Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spawn

• 09-07-2005 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, just bought this today, and have to say, I was very happy!

Saw it years ago, in a 12 rated cut. Got the 18 cut today for a tenner in HMV. Couldn't resist buying it. I vaguely remembered it being shoddy and generally poor, but the cover art is great and I had an interest in seeing it again in the directors cut version as compared to the crappy 12's cut. After watching it, it was admitadly shoddy in places but overall I loved it!

The armour and Violator effects were fantastic, some of the other Hell effects dreadful, but overall, I think this is a very enjoyable movie that has been relatively hidden from the public view - none of my friends have ever seen the movie.

What does anyone else think? And can anyone recommend the animated Spawn 2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I love Spawn, very underrated show I think. I love when the clown turns into the Violator for the first time and they fight in the ally.
    As for the animated second, if it's what I think you're talking about then you might be in for a surprise. I picked it up on dvd but it was most (or all)of season 1 of the animated series cut down and shaped together in one feature length show. Still, worth getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

Cool movie, John Leguzamo(sp?) as the violator was excellent.

Never knew there was an animated Spawn 2 movie. The animated tv series has some great visuals and is more related with the comics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The thing is, there is a "Spawn 2", and its animated. However, its bbfc 12.

The animated series for the most part is bbfc 15 and some cases 18.

Cant imagine they managed to slice it enough to get it from 18 to 12?

At that rate, I might be better off buying the season 1 in seperate parts..!

Or there is the remote chance thats its not the tv show at all.

I will prob buy it on dvd tomorrow, see what its all about! (Spawn 2)

The thing is, there is a "Spawn 2", and its animated. However, its bbfc 12.

The animated series for the most part is bbfc 15 and some cases 18.

Cant imagine they managed to slice it enough to get it from 18 to 12?

At that rate, I might be better off buying the season 1 in seperate parts..!

Or there is the remote chance thats its not the tv show at all.

I will prob buy it on dvd tomorrow, see what its all about! (Spawn 2)
    Well I'm going by memory (because I lent mine to a friend) but the one I got was a box with two dvds in it, one 15's and one 12's.
    But I used tune in every night when the animated series was shown on what was then CNX. And watching the movie I could almost picture scenes that they had left out from the series.
    So I reckon you should go for the animated series seperately. It's what I'll eventually do when I find them all locally.

EDIT: Just occured to me that I might have gotten some sort of whittled down series 1 box set and there's actually an animated movie I don't know about.
    Amazon time!

Spawn 2 on Amazon

There you go! Spawn 2 :cool:

Might pick it up tomorrow.

Super deal - Spawn Live action and animated Spawn 2 for 11 Sterling together! However, be warned - only the cut 12's version of Spawn on Amazon. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I watched some of the series on CNX too. It wasn't bad. I liked the way some of the stories focused on the 2 detectives and I absolutely hated McFarlane's introductions... he came across as a right prat.

I absolutely hated McFarlane's introductions... he came across as a right prat.
    That's because he is a prat....he thinks he's God's gift to comics.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0783114338/qid=1120867515/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/102-9406299-2686503?v=glance&s=dvd
    I know you just posted a link too Mobile but just in case you were looking for more information, there's more of a description there.
    Oops, wrong link for a sec there :)

Here

Spawn 4 Disc Ultimate set. Only 13 Sterling new! I'm getting it right now. :)

Sweet, that's the link I originally posted by accident, I must get that too.

Looking back, pretty confusing thread it must be said. :)
    But if anything it's given me a hankering to watch Spawn tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

the series ruled compared to the film, the dvd's were pants compared to the vhs's coz they slammed the 18 rated Vhs down to a 12 rated dvd and cut all the best bits out! in the 18 vhs you see a guy get his face smashed in with all the gory detail, and in the dvd was nothing spawn picked him up in one shot, the next the guy was on the floor...man the pissed me off!

• Advertisement

As posted above, the 4 disc ultimate collection is a mere 13 sterling....its unrated, but I cant tell if they are the cut or uncut versions!

The uncut versions can be bought seperately, but its pretty hard to beat 13 quid for everything in one set...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Spawn i remember watching that movie for the first time and not really being into it(but then again this was when i was about 8 and i didnt have the mental capacity for such)watched it again like 2 years ago and although i thought it was really cheesy i loved it.couldnt be arsed looking for it or scraping enough money to buy it though ill just burn it.O yea the soundtrack is fu(king brilliant too any one who likes metal should defo give it a look

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I tough the look of the comics really came accross in the movie but damm the story sucked. Pity really :(

The animated series while has no relation to the film and more akin to the original plot for the spawn comic before Macfarlane got greedy and kept it going, suffers the same fate as the comic with cool ideas but way to much brooding and dullness and story thats just to drawn out.

Cool animation tho and some of the asskicking that Spawn hands out are damm cool :)

Advertisement