Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Sports Arena 2015 Feedback thread **Mod warning post 121**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It really doesn't matter whether we treat it as a game or not, I don't know in what way it is supposed to be funny, surely not funny ha ha anyway. You knew it was a "gag", some of us had a very tiny moment of satisfaction before the hours of annoyance:o

Anyway it's good to hear you won't do it again, it doesn't fly here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

It really doesn't matter whether we treat it as a game or not, I don't know in what way it is supposed to be funny, surely not funny ha ha anyway. You knew it was a "gag", some of us had a very tiny moment of satisfaction before the hours of annoyance:o

Anyway it's good to hear you won't do it again, it doesn't fly here.

Some of the comments from people in reply would suggest some got it.

And a very tiny moment of satisfaction and an equally tiny moment of annoyance. It is a game that has no bearing on ones life.

Anyways, as I said I won't be doing it again.

And referring to the bolded part, you should definitely be treating it as a game. If not then I'd be taking a look at my participation in the game as it would not be healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,598 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Some of the comments from people in reply would suggest some got it.

And a very tiny moment of satisfaction and an equally tiny moment of annoyance. It is a game that has no bearing on ones life.

Anyways, as I said I won't be doing it again.

And referring to the bolded part, you should definitely be treating it as a game. If not then I'd be taking a look at my participation in the game as it would not be healthy.

You're completely in the wrong here. Great that you're not gonna do it again, but tbh that should be expected anyway.

CSF wrote: »
    You're completely in the wrong here. Great that you're not gonna do it again, but tbh that should be expected anyway.

What is wrong?

There's a line and getting angry about a split second thing like that is overstepping the line.

But fair enough..

What is wrong?

There's a line and getting angry about a split second thing like that is overstepping the line.

But fair enough..
    If you know something is gonna piss off that many people on a forum and you still do it that is seriously bad conduct on such a good-natured forum.

Every possibility you didn't know you'd piss people off at the time, but now you do so you should stop complaining that people take their FPL teams seriously on a forum almost solely comprised of FPL content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

What is wrong?

But fair enough..

Some posters take the game way too serious, I didn't think it was a big deal and certainly don't think it merits an automatic ban - but others do.

The idea of a feedback thread was for people to give their views and mods etc to take them on board and make changes if they want to. On here it appears that if i or you give a view that some posters don't like, they will say we are wrong or don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

A lot of people have invested time and money into the game so of course they are going to take it seriously.

If you know something is gonna piss off that many people on a forum and you still do it that is seriously bad conduct on such a good-natured forum.

Every possibility you didn't know you'd piss people off at the time, but now you do so you should stop complaining that people take their FPL teams seriously on a forum almost solely comprised of FPL content.

It's a moment of brief joy followed by a moment of "arggh!".

I take the game seriously. Do you get angry over things that happen in the game?

I play the game the best I can, if I do well I do well. If I do badly I'm frustrated, but it's not going to effect my life. What happens in a match happens and nothing that is said in any thread will change that.

A lot of people have invested time and money into the game so of course they are going to take it seriously.

There is no entry fee to play the game so the forum should be moderated as a free game.

Also I invested a lot of money in fifa. I did not alter any results.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Some posters take the game way too serious, I didn't think it was a big deal and certainly don't think it merits an automatic ban - but others do.

The idea of a feedback thread was for people to give their views and mods etc to take them on board and make changes if they want to. On here it appears that if i or you give a view that some posters don't like, they will say we are wrong or don't agree.

I don't think it deserves a ban and I've said as much, it takes a while to get used to the nuances of any forum and I would suggest that it should be pointed out that it isn't particularly funny and it will annoy a few posters at least. If you ever look at the FFS or Totalfpl discussion threads they are absolutely destroyed with it. We would hate to see it become the norm here, we all take the game too seriously for sure but whats the point doing anything if you're not going to have some sort of investment in it.
    I don't think there is a clique here as you suggest, I disagree with everyone from time to time, obviously the posters who I know a bit better I'll be a bit more careful about how I phrase things but we're all here for the discussion.

• Advertisement

It's a moment of brief joy followed by a moment of "arggh!".

I take the game seriously. Do you get angry over things that happen in the game?

