Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exercise in pregnancy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I have to recommend 'Active Birth' by Janet Balaskas. It has really clear, easy to follow instructions for yoga exercises as well as lots of great birthing information. I did the exercises as birth preparation and used them in my labours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Great ideas here. I am 14+6 wks now. Really feel more energy the past 2wks which is so great. Trying to keep up some jogging but i take it very easy tbh. Would love to tackle a hill walk but my club only do min 5-6 hrs ones so not sure i'd be up for that. Could try a shorter one myself of half the distance! Also hope to resume swimming. Are there any strokes NOT recommended? I usually go betw freestyle and breaststroke. Also, are pilates classes generic or sould I seek pregnancy one? Final question: when did you start kegal exercises? I havent yet. Is it too soin or the sooner, the better? Due Oct 1st :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

73trix wrote: »
    Also hope to resume swimming. Are there any strokes NOT recommended? I usually go betw freestyle and breaststroke.
    All strokes are recommended, swimming is one of the best exercises you can do during pregnancy :) The heavier you get the more being in the water becomes a welcome relief!
    73trix wrote:
    Also, are pilates classes generic or sould I seek pregnancy one?
    You'll need to go to a dedicated pregnancy pilates class with an instructor who is qualified to teach pregnant women and is familiar with the regular aches and pains we have. Some of the pilates moves aren't suitable for a pregnant woman (being on your back for a prolonged time, movements with a very wide range of motion as relaxin makes us more prone to injury, leaning on your wrists a lot if you have carpal tunnel etc.). I've been doing pregnancy yoga and I'm starting pregnancy pilates classes soon - there's a big emphasis on positions that can be used during labour and a focus on the pelvis and lower back. You'll learn a lot of lovely stretches that help you ease out muscle aches as your body changes (and it changes SO much!)
    73trix wrote:
    Final question: when did you start kegal exercises? I havent yet. Is it too soin or the sooner, the better? Due Oct 1st :)
    It's never too soon to do kegels!! Again these will probably be done in class but it's recommended that all pregnant women (and women in general) do them a few times a day, working up to holding the squeeze for ten seconds at a time.

Walking/ swimming is great for general fitness in pregnancy, yoga/ pilates is wonderful for stretching tired and achey muscles and teaching you about keeping your pevlic girdle strong for labour and kegels will aid in recovery and healing psot-birth - if you were to do all of the above you'd be in great shape for the arrival of your little one!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

FurBabyMomma, I did a yoga class when I was pregnant the last time but I also got a really good DVD that I did at home whenever I felt like it. Its divided into sections too so you can do the short "relaxation" part if you don't have time for the whole thing. It was Pregnancy Health Yoga with Tara Lee

I also had a pilates one. It was more of a workout so was good if I wanted to burn some energy. It was 10 Minute Solution - Prenatal Pilates - again divided into 10 min sections that work on different parts of the body. When i stopped running towards the end of my pregnancy I continued to use these DVDs. They're both on Amazon but there are loads of other ones too

Thanks househunter, coincidentally I have the Tara Lee dvd ready to go, looking forward to popping it in and having a go :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Jerrica wrote: »

It's never too soon to do kegels!! Again these will probably be done in class but it's recommended that all pregnant women (and women in general) do them a few times a day, working up to holding the squeeze for ten seconds at a time.

I never remember to do kegels! I must try to, they are supposed to be brilliant altogether.

Got out for my second little lunch time jog today. I sent an email around work last week to see if anyone wanted to do lunch time runs. 3 girls came out on Tuesday and 3 (2 new) came out today. We just did 3 miles at about 10min/mile and it was fine. Obligation to meet someone seems to be a good motivator for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

oh I love this thread! I'm 21 weeks this weekend. I would have run for a couple of years before getting pregnant, and have been running through pregnancy except for the last 2 weeks. Nothing too crazy, 10km my max racing distance! I was struck down with the vomiting bug and that floored me for a week and trying to finish my thesis for college this week has meant running took a back seat!

I am waiting to get a mothercare belly support thing in the next week or two as I definitely want to keep running but starting to feel weird the bigger my bump gets.

I have dreams of doing the 2015 Dublin marathon (would be my first). Am I mad to marathon train the year after my first baby?! I think finding the time might be tricky but I can't shake the feeling of wanting to give it a go.

