Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you live in a nation built purposely for the lgbt community?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭gravehold

What does his race have to do it with it?

There are other minorities that have to navigate through life carefully too, do you think this somehow negates other people's experiences? This is why people work to try and eliminate racism, homophobia etc. Straight people don't have to worry about being open about their sexuality, LGB people do. This is the comparison I was making. If I occasionally go into a gay space, I feel more at ease with myself to not have to worry about 'outing' myself or saying something to put me in a compromising situation.

I can see the OP extrapolating that to an entire society. Would it work, probably not, but I can understand the desire.

Just trying to show the most "privileged" . Ever see the hate a straight couple get in a lgbt bar for kissing and showing their sexuality it's not nice to see or be subjected too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

gravehold wrote: »
    Just trying to show the most "privileged" . Ever see the hate a straight couple get in a lgbt bar for kissing and showing their sexuality it's not nice to see or be subjected too.

I've never experienced a straight couple getting hate for kissing in a lgbt bar (my straight friends come along all the time, some in couples), but I won't undermine your experience. However you must see the vast difference between facing that in a particular type of bar verses society as a whole?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I regularly go to gay bars and see straight couples kissing all the time. Nothing happens to them, nobody even seems to take notice. What abuse did they get exactly? Did people spit on them, throw a few glass bottles?

I've never experienced a straight couple getting hate for kissing in a lgbt bar (my straight friends come along all the time, some in couples), but I won't undermine your experience. However you must see the vast difference between facing that in a particular type of bar verses society as a whole?

I am trans I get plenty of hate in society but I realise everyone gets hate in someway, trying to created safe spaces and walling yourself off from the greater society is a very foolish thing.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I regularly go to gay bars and see straight couples kissing all the time. Nothing happens to them, nobody even seems to take notice. What abuse did they get exactly? Did people spit on them, throw a few glass bottles?

Dirty looks, told **** off to a straight bar, bouncers not allowing entry even seen "accidentally" bumping into kissing couples and the likes. Same that might happen in a local straight bar to a gay couple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You honestly imagine that straight people have an easier time expressing their affection for each other in public than people who aren't? I would suggest that you stop viewing these things like they're a competition. I know Rory O' Neill / Panto Bliss gave it welly about having to 'check' herself, but y'know what, it's something people do every day. It's simply called being self-conscious.

That isn't 'straight' people's fault that people who are LGBT are self-conscious of their sexuality, and your perspective completely ignores much of a whole vast, vast spectrum of sexuality that people keep hidden from the general public.

I am trans I get plenty of hate in society but I realise everyone gets hate in someway, trying to created safe spaces and walling yourself off from the greater society is a very foolish thing.

Maybe you don't appreciate the benefits of LGBT spaces but they saved my life. If I hadn't found spaces that I could learn to love myself in without fear, I would have spent my whole life hating myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You honestly imagine that straight people have an easier time expressing their affection for each other in public than people who aren't? I would suggest that you stop viewing these things like they're a competition. I know Rory O' Neill / Panto Bliss gave it welly about having to 'check' herself, but y'know what, it's something people do every day. It's simply called being self-conscious.

That isn't 'straight' people's fault that people who are LGBT are self-conscious of their sexuality, and your perspective completely ignores much of a whole vast, vast spectrum of sexuality that people keep hidden from the general public.

Thats where you're wrong.Straight people are exactly why many gay people aren't comfortable with their sexuality.You think non straight humans are the only humans who happen to be uncomfortable with their sexuality, through no fault of straight people? They may not be consciously oppressing gay people at present in the west but a history of centuries of persecution takes a while to fade.

You honestly imagine that straight people have an easier time expressing their affection for each other in public than people who aren't? I would suggest that you stop viewing these things like they're a competition.

Excuse me. I don't view it as a competition. I would LOVE not to have to care. Yes, straight people don't have to worry about holding their partner's hand if they want to. If they're self-conscious, it's not because they're straight, it's because they don't like PDA. Gay people also might not like PDA, but those that do have to be be cautious about it.

You're the one ignoring gay people's experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

J_E wrote: »
    A village yeah, but not an isolated place!

That wouldn't work, there would be only 1 gay.

• Advertisement

Maybe you don't appreciate the benefits of LGBT spaces but they saved my life. If I hadn't found spaces that I could learn to love myself in without fear, I would have spent my whole life hating myself.