I play the game the best I can, if I do well I do well. If I do badly I'm frustrated, but it's not going to effect my life. What happens in a match happens and nothing that is said in any thread will change that.
    That's fine how you view the game. Nobody is disrespectful of that.

In turn you should be respectful of other people who would be put out by being told that possibly their captain had scored a goal, only to find out it was just someone taking the piss. I didn't actually see your post but it would have pissed me off no end if I had.

Contrary to what that other lad tells you, this isn't a cliquey forum at all and it's actually very good natured and respectful and all you really need to do is behave that way, and you will see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

@ Gits and Ace.

IMO your posts are descending into passing judgement (negatively) on other posters motives, lives etc.

Gits...It's been made clear that the vast majority of posters simply do not find that fake post stuff funny. Some find it really really annoying, I just find in puerile, silly and pointless myself. Each to there own, but the fact is almost without exception people ('the community') are saying they don't find it funny and, and rather than accepting that you are judging them and how seriously they take the game.

With all due respect I'd stop digging if I were you.

I don't think it deserves a ban and I've said as much, it takes a while to get used to the nuances of any forum and I would suggest that it should be pointed out that it isn't particularly funny and it will annoy a few posters at least. If you ever look at the FFS or Totalfpl discussion threads they are absolutely destroyed with it. We would hate to see it become the norm here, we all take the game too seriously for sure but whats the point doing anything if you're not going to have some sort of investment in it.
    I don't think there is a clique here as you suggest, I disagree with everyone from time to time, obviously the posters who I know a bit better I'll be a bit more careful about how I phrase things but we're all here for the discussion.

No, i do agree, and the forum is handled really well with stuff like txt speak or lol at that decision, or why you dump costa, etc, and basically anyone that says it is told off and everyone sees this and respects it, i was more pointing at this thread, from what i can see - a few posters express they opinion that others are wrong, or heavily disagree and voice it here, instead of just letting the mods take it on boards and go from there.

Has it been a problem like these "fpl" sites you mention on here without moderation?

As I said, it was a gag that was well received by most. It was a moment in time when no goals were being scored, the thread was quiet enough at the time.

The people who were offended were probably the same type of person who asks if a group email with team news is a good idea.

And I have no monetary investment in the game, but I still take it seriously. I didn't alter any result so you're money is safe with regards my actions.

Would you lose the head if FPL awarded an assist to someone and then took it off them? Would you lose the rag?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Git, you're not gonna do it again are you ?

No, i do agree, and the forum is handled really well with stuff like txt speak or lol at that decision, or why you dump costa, etc, and basically anyone that says it is told off and everyone sees this and respects it, i was more pointing at this thread, from what i can see - a few posters express they opinion that others are wrong, or heavily disagree and voice it here, instead of just letting the mods take it on boards and go from there.

Haven't you done that exact same thing earlier in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

Totally agree with both of ye.. It's a game... I know it can be for quite a bit of money and prizes but in reality it's a GAME and if you are getting upset for hours about a post on a forum you should take a step back and relax!

Has it been a problem like these "fpl" sites you mention on here without moderation?

As I said, it was a gag that was well received by most. It was a moment in time when no goals were being scored, the thread was quiet enough at the time.

The people who were offended were probably the same type of person who asks if a group email with team news is a good idea.

And I have no monetary investment in the game, but I still take it seriously. I didn't alter any result so you're money is safe with regards my actions.

Would you lose the head if FPL awarded an assist to someone and then took it off them? Would you lose the rag?

You're being really disrespectful for very little reason.

FHFC wrote: »
    @ Gits and Ace.

IMO your posts are descending into passing judgement (negatively) on other posters motives, lives etc.

Gits...It's been made clear that the vast majority of posters simply do not find that fake post stuff funny. Some find it really really annoying, I just find in puerile, silly and pointless myself. Each to there own, but the fact is almost without exception people ('the community') are saying they don't find it funny and, and rather than accepting that you are judging them and how seriously they take the game.

With all due respect I'd stop digging if I were you.

I've already said I won't be doing it again. :rolleyes:

Rikand wrote: »
    Git, you're not gonna do it again are you ?

I am not going to be doing it again no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Great!

Everyone agree to just drop it so ?

he made a judgement call. It wasn't well received, lesson learned!