Hoping to join a pool this month and start swimming too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Cameoette i did the Dublin marathon about 6 months before i became pregnant with my first. To be honest there's no way I'd have found the time or energy to train for it since he was born. In the future when they're a bit older I may get back to the longer distances but right now I'm happy to get get out for an hr or so a few times a week if i can. Mind you if you have an understanding partner who's willing to look after baba while you train and you have the energy then theres no reason why you can't do it as long as you're feeling up to it :)

Hey cameoette welcome to the thread! Great to hear you are still running. And long may it continue :)

I have a similar idea about a marathon after bubs arrives. I'm due in sept 2014 and I'm thinking to aim to get back running by Christmas and then take 9 months to train for am autumn marathon 2015, maybe Dublin on a trip home but more likely one wherever we'll be living (probably move sept
    2015). I've run 2 before. I second what house hunter says, it takes a lot of time to train, like at least an hour 4 days a week and then 3-4 hours long run, not including shower and stretching times. My main concern is that. My other half runs too and he is all on for me getting back running after so he'll mind bubs and we're getting a running buggy (in fact he thinks waiting till a year after birth to do a marathon is too long, but he's a nut). As I've done it before I know what it takes to get around and know I can finish one so I'm going for it. This will be my first baby though, so all that might change! My overall aim is to get aBoston qualifying time in the next few years, so getting back into it next year is toward that. Like HH said, if you can get the time to train and you feel good then no reason why not :) it is a great feeling :)

Let us know how you get on with your belly band. I don't need one yet but I'm sure I will and I'm interested in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dub8

I never remember to do kegels! I must try to, they are supposed to be brilliant altogether.

Got out for my second little lunch time jog today. I sent an email around work last week to see if anyone wanted to do lunch time runs. 3 girls came out on Tuesday and 3 (2 new) came out today. We just did 3 miles at about 10min/mile and it was fine. Obligation to meet someone seems to be a good motivator for me!

Running with other people definetly makes it easier and much more enjoyable. I did a 10k race this morning , it took me 47 mins , although slower than before i was delighted with it and really enjoyed the race. At 6 months , im delighted to still be moviing ! Before i was so competetive so it was niice to take a step back and just enjoy ! It was great to be out raciing and getting that buzz when you cross the line. Other people really pull you along as well. Im wrecked now but in a good way !! :) Havent been doing anything else other than running and walking, was never good at doing classes etc .

Really hope to continue with running as well after the birth but will have ot be more flexible with regards training i guess ! Ive never had the desire ot do a marathon , i prefer shorter distances so hope can keep that going !

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Thanks ladies, I have a feeling I might be being super optimistic about the marathon in the first year! I think I will really have to play it by ear. Time and energy are two things I imagine I'm not going to have a lot of! My partner is mad into kayaking so we are planning to be fair to each other and take turns minding baby so we can each other pursue our passions.. Hopefully this works in practice :)

I will definitely let you know how I get on with the belly belt madeinamerica! that's fab about going for a Boston qualifying time. The very best of luck with it. That's a very long term goal of mine!

• Advertisement

Cameoette wrote: »
    Thanks ladies, I have a feeling I might be being super optimistic about the marathon in the first year! I think I will really have to play it by ear. Time and energy are two things I imagine I'm not going to have a lot of! My partner is mad into kayaking so we are planning to be fair to each other and take turns minding baby so we can each other pursue our passions.. Hopefully this works in practice :)

I will definitely let you know how I get on with the belly belt madeinamerica! that's fab about going for a Boston qualifying time. The very best of luck with it. That's a very long term goal of mine!

'play it by ear' is probably the best way to go, but, you know, keep the marathon goal in sight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Yep, do play it by ear and don't put too much pressure on yourself either. It can take longer than you think to properly recover after a baby. I was back running quickly after my last one despite a 3rd degree tear but i healed and recovered quickly. All the same I don't think i was properly back to myself until 6 months post baby. I was running but it was slow going and I found it tough for the first few months. Really it was just a nice stress reliever and a break after looking after the baby all day - i loved running out the door as soon as my husband got in! :)
    But i felt no desire to start training for anything serious - its tiring getting up several times a night and looking after a small baby all day so just make sure you listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard. Plus when you go back to work, you have such a short time with your baby in the evening that heading off for a 12 mile run might not appeal so much. Just see how you go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Anyone play racket sports? when pregnant? I play badminton, not competitively and I am still playing. Am only 16wks tomo so very small bump, feeling great. If so, how long did you keep it up?

