Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Grant for masters?working atm

• 20-05-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Hi,Im am currently working but i would like to go back to college in sep to do a masters.Would i qualify for a grant?thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,452 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

fire_man wrote: »
    Hi,Im am currently working but i would like to go back to college in sep to do a masters.Would i qualify for a grant?thanks

There are no maintenance grants for masters anymore. You can get a grant towards fees only. The grant would be assessed on your income at october 2011.

2011 income limits are here but these will probably change

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭fire_man

Thanks ,would I be entitled to dole then while doing masters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

No. I don't think you would as you are currently working. With BTEA even if you are unemployed there are very few awards for Postgraduate. The only reason I know this however is because I have been researching. You may get a more definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 PixieDixie

You can apply for grant for pg course but grant only covers fees. they will take into account your change of circumstance i.e. that you will have left your job when they assess your application. look at studentfinance.ie or facebook.com/susisupport
    with regards to your dole, you wouldn't get that because you won't be available for work because you are in fulltime education and I think to qualify for BTEA yo have to be unemployed for the previous 9 months prior to attending college.
    hope this helps.:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

PixieDixie wrote: »
    I think to qualify for BTEA yo have to be unemployed for the previous 9 months prior to attending college.
    hope this helps.:)
    Masters courses aren't covered under BTEA anyway.
    the postgraduate option of the Back To Education Allowance is payable only to persons who wish to pursue a postgraduate course of study that leads to a Higher Diploma (H.Dip.) qualification in any discipline or to persons in pursuit of a Professional Diploma in Education hitherto known as a Graduate Diploma in Education (Primary & Secondary Teaching) [NVQ Level 8].

Other types of postgraduate qualifications are not recognised for BTEA purposes. e.g. Masters, MA, MSc, M.Phil etc. However, there is an exception to the eligibility rule for Masters based on ‘life experience’ whereby a person is admitted to a Masters programme without a primary degree. The person needs confirmation from the college detailing the basis of their offer of a college place and confirming that it excludes the requirement to hold a primary degree. A small number of cases have arisen where a college has granted an exemption from the requirement to hold a primary degree and has admitted a person to a Master’s course on the basis of relevant life experience. In the context of the ongoing review of the operation of the scheme, it was decided to extend entitlement to back to education allowance in these instances on an exceptional basis. Under no circumstances will BTEA be awarded to a person who already holds a postgraduate qualification

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,452 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

cee_jay wrote: »
    Masters courses aren't covered under BTEA anyway.

Sometimes they are
    However, there is an exception to the eligibility rule for Masters based on ‘life experience’ whereby a person is admitted to a Masters programme without a primary degree. The person needs confirmation from the college detailing the basis of their offer of a college place and confirming that it excludes the requirement to hold a primary degree. A small number of cases have arisen where a college has granted an exemption from the requirement to hold a primary degree and has admitted a person to a Master’s course on the basis of relevant life experience. In the context of the ongoing review of the operation of the scheme, it was decided to extend entitlement to back to education allowance in these instances on an exceptional basis. Under no circumstances will BTEA be awarded to a person who already holds a postgraduate qualification

http://www.welfare.ie/en/operationalguidelines/pages/bte_all.aspx

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement