Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, you're officially long term unemployed

• 03-05-2012 2:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

You've been a year on the dole for over a year.....so what the f$#@ have you done about it?

Giving out about the government/economy/bankers, blaming everyone else, ringing Joe Duffy or ranting on internet forums doesn't count. And I'm not asking how many times you forwarded your standard CV and cover letter onto various employers.

What have you achieved in the last year to increase your employability? New skills? Learned a language? Coached the local under 10 team? I could go on all night.

It's a genuine question! Don't take offence

People who were long-term unemployed but got a job in the past year feel free to share your tips!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

yore wrote: »
    You've been a year on the dole for over a year.....so what the f$#@ have you done about it?

Giving out about the government/economy/bankers, blaming everyone else, ringing Joe Duffy or ranting on internet forums doesn't count. And I'm not asking how many times you forwarded your standard CV and cover letter onto various employers.

What have you achieved in the last year to increase your employability? New skills? Learned a language? Coached the local under 10 team? I could go on all night.

People who were long-term unemployed but got a job in the past year feel free to share your tips!
    Wait how long were we on the dole for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Wait how long were we on the dole for?

I don't know. I'm off to bed. The thread is addressed at those who are long term unemployed or who were. Hence the title. It's purpose was to reduce the number of irrelevant posts from people with nothing helpful, or even humorous to contribute. It doesn't seem to gave worked very well. Don't get confused. I'm not telling you that you are unemployed.

Simarly, here is a thread asking if you shave with or against the grain. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056616198 . Again, if you read that thread title and don't shave (Too young/wax/got it lasered) don't get confused. It's not addressed to you.

I'm sorry if you don't understand. Not every post is a personal message for you. This one, however, is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

I don't know. I'm off to bed. The thread is addressed at those who are long term unemployed or who were. Hence the title. It's purpose was to reduce the number of irrelevant posts from people with nothing helpful, or even humorous to contribute. It doesn't seem to gave worked very well. Don't get confused. I'm not telling you that you are unemployed.

Simarly, here is a thread asking if you shave with or against the grain. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056616198 . Again, if you read that thread title and don't shave (Too young/wax/got it lasered) don't get confused. It's not addressed to you.

I'm sorry if you don't understand. Not every post is a personal message for you. This one, however, is.

Ya bleeding mad thing :pac: get some sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Not every post is a personal message for you.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I don't know. I'm off to bed........

If you had a job you'd have been in bed hours ago. Go learn a language or something ya bum!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Mind your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

I took up a professional mastrubation course

Level:Wizard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm sensing wolf in sheep's clothing thread. :eek:

I've learned how to pull a great pint of Guinness which is a huge feat considering I've had to watch the barman in my local...from the smoking area. Mind you it's taken about 20,000 pints to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

What? I'm unemployed? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

From what I've learned, apparently all long-term unemployed people spend most of their time fornicating to have more children in order to get a bigger council house.
    They do take occasional breaks from this work by going on sun holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

From what I've learned, apparently all long-term unemployed people spend most of their time fornicating to have more children in order to get a bigger council house.

Or if they don't have a council house and are in private rented accommodation torturing their home owning neighbours, robbing us blind, blocking our cars in, making false complaints to Gardai in an effort to mitigate their own poor behaviour, screaming to all who will listen that they are going to sue all around them and then telling anyone who listen about their "good name"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

As an employer, the biggest thing i have to say is polish your goddam CV....

If you're at home for that length of time and your CV is anything less than immaculate in every way, then it speaks volumes.
    Spelling errors, syntax, innapropriate e-mail listed, poor layout, etc etc.
    I can only assume that the lack of attention to detail and accuracy in the CV will be carried over to their work.
    Also, do some charity work. Working for free look immensly better on your cv than a 2 year long blank gap....Its looks awfull and paints you as a person out to do the bare minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

This.

Girl i know, unemployed for her entire life. Single mother and can still afford the latest iphone, 2 yearly sun holidays, a nice 4-bed, and going out for meals.

Unemployment benefit should be subsistence level only.

And cap the child benefit at 3 kids max. Its a vagina, not a ****ing clown car.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Made redunadant mid 2010, got part time work june 2011, and place on FAS course in september.

During time sent countless applications, had 5 interviews, learnt to drive, done an ECDL, got a days work during the election. Must of the time though it was mind numbing boredem, sometimes on the verge of depression.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    This.

Girl i know, unemployed for her entire life. Single mother and can still afford the latest iphone, 2 yearly sun holidays, a nice 4-bed, and going out for meals.

Award for the quote of the week goes to???

Across the green from my house there is a family on the social, get their money today (I know this because from today and for the rest of the weekend they will live on take away. They have a big people carrier etc) even if I wanted to live on take outs I couldn't afford to do it and I work for myself and have a good enough income

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

This.

You seem to know an awful lot about her, did you get her knocked up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I had 4 kids

I jus' love this threads......:)

toexpress wrote: »
    Award for the quote of the week goes to???

Across the green from my house there is a family on the social, get their money today (I know this because from today and for the rest of the weekend they will live on take away. They have a big people carrier etc) even if I wanted to live on take outs I couldn't afford to do it and I work for myself and have a good enough income

In the Valley of Twitching Curtains, there lived a Watcher who spent every moment Watching his neighbours (across the Green)....

mattjack wrote: »
    In the Valley of Twitching Curtains, there lived a Watcher who spent every moment Watching his neighbours (across the Green)....