As a trans person I had learn to be myself in public there was no safe spaces as I transitioned I couldn't hide I was trans, the world isn't all safe spaces you need to learn to be a part of society not separate. Sure some people might disagree with how you live but everyone even from the most "privileged" get that in some way and even then there is a difference of wanting to create a country with no straight people once you go to that thinking you are straight up major hetrophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,790 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

As a trans person I had learn to be myself in public there was no safe spaces as I transitioned I couldn't hide I was trans, the world isn't all safe spaces you need to learn to be a part of society not separate. Sure some people might disagree with how you live but everyone even from the most "privileged" get that in some way and even then there is a difference of wanting to create a country with no straight people once you go to that thinking you are straight up major hetrophobic.

At this stage you are just insulting the OP. Don't post in this thread again.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

As a trans person I had learn to be myself in public there was no safe spaces as I transitioned I couldn't hide I was trans, the world isn't all safe spaces you need to learn to be a part of society not separate.

I'm sorry there weren't any safe spaces for you, but I'm telling you that for me, they were imperative to me learning how to be part of society. I'm not invalidating your experience and journey, why would you invalidate mine?
    Sure some people might disagree with how you live but everyone even from the most "privileged" get that in some way and even then there is a difference of wanting to create a country with no straight people once you go to that thinking you are straight up major hetrophobic.

I don't want to create a country with no straight people. All I've said is I can understand the desire to want to live in a place where you don't have that fear on your back.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see mod post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Hell no

• Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Thats where you're wrong.Straight people are exactly why many gay people aren't comfortable with their sexuality.You think non straight humans are the only humans who happen to be uncomfortable with their sexuality, through no fault of straight people? They may not be consciously oppressing gay people at present in the west but a history of centuries of persecution takes a while to fade.

No disrespect meant, but unless you're actually a couple of centuries old, you're simply appropriating historical persecution to justify your insecurity with regard to other people.

You say "straight people are exactly why..." like being straight is any more something they had a choice in than being gay is something you had a choice in. People, regardless of how you choose to label or identify them, can be prejudiced against other people or their behaviour for an infinite number of reasons.

You're doing it right now yourself in suggesting that because people who are straight exist, they're somehow preventing you from expressing affection for another man in public.

People who are straight can be just as negatively judgemental of other straight people's behaviour in exactly, exactly and no different to the way in which if you get out a bit more, you'll realise that people who are gay can be just as negatively judgmental of other people who are gay expressing affection for each other in public.

Some people simply find PDA's cringeworthy regardless of a person's gender, sex or sexual orientation. Some people are indifferent to it, and some people actively avoid PDA in public because they're afraid of what other people are thinking of them.

Do you honestly think if your imaginary country existed, that people would be naturally tolerant, understanding and accepting of each other simply because they share only one trait in common?

Far more likely given a couple of generations you'd end up with the same history as many other countries throughout history as people fought for political and socioeconomic superiority. Be no amount of kissing and making up would ever prevent human nature from coming to the surface over time if there weren't social constraints in place to prevent people from exhibiting prejudice towards others. We're working towards that point in society right now, and you want to start fresh in a new country with a blank slate and think you could do any better than millenia of human social evolution?

It's an ideal in theory, but given too much thought you could easily tend to forget that people are more than just one single aspect of themselves that causes you to feel insecure about yourself. There's plenty, plenty I as a cisgender, heterosexual white male feel insecure about, but instead of feeling guilty about what makes me part of a majority in many ways, I sometimes allow my insecurities to control my behaviour and even my attitude towards other people. I really wish I could just turn off the insecurities within me that fuel my prejudices towards other people, but I can't, I can only learn to challenge those prejudices within myself to overcome my insecurities.

I sure as hell don't have any right to go around blaming other people for something they have no control over. That's exactly what you're doing when you complain that other people make you feel insecure about yourself, and if only you weren't faced with dealing with them, your life would be so much easier. That's the dream for everyone who's ever had to deal with an asshole, and really, there's no shortage of those, throughout history, wherever you go - you're always going to meet people who don't like you, and people you don't like, for an infinite number of reasons. The onus is upon you to learn how to deal with them, rather than expect that they're going to change any time soon to suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Maybe that's the impression you have of straight people but it's a biased and unfair one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

What would the flag of the country be?

Silly me, the rainbow flag of course. :D

No, I don't think a country like this working out, it would be attacked by countries that you mention as being the suppliers of the oppressed founders.

It would lead to WWIII. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

No, no I wouldn't live there. I mean it would of course be unsustainable due to the crazy low birth rates but even if it was a gay tír na nÓg I wouldn't go next or near to it.

Presumably, it would be the most affected, vapid and philistinic nation on earth. It would just be a mass of foreigners with no claim to the nation other than their sexuality, and an indigenous culture wouldn't develop because there'd be few children to pass it on to.