I wasn't talking about you doing it again.

I was talking about your behaviour on this thread.

FHFC wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about you doing it again.

I was talking about your behaviour on this thread.

Ok, sorry. I am going to leave it there anyways on this topic.

I don't really feel it needs to be moderated as my post was just one in my time here...and that's a lot of posts in match threads.

Rikand wrote: »
    Great!

Everyone agree to just drop it so ?

he made a judgement call. It wasn't well received, lesson learned!

He seems the think it was "well received by most" actually which is patently not true, and he now seems to want to belittle some people who it has annoyed.

I had no real problem this poster till the last half hour on this thread. Silly stuff, and I'm not gonna get sucked in further.

Haven't you done that exact same thing earlier in the thread?

Nope, i don't believe i've told any poster that they are wrong, or have heavily disagreed with them, all i've done was give my initial opinion of the forum, and then tried to make a joke about a comment you made, that was not taken the way i meant.

Anyway best just to leave it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

right lads, that's enough discussion regarding the fake goal shouts.

I'll say this though as a final word. I have zero tolerance for it. If I see it, the person will be getting a minimum of a week ban, regardless of whether you are new or not. It's a sh!tyy thing to do. At the end of the review period, I'll discuss with co-mods to agree a length.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    right lads, that's enough discussion regarding the fake goal shouts.

I'll say this though as a final word. I have zero tolerance for it. If I see it, the person will be getting a minimum of a week ban, regardless of whether you are new or not. It's a sh!tyy thing to do. At the end of the review period, I'll discuss with co-mods to agree a length.

So you can ban people for whatever you like?

That is pretty shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

I’ll add my agreement to those who have already said that the forum is in good shape overall.

Regarding the number of threads: I can say that the only thread I never read is the RMT thread. It’s better when someone asks a direct question such as ‘who would be better for the next 3 weeks; Chadli or Downing?’.

I agree with Mr. P that including sigs with your team ID compromises privacy a bit. I also agree that it’s not that hard to find the line-ups in a match day thread so I don’t think one guy needs to take responsibility for that.

One thing that did annoy me was a poster who constantly maintained that he had picked the right team but his that his rival had benefited from incredible luck (this happened for months). He has since left this parish.

I am aware that this is the Fantasy Sports Arena and some other fantasy games may get buried down a page or two but if people were posting enough in golf/darts etc. fantasy threads to keep those threads on page 1 then it would happen. I don’t thing the FPL posters should feel bad about dominating page 1. As Iroced mentioned already we had to campaign to get get an FSA forum so we should be rightly proud of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

So you can ban people for whatever you like?

That is pretty shít.

I said end the discussion. You didn't and are arguing a modding decision on thread. Warning.

Secondly, if you want to about it, take it up via PM with me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

Well that took the thread on the express train down the rabbit hole to troll town; you should all be thankful that FutureGuy got to the thread before me or we'd have a lot more cards and bans handed out but lets clarify a few things. This is a feedback thread; it's to post opinions on the posts (and by extension behavior) on this specific forum by users. That means commenting on someone's posting style should not be done on an individual basis but rather as a general style; i.e. I think posting jokes such as xxx is bad taste is fine but stating posts by yyy are generally poor is not. Secondly if you think someone is trolling you don't bloody engage them on thread; you report them and if you can't stand their postings you put them on ignore. Third some people appear to have taken this thread as some kind of scoring system which it is not; it's to gather opinions for the moderators to review and nothing else. Ultimately as moderators we'll make the final call but as outlined in the FAQ under the posting etiquette:
    Discretion of the Moderator

Discretion of the Moderator

If you think these rules bind the moderators hands, think again. The moderators have discretion to react and moderate as they see fit, in the best interests of the forum they take care of. You can challenge a decision using the Dispute Resolution Process, but don’t think for a moment you can use the guidelines above to find some semantic loophole to excuse your behavior (people who do this are known as “rules lawyers” and are seen as a small step above trolls). It’s not going to work. The spirit of the law is more important than the wording of the law on boards.ie and our guidelines can and will change if and when there’s need.

Now I'm going to unlock this thread one final time; any more express trains down the rabbit hole will not be dealt with the gentle hands of FutureGuy; you have been warned.

Nody

//MOD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement