod
    1 star anise
    1 sliced orange
    1 sliced lemon
    1 cup cognac or brandy

It helps to strain this before serving - and don't serve it in glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭nialldinho

So, did anyone actually try the eggnog?

What's it like?

Did anyone read Kevin Myers Irishman's diary about Mulled wine on Friday before last. Absolutely hilarious, sums up my sentiments exactly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I had an eggnog Latte in Starbucks. (Yes I know). Quite nice, but I don't think it's real eggnog.
    I also had a mulled wine the other day. Very nice.

19th December 2005

It's Christmas week.

It's time to drink something ridiculous.

The following is from the artist formerly known as Kaids.
    M.M.

A pint glass

2 shots vodka
    1 shot bacardi
    1/2 can of redbull

Fill remainder of pint glass with Wicked Blue and Lucozade original, 50/50. Mmm!

Alternatively, try the Summer M.M.:

Sub Lucozade with Lucozade Citrus Clear, sub Bacardi with Peach Schnapps. Add a cocktail hat, put on the thong song, and guzzle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

19th December 2005

It's Christmas week.

It's time to drink something ridiculous.

The following is from the artist formerly known as Kaids.

Barbaric, how anyone can drink WKD blue is beyond me (I hate those wicked blue ads, look face it I don't care how laddish those Ads make you look, you're still drinking something for teenage girls.)

May I recommend a far more civilised Warm spiced rum?
    1 1/4 oz spiced rum
    6 oz hot apple cider

Rim an old-fashioned glass with sugar and cinnamon. Add hot cider and rum, and serve.
    Hot Buttered Rum
    1 ½ oz. Spiced Rum
    4 oz. hot water
    1 tsp. brown sugar
    1 tsp. butter
    1 tsp. vanilla ice cream
    ¼ tsp. allspice
    Dissolve sugar, butter, ice cream and allspice in hot water.
    Add Spiced Rum and stir with a cinnamon stick

26th December 2005

Casting about for something post-Christmassy, and discovered this among the frolicers on the Jagermeister thread, courtesy of Celticfire:
    Classic Oatmeal Cookie recipe

1/4 oz Goldschlager cinnamon schnapps
    1/4 oz butterscotch schnapps
    1/4 oz Bailey's
    1/4 oz Jagermeister

Shake all ingredients in a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice cubes. Strain into a shot glass, and serve.

Had this before and it's yum yum...

1st January 2006

Start the year as you mean to go on, with a true classic, the vodka martini.

This is what James Bond drinks, shaken, not stirred. (This being his tipple of choice made it one of the most popular drinks of the 1960's).

You need good vodka, good dry vermouth, ice, an olive, and a chilled cocktail glass.

The mix is about 1.5 shots of vodka to a dash of vermouth. Shaking these over ice adds a little of the ice meltwater to the drink, taming the burn somewhat. (Use boiled water, still hot, to make the ice in the first place - makes nice clear ice cubes).

I quite fancy garnishing with a cocktail onion if there are no olives, but you can garnish with all sorts of weird and wonderful things like pickled chili peppers etc.

8th January 2006

Jägermeister.

...this week's DOTW because it's January detox time, and officially, this is a herbal liqueur. *cough*

This direct from [url]www.jager.com:[/url]
    First of all...what's with that label? Way back in the seventh century, a young lad named Hubertus was envied for his purity (remember, this is only a legend). Theoderich of Burgundy was one of these jealous sorts, and so waged war against Hubertus and his uncle, Pipin (when was the last time you spoke to your Uncle Pipin?). By defeating Theoderich, Hubertus proved himself valiant in battle and dashing in a codpiece, and so won the hand of the beautiful princess, Floribana. Together they lived happily with the benefits of wealth, good fortune, and clear skin.

Alas, alas, the good Princess soon fell ill and died. Sigh.

In his grief, Hubertus turned away from the sumptuous life of royalty and became a solitary figure, often going to the woods to hunt alone. During one of these hunting trips, Hubertus encountered a splendid stag with a cross that appeared to float between its antlers (and no, Hubertus had not been drinking at the time). The vision moved Hubertus to change his life. He gave all his material possessions to the poor, gave up his title, and founded several monasteries. After his death, Hubertus was made a saint and became the Patron Saint of Hunters.

What is it about Jägermeister that makes it so, er, irresistible? Is it the taste? The ice-cold chill? The effect? Your answer is as good as ours.

Put the bottle in the freezer, then drink shots of it for an... interesting(?) drinking experience.

15th January 2006

It's January, you're flat broke, your new year's detox resolution is crumbling and you're dying for a beer. What's the moral of this story? Next year, plan ahead and start concocting potions before Christmas. :D

Go here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054869329 to experience the B/W/S board's own guide to alcoholic alchemy.

• Advertisement

23rd January 2006

Leffe... you love it or you hate it? Try it and tell all...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054878173

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pdrc101

Lake most beers from belgium its an aquired taste. Try some hearty weissbeers like Paulaner. Its full of the stuff men are made of!!!!!!!

...slugs and snails and puppy dogs' tails?

29th January 2006

The new year's resolutions have just about fallen apart, you've stretched your last penny four times over waiting for January payday, and it's two days till Spring time (in the Irish calendar anyway).

Celebrate with a pint of plain. The arguments on pouring it properly can get a roomfull of shy people on their feet roaring within fifteen minutes. Marvellous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

How about a Tequila Sunrise. Very nice and makes you feel like you're on some tropical beach.

You take a shot of tequila, add some Orange Juice, and pour in some grenadine syrup. The grenadine should sink to the bottom and create a cool gradient look.

Grenadine sryup's quite hard to find, but you can get it in the bigger off licences, and a bottle lasts for ages.

ooo! I'll second that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Another one for Tequila sunrise here, if only to save boards from a foamy......it just sounds so uggggh

All these young drinkers seem to have a compulsion to make up drinks that taste like childhood sweets.....just buy the sweets if you must....leave the drinking to us adults ;)

Sounds disgusting - looks horrible, tastes really good. I do have an excellent pic of a Foamy on my phone I'll have to put up, when I get it sent to my PC...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭liamk

if your trying to make a blue mr. freeze alcoholic replica drink all you need is
    a glass with:
    1/4 vermonth
    3/8 pepsi
    3/8 tesco carbonated lemon drink

tastes so sweet(sugary) mind you it does have a very low alcohol content bout 3-4% so its pure sugary goodness you'd be drinking this for...

on the nominations for drink of the week i suggest white russian:
    - 1 1/2 measure Vodka
    - 3/4 measure Kahlua
    - 1/4 measure Light Cream
    - 1/2 measure Milk

Directions: Mix the vodka and kahlua together then stir in the milk and finally then float the cream on top. Add ice if desired(slightly crushed is better for the general consistancy of the the overall experience). oh and put the ice in with the milk...
    those long straws with a spoon shaped end you get on the continant are perfect for the occasion if you can get them not sure where you would though.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Nomination

I'd like to nominate Champagne for drink of the week, if not for this week then next week will do. :)

I just love the way really good Champagne tastes, kind of biscuity with the gentle fizz of the bubbles on your tongue. It's just luscious. Best of all my local Off Licence has a proper Champagne (from the region in France) for only 19.99 and it is top quality stuff but because it's not a known brand, they can't charge too much for it.

Advertisement