Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A gig in Brussels

• 21-02-2014 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭

Thinking of heading to Brussels for a gig in the AB. This seems to be a pretty central location, would that be right? What's the best way to get there i.e. Ryanair or AL (worth paying more for AL?)? Any recommendations on cheap but decent hotel and things to do while there for a 2-3 day midweek trip?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If Ryanair is a lot cheaper, I'd go with them. They fly into Charleroi. It a 50 minute bus journey to the centre of Brussels. The buses depart from outside the main terminal building every 20 minutes or so and a return ticket is 22 quid or something like that. Aer Lingus fly into the main Brussels International airport. It is on a direct train line to the city centre & the journey takes about 20 minutes. You'll get into the city centre quicker, but when I was there last year, I didn't think that the 30 minute saving really warranted paying Aer Lingus 3 times what Ryanair were charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

midweek fares with Aer Lingus are usually higher because of the amount of E.U. meetings. Try and book well in advance. Direct train link to Brussels Midi train station for me would negate any savings made with Ryanair but if it is a lot cheaper, fly into Charleroi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lc180

Can't comment on the international airport as both time I've been to Brussels I've flown into Charleroi.

The bus to/from the city is fine, 12euro each way or something like that but if the bus is full you may have to wait until the next, probably not that common though. Last time I taxi-pooled with other passengers for the same price as the bus but its faster and there's no waiting & queuing. Just walk to the taxi rank outside the airport and you will see folks trying to get enough passengers to fill a taxi. Worth considering.

Brussels is great, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I would pay the extra and fly into Brussels airport. Charleroi is a pain in the hole, and if you're going for the weekend, it's not worth the stress, plus you get more time in this most underrated of cities.

Plus, AB is only a short walk from Brussels Midi, not far from the Grand Place, Bourse, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Cheers, lads, when I checked there was about €40 difference between the fares, probably worth sticking with AL for that by the sound of it. Gig is a Wednesday, would like to stay until Friday or maybe even Saturday but flights get very expensive then (stangely!). Any recommendations on a cheap-ish hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

The flights probably go up because of the Eurocrats and lobbyists who toddle off for the weekend.

I made a boo boo. You want to go to Gare du Midi to be central and not too far from AB.

I did get a relatively cheap place, Hotel de la Madeleine a long time ago, but it was really rough, even though it was in a great location. It may have gone up in the world since (but not from the outside last time I was there, and so might have the prices.

I don't know what your budget is, but it's actually worth getting on the websites and snooping out a few nice places to stay in some further out neighbourhoods like Saint Gilles and Ixelles. Both are still within walking distance of the old centre and getting there might take you through the posh Sablon neighbourhood which is delightful. I got lost and came cross some nice bars with some good bands playing. The area past Bourse is really the place to go for a night out in the city centre. Moeder Lambic is a place to get decent, unusual and rare Belgian/Brussels beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Went to Brussels for gig in AB last year, venue is very central. Great sound quality btw, operate beer tokens for your info too. I stayed in Menninger hotel, check it out, superb value, lively spot with all types/nationalities staying there. 15 min walk to AB approx & relatively central enough.

Advertisement