Then of course you'd have to take the land from some crowd, wouldn't you? You'd have to invade some island in the South Pacific with no big scary friends and scare the locals away with glitter guns and leather whips. Don't think that would go too well

Without straight people life would be very boring. Or rather, life would be too full of drama and bitchin. There's a reason we're in the manority and it ain't just for reproduction, this country would probably have 10 civil wars a year until a dominant tribe emerges. Let's face it, it was always gonna be the Bears.

And that's the point I suppose. "Gay" isn't a culture, it's not a race and for most it isn't a lifestyle. It's just a sexuality that is found in every race and in every lifestyle and in every culture. The populas of the gay country would end up very fractionated. There'd be Western European gays living in one area, Jewish gays living in another, there'd be crazy conservative gays and crazy liberal gays. And the bisexuals would probably be hunted out of the place when they start a straight couple section where they van send their kids to school and have all the resources they need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I think this thread gives us an idea why such a place wouldn't work :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Links234 wrote: »
    I think this thread gives us an idea why such a place wouldn't work :p

Exactly, there has been some nasty hostility in some recent threads! Some people in this community are more concerned about fighting each other from the inside out than supporting each other.
    And that's the point I suppose. "Gay" isn't a culture.
    Err......what? Way to erase a few decades of rich and interesting history, haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭irish_dave_83

The gay nation would not work, very simply because it would get blown off the face of the planet by some extremist country, the world is not ready for that. It just creates a target for them.

In regards to wakkas view on straight people, being to blame for his reluctance showing PDA's. I would agree with him to a point. Obviously a large percentage of straight people(like myself) dont have an issue with it. But it just takes one or two bad experiences to make someone think about what they are doing. Also I have been on the receiving end of some abuse from gay people on a night out, mainly because of one stupid guy, but it woudn't make me tarnish the straighphobia/hetrophobia tag on any other gay person, so this is where i think he is going wrong. Maybe he is worrying too much about what others think, or what actions they might take, which is understandable, but the thing is, those people who are going have negtive thoughts or take negative actions, care little for what he thinks, so why give them so much respect. In a different country maybe, but not in your own one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Perhaps not but I have witnessed gay women being harassed by gay men in a gay bar, with the men telling them to go to a lesbian bar. Fortunately the owner has the decency to eject the troublemakers.
    While it is relaxing to be in a situation where gay people can act without fear of censure, why would one ghettoise oneself? Personally I like the vibe in a place like Sitges, with a mix of gay people, and straights who see us for what we are...people.
    As Quentin Crisp remarked when interviewed ''I don't know why gay people want to be separate but equal... that means they want to be cut off from nine-tenths of the human race. 'I have nothing in common with them,' they say. Why, you have everything in common but the funny way in which you spend your evenings.''

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Perhaps not but I have witnessed gay women being harassed by gay men in a gay bar, with the men telling them to go to a lesbian bar. Fortunately the owner has the decency to eject the troublemakers.
    While it is relaxing to be in a situation where gay people can act without fear of censure, why would one ghettoise oneself? Personally I like the vibe in a place like Sitges, with a mix of gay people, and straights who see us for what we are...people.[/B][/I]

We'll have to agree to disagree that it's ghettoisation. I'm not talking about exclusively and only going to LGBT spaces, all I'm speaking of is my own experience in needing those places as a reprieve from what felt like a very hateful world as I came to terms with myself. Anyway, I'm kinda done justifying my experiences anymore (not directed at you personally silva). Those spaces (and I'm not just talking bars) helped me and that's the sum of my opinion on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

We'll have to agree to disagree that it's ghettoisation. I'm not talking about exclusively and only going to LGBT spaces, all I'm speaking of is my own experience in needing those places as a reprieve from what felt like a very hateful world as I came to terms with myself. Anyway, I'm kinda done justifying my experiences anymore (not directed at you personally silva). Those spaces (and I'm not just talking bars) helped me and that's the sum of my opinion on the matter.
    Understand completely. I felt similarly at first, but people are people with all the fine and negative points that go with that, no matter what their sexuality.
    As Auntie Mame said "life's a banquet and most poor sons of bitches are starving".

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Understand completely. I felt similarly at first, but people are people with all the fine and negative points that go with that, no matter what their sexuality.
    As Auntie Mame said "life's a banquet and most poor sons of bitches are starving".

And I agree completely. By no means was I saying all LGBT people are wonderful, beautiful souls. I've met plenty of assholes. Just that, for me, the support I got and the feeling of inclusivity was a really important thing. No different than someone posting a query on this forum instead of PI or something, really.

Advertisement