Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Beer Market Pub, Christ Church

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

limnam wrote: »
    Middle class profesional foodies are not on the 37 ;)

That's your prejudicial view. Unless of course you know everone that uses that bus route?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

It was busy enough on Saturday night anyway when I was there, as mentioned its not a place you'd want to drink in if you couldn't move or have a place to sit or stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mulligans food isn't that great. A bit expensive and to many burgers last time I was there.

Although that was the Christmas menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RasTa wrote: »
    Mulligans food isn't that great. A bit expensive and to many burgers last time I was there.

You take that back!

I remember being disappointed with the potted crab. Main was pork belly. It was all so so

I haven't being in awhile but Vintage Kitchen do some great food on a similar if not higher level than Mulligans.

You can bring your own beer too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Ranchu wrote: »
    are you claiming that beer drinkers are 50/50 male to female ratio? Good one.
    Are you claiming that all women drink wine exclusively?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Main was pork belly. It was all so so

I too think the food in Mulligans is overrated.

The pork belly wasn´t anything special for me there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Ranchu wrote: »
    are you claiming that beer drinkers are 50/50 male to female ratio? Good one.

Al Murray probably would ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

dregin wrote: »
    Are you claiming that all women drink wine exclusively?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

I thought the boar burger and the veal burger before it were both pretty Meh. Over priced and very average. People go on about the Scotch egg too which I was underwhelmed with. It's decent pub food charged at the same rate as some of the best bistros in the city but nowhere near their level on taste.
    I like mulligans but the food has always disappointed me there for the price they charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

symbolic wrote: »

Was only a matter of time tbh. Any time I'm in there somebody asks the barstaff for spirits, wine, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

With those prices in that location, If they're still there in 2 years I'll take my hat off to them. I live very near by and have watched quite a few places fail there. I've been once and never returned, poor atmosphere, awkward forced "banter" from the staff and somewhat over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I've rarely seen any of the previous pubs be as busy as the beer market tbh. I like the atmosphere - it's not very pubby but very comfy & great for having a chat.

And given that a lot if the beers are unusual & delicious, I'm very happy to pay a bit extra .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

With those prices in that location, If they're still there in 2 years I'll take my hat off to them. I live very near by and have watched quite a few places fail there. I've been once and never returned, poor atmosphere, awkward forced "banter" from the staff and somewhat over priced.

I saw something completely different on a recent visit.
    Packed to the rafters on a Saturday afternoon.
    Went back late that night, still packed.
    Bar men who knew almost everyone's name and almost everything about what they were about to serve.
    Fantastic friendly, lively atmosphere.
    A selection where half the time I didn't know what to order in case I missed something.
    Noise levels were you can actually have a conversation with the person next to you.

It has every chance unless they do something to shoot themselves in the foot.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Was there a few weeks ago, really wasn't impressed. it was 10pm on a Saturday night, it was quite and I really wanted to punch the hipster barman.

I wont be going out of my way to go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

John Mason wrote: »
    Was there a few weeks ago, really wasn't impressed. it was 10pm on a Saturday night,it was quite and I really wanted to punch the hipster barman.

I wont be going out of my way to go back
    I long for the days of yore, for the alluring call of a quiet imbibing emporium with quality fare on tap, of a Saturday evening :D;)

Hipster barman must have seriously irked you to want to pugilistically chastise him, so to speak :pac::pac::pac:

Do tell...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

It was jammed on Saturday evening/night, great bar and beers, would love to see more of them around the place (ie beside my gaff)

Kitchen going in next, food all day

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Kitchen going in next, food all day

:( Just going to be another GBB bar. Sad to see its uniqueness going but better than going out of business I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I think the plan was always to have a kitchen. This is probably a sign that it is making money.

The lack of food was a big part of its appeal for me tbh. Will probably attract a different crowd. Are the Pies being shown the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Passenger wrote: »
    The lack of food was a big part of its appeal for me tbh. Will probably attract a different crowd. Are the Pies being shown the door?

why does the option of having a bit of food change it's appeal?
    It's not going to be compulsory to eat

Really? I just assumed they'd pin me down and shovel food into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It'll attract a different crowd. You know, a crowd that want to eat. That kind of crowd...

(Yeah I dunno what the problem is either)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

It'll attract a different crowd. You know, a crowd that want to eat. That kind of crowd...

(Yeah I dunno what the problem is either)

Suppose it could get busy with a different crowd, meaning the crazy beers might not do too well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Hello,

I'll be driving this weekend unfortunately but I'm meeting friends here. Any non-alcoholic options?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'd say they'll have an option in bottles in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

They had Brewdog Nanny State last time I was there, 0.5%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thread title updated as this place has been open a while now. :)

tHB

Advertisement