Watch? You can't miss it when the rozzers are round at 3 in the morning waking me up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I really feel sorry for people out of work, it's a right kick in the boll1x. I was unemployed for 7 months back in 2009 and it was a bad space in my life but i have been working every day since then. Im lucky to have found a job. I only got it because i knew a manager where i started. All is good now.

I don't however feel sorry for long term unemployed people 5+ years, These people make me mad, Lazy slobs. These people should be cut out from society like the bad cancer that they are. In the USA these people would be out on the street as they are worthless, rightly so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

irish-stew wrote: »
    Made redunadant mid 2010, got part time work june 2011, and place on FAS course in september.

During time sent countless applications, had 5 interviews, learnt to drive, done an ECDL, got a days work during the election. Must of the time though it was mind numbing boredem, sometimes on the verge of depression.

i hear you. It is depressing. I was made redundant end of December 2010. I joined the fundraising committee of a charity close to my heart, also signed up to do training for the Samaritans and finished that 2 weeks ago so I am now on the phones.... am seven months into an unpaid marketing internship that I do 9.30-6pm four times a week.

I have signed up to start a foundation in counselling course at the end of this month (put that on the credit card but did so because I want to do the degree that starts in October).

Not sure how I am going to get the money together for the fees, save and hopefully top that up with a credit union loan.

But it is the career I want to pursue as my skills in publishing are pretty much redundant and I don't want to work in that field anymore.

Not all people on the dole are happy with their situation and plenty are plugging away trying to better themselves against the odds.

I really feel sorry for people out of work, it's a right kick in the boll1x. I was unemployed for 7 months back in 2009 and it was a bad space in my life but i have been working every day since then. Im lucky to have found a job. I only got it because i knew a manager where i started. All is good now.

I don't however feel sorry for long term unemployed people 5+ years, These people make me mad, Lazy slobs. These people should be cut out from society like the bad cancer that they are. In the USA these people would be out on the street as they are worthless, rightly so....

So you didn,t get the job on merit ? and if you didn,t know the manager you could be still unemployed now and becoming a lazy slob soon to be tossed out on street ... like the bad cancer you are ? Is a good cancer , by the way ?

i hear you. It is depressing. I was made redundant end of December 2010. I joined the fundraising committee of a charity close to my heart, also signed up to do training for the Samaritans and finished that 2 weeks ago so I am now on the phones.... am seven months into an unpaid marketing internship that I do 9.30-6pm four times a week.

I have signed up to start a foundation in counselling course at the end of this month (put that on the credit card but did so because I want to do the degree that starts in October).

Not sure how I am going to get the money together for the fees, save and hopefully top that up with a credit union loan.

But it is the career I want to pursue as my skills in publishing are pretty much redundant and I don't want to work in that field anymore.

Not all people on the dole are happy with their situation and plenty are plugging away trying to better themselves against the odds.

Well done, I lost my job three years ago and been on two different CE schemes for different types of charity and just finished my first year in college and am hoping to get funding to continue next year.

Being unemployed is sh,ite,.. but like you said you just keep plugging away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

You just have to stay positive. At some point things will turn around.

I also knocked drinking on the head as that was proving a killer and really making me depressed.

if I had not lost my cushy job (it was well paid and I was happy) I would never have pursued what I believe is my true calling. This has all beenan incredible learning experience for me.

But down the line, I will look back on this time and think against the odds, i did it, I pushed myself and believed in myself and it will stand to me.

In saying that, I do know of people on the dole years who are doing nothing. I can't change them, I can only live my life and not take to heart comments about being a dole bludger. I know I am far from it and if I had the opportunity of paid work (and not an unpaid internship), believe me, I would be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

not true, this is where much of the procreation takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I did two interships in the field of my study, bought all the course books related to my degrees (60) and read bits from them a few times a week. I keep up to date on the news of any stories related to the area.. But im thinking its more my poor level of connections (have always been quiet) that are letting me down, trying a bit of self improvement books and just general dvd watching helps. Most people will say this is depressing but i've also just 'been alone with my thoughts' which isnt too bad as i'm somewhat philosophical.. This helps in life (incorporating work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Its a vagina, not a ****ing clown car.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

for me it was like this

apply for jobs
    wait
    get automated response email acknowledging receiving your applications
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    receive email from Recruitment firm asking me for an updated CV
    upload updated cv
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    apply for jobs
    wait
    wait
    receive email from Recruitment firm asking me for an updated CV
    upload updated cv
    wait

as you can see thats pretty soul destroying when companies don't actually send you a personal response.

in the end i took an internship just to get out of the house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

mattjack wrote: »
    So you didn,t get the job on merit ? and if you didn,t know the manager you could be still unemployed now and becoming a lazy slob soon to be tossed out on street ... like the bad cancer you are ? Is a good cancer , by the way ?

Well i have qualifications and found it hard to find work still. So i took an oppertunity when it came up, I was asked to do the job im in now...can't you understand that? Rather than being a number on the dole i took my job...paid tomorrow now as well :)

Advertisement