Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Just to let people know that the 3T in Blackrock is having a "craft beer" festival from Mon 18-May to Sun 24-May.

17 beers on the poster, all bottles or cans, typically 330/355ml.

Irish brewers: 8 Degrees, O'Hara's, and from the USA: 3 Rogue beers, Goose Island IPA, Lagunitas IPA.

Two of the Irish bottles are 50cl.

All priced at 1.95.

https://www.facebook.com/TheThreeTunTavern?fref=photo

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Slim1996

Got a reply to my job application been invited to a 4 hour assesment next wednesday. Was told I'll be doing an individual interview aswell as group work, any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

any advice you get here about being a barman will be useless to you for a JDW job, the staff seem to be told to do the opposite of being a good barman

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Now their website lists "The Great Wood" in Blanch opening soon. From their map it looks to be bang in the middle of the shopping centre. Anyone know more?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Chelon wrote: »
    Now their website lists "The Great Wood" in Blanch opening soon. From their map it looks to be bang in the middle of the shopping centre. Anyone know more?

The Great Scaldwood is its proper title. Part of the forest would have been in the area of where the blanchardstown center now resides. Old irish forest that was maintained by the local lords till Cromwell came. One of the last wolf's in Ireland was killed there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Heard from a good authority - if there really is such a thing - that they have secured a premises on Tullow Street in Carlow Town.

Should be interesting as this used to be the main shopping street in the town but is slowly turning into a bar and restaurant street.

It might draw more and benefit all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Spoon's would be a big hit with the Student crowd in Carlow, putting it on the same street as The Foundry is a good move too.
    They do a serious trade in Blackrock with UCD students.

Spoon's would be a big hit with the Student crowd in Carlow, putting it on the same street as The Foundry is a good move too.

Yep, across the street from Tully's too.

I nice pint of cask wouldn't go astray in the town too. A hard sell to the locals maybe?! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

They do a serious trade in Blackrock with UCD students.

Spoons would be a hit in any town with their prices. Draught Czech import for 2.95. Special offers for 1.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

lk67 wrote: »
    Heard from a good authority - if there really is such a thing - that they have secured a premises on Tullow Street in Carlow Town.

Should be interesting as this used to be the main shopping street in the town but is slowly turning into a bar and restaurant street.

I've heard this about 2 other locations in Carlow before that turned out to be nothing.

A mate of mine swears he has seen the plans etc but he's a bit of a spoofer.

I've checked out the jdw website and it says nothing about acquiring a place in Carlow.

I'd be happy if it did tbh cos Carlow could do with a new business, as there's a ****load of empty premises lying vacant.

• Advertisement

I've heard this about 2 other locations in Carlow before that turned out to be nothing.

A mate of mine swears he has seen the plans etc but he's a bit of a spoofer.

I've checked out the jdw website and it says nothing about acquiring a place in Carlow.

I'd be happy if it did tbh cos Carlow could do with a new business, as there's a ****load of empty premises lying vacant.

Had heard of two other places too but Wetherspoons confirmed a month ago the were in the town looking. The were contacted by KCLR.

I was also told by someone who works close by that they were in measuring it for refit.

But to be fair I won't be 100% convinced until the sign goes up or the start hiring.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A hard sell to the locals maybe?! :)
    It's a hard sell to the locals in Northern Ireland and Scotland too, but they still manage it.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's a hard sell to the locals in Northern Ireland and Scotland too, but they still manage it.

Indeed, but it will still be a new (old) concept for them to get their heads around. No doubt the price will be a deciding factor for many.

(I'm a blow-in here so I'm different of course...)

The worry will be the turnover of the cask, as I'd hate someone's first taste to be their last one.

Based on what's happened in the Dublin branches, my main worry would be their ability and willingness to put on cask beer worth drinking on any sort of a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Slim1996 wrote: »
    Got a reply to my job application been invited to a 4 hour assesment next wednesday. Was told I'll be doing an individual interview aswell as group work, any advice?

1. Don't admit to having any experience in the bar trade, if you do you'll be rejected.

2. When entering an order into the retail system, act like all the menus are in Mandarin Chinese.

3. If asked to do something practical like filling a coffee, take ages doing it and as soon as you plonk it on the counter, run away before the customer thinks of asking for milk and sugar.

4. While you're supposed to be clearing tables, sit your lazy arse down in a customer area and play loud videos on your mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

I'm in one in Scotland a fair bit, bang in the middle of lager-land. Hardly ever see anyone else drinking it but they always manage to have 4 or 5 lovely ales on cask.

Isn't it part of Tim Martin's ethos to always have it available in his pubs?

Official now, in the local paper today with quotes from Wetherspoons. Open in 9 months to a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Spoons aren't too popular in Glasgow but they do they open and do business. The cool kids like their hip bars and hip music and the older generation prefer their local. Not as much of a difference in price as there would be with Wetherspoons Ireland in however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ageyev wrote: »
    Spoons aren't too popular in Glasgow but they do they open and do business. The cool kids like their hip bars and hip music and the older generation prefer their local. Not as much of a difference in price as there would be with Wetherspoons Ireland in however.

I was in a spoons in Glasgow in December and the place was packed.

Opening dates confirmed:

23rd June - The Great Wood, Blanchardstown

21st July - The Old Boro, Swords

1st Sept - The Linen Weaver, Cork

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/jd-wetherspoon-to-open-three-new-bars-in-ireland-1.2219295

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

Geuze wrote: »
    Opening dates confirmed:

23rd June - The Great Wood, Blanchardstown

21st July - The Old Boro, Swords

1st Sept - The Linen Weaver, Cork

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/jd-wetherspoon-to-open-three-new-bars-in-ireland-1.2219295

There's also now been confirmation of a second Dublin city center location.

"In Dublin, new bars are planned for the Camden Hall Hostel on Camden Street and on Abbey Street Lower."

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/food-drink-news/wetherspoons-opening-three-more-pubs-5728738

Great news!

So to summarise:

2014 = 2 open (Blackrock, SCD, and Dun-Laoighaire)
    2015 = 3 to open (Blanch, Swords, Cork city)

plus confirmed site purchases:

Waterford
    Douglas in Cork suburbs (added)
    Camden St in Dublin
    Carlow (confirmed this week)
    Abbey street, Dublin.

That makes 9 +1 = 10.

Am I missing any?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Theres the location in Douglas, Cork that has a planning application in for the last few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Geuze wrote: »
    So to summarise:

2014 = 2 open (Blackrock, SCD, and Dun-Laoighaire)
    2015 = 3 to open (Blanch, Swords, Cork city)

plus confirmed site purchases:

Waterford
    Camden St in Dublin
    Carlow (confirmed this week)
    Irsh Life mall, Abbey street, Dublin.

That makes 9.

Am I missing any?

It's not the Irish life mall, it's the original Trustee Savings Bank building across the road from the theatre. Big grey building with tall pillers and wrought iron railings.
    Lovely building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

It's not the Irish life mall, it's the original Trustee Savings Bank building across the road from the theatre. Big grey building with tall pillers and wrought iron railings.
    Lovely building.

Here is a pick of the building, for the Jar.ie report

IMG_20150514_184022_d5c8wt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Delighted with the idea of opening one in the City Centre, at least it won't be a case of planes, trains and automobiles to go visit one.

It was probably a smart move not to go with a City Centre one first as it could have brought a lot of negative attention.

it's the original Trustee Savings Bank building across the road from the theatre.
    Right next door to the National Lottery office, for celebrating your big win, like. I can't see The Flowing Tide surviving too long with that down the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I can't see The Flowing Tide surviving too long with that down the street.
    It will be interesting to see. Half price chipper day is next week. I went past my local chipper one year and it had queues down the road, so went to the Chinese takeaway across the road -which was packed. People were discussing the menus who obviously did not usually eat Chinese but similar to me had ditched the chipper and had their mind set on a takeaway.

I think similar will happen to the bleeding horse and pubs on abbey street. Not that wetherspoons will always be packed, but sometimes it might, but people often will go to another pub nearby the one they are in. I would rarely head out and just stick to 1 pub.

Abbey street is quite dull looking, but is on the luas line and this might bring a lot more punters to the area.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

That's good a spot alright, handy for heading between Busaras and the main part of the city centre. It's always been a bit lifeless down there too so hopefully it'll improve that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Wonder if Brewdock will suffer

Advertisement