In Boston ths weekend to watch some friends run the marathon. Great buzz altogether at the race today, and quite a few Irish. Felt a little jealous but definitely inspired :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I'm just back in the gym after 5 months out with a knee injury.. i was going 4-5 times a week with boxing spinning and strength conditioning training top of my list.. my warm up was a 5k run.
    Now i feel like i'm back in junior infants :pac: I have 5 weeks of rehab strengthening to do and then i can get back to normal. no running unfortunately, too much muscle waste on my right leg yet and my knee won't take it until after i have surgery... which i can have til after the baby :eek::mad: anyway, its great to be back at it but a pain to go from squats with 50kgs on my shoulders to doing leg curls with 5kgs :( but i'll get there ... i will ....
    Spinning class will be my goal for 6 weeks time and by 7 months they said they'll shift me over to the recumbant bike.. (like an auld one!! :pac:)
    Until then its weights, bike and pilates .. and no sauna :eek::(

I'm just back in the gym after 5 months out with a knee injury.. i was going 4-5 times a week with boxing spinning and strength conditioning training top of my list.. my warm up was a 5k run.
    Now i feel like i'm back in junior infants :pac: I have 5 weeks of rehab strengthening to do and then i can get back to normal. no running unfortunately, too much muscle waste on my right leg yet and my knee won't take it until after i have surgery... which i can have til after the baby :eek::mad: anyway, its great to be back at it but a pain to go from squats with 50kgs on my shoulders to doing leg curls with 5kgs :( but i'll get there ... i will ....
    Spinning class will be my goal for 6 weeks time and by 7 months they said they'll shift me over to the recumbant bike.. (like an auld one!! :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I was in bits with sheer exhaustion for the first 3 months of my pregnancy and my great intentions of exercising frequently went out the window. Just existing each day was more than draining enough for me.
    Thankfully that has mostly passed now (I still need a nap post work in the evening time) and I've been feeling much more energised.
    I did the Bray to Greystones cliff walk yesterday and really enjoyed it. The weather was brilliant, the walk was just long enough and not too rough on my SPD- it took 90 minutes to do 8.5km and given the terrain and that its been forever since I did that walk I was quite happy with that.

j@utis wrote: »
    a quick Q for a pregnant cyclists: what cycling shorts/pants do you wear? I'm talking about the padded ones. Do padded maternity cycling shorts/pants exist? I'm afraid not!
    I have a road bike and a pile of cycling gear but I'm 21weeks now and the bump is substantial, so there's no chance anything of that gear still fits me. Weather has been so nice last few days and I'm very keen to get back to cycling but I need new cycling clothing now, arrrggghhhh.

This'll sound mad, but lidl have padded cycling shorts in at the moment and the mens ones are bibs.. (like dungarees).. these might suit? (they look mental :D)

I was in bits with sheer exhaustion for the first 3 months of my pregnancy and my great intentions of exercising frequently went out the window. Just existing each day was more than draining enough for me.
    Thankfully that has mostly passed now (I still need a nap post work in the evening time) and I've been feeling much more energised.
    I did the Bray to Greystones cliff walk yesterday and really enjoyed it. The weather was brilliant, the walk was just long enough and not too rough on my SPD- it took 90 minutes to do 8.5km and given the terrain and that its been forever since I did that walk I was quite happy with that.

Sounds like a lovely walk. I miss that bit of Dublin.

cbyrd wrote: »

Hard luck on the injury, cybrd. It is hard adjusting down to what is possible during pregnancy. Sounds like you have a good plan to get you back in shape :)

• Advertisement

Ok I've the stupidest sunburn after the weekend, just the backs of my hands from the cuffs down. Looks like I've been slapped! Ah, the suffering from cheering on a marathon ;)

Got out for a 3.5mile jog at lunchtime today with a few girls from work. Doing just under 10min/mile but feeling a lot better at it now than before. We're getting between 3 and 6 people out twice a week for the past 2 weeks which is great. Lovely weather, out in shorts and t-shirt. Supposed to be a thunderstorm this afternoon so I'm glad I got a run in before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

It's just two weeks since Emmet was born!! I'm dying to get out for a run, but I have to say my 'undercarriage' is still far too sore :( I get out for a walk everyday, so hopefully in about another fortnight I'll be able to do a little.

Just to say to all the exercising ladies, along with breastfeeding (which has a lot to do with it) I'm back in my civvies! I'm no spring chicken, so yoof isn't on my side. I really think being active up to the labour has really helped.

olaola wrote: »
    It's just two weeks since Emmet was born!! I'm dying to get out for a run, but I have to say my 'undercarriage' is still far too sore :( I get out for a walk everyday, so hopefully in about another fortnight I'll be able to do a little.

Just to say to all the exercising ladies, along with breastfeeding (which has a lot to do with it) I'm back in my civvies! I'm no spring chicken, so yoof isn't on my side. I really think being active up to the labour has really helped.

Congrats olaola! Emmet is a lovely name. Good on you getting out for a walk every day. Back in your civvies after 2wks? That's pretty amazing, Emmet must be a hungry boy! I guess keeping active kept you trim and you didn't have too much to lose? That is a good incentive to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

olaola wrote: »

Fair play to you to be able to feed him and still fit in walks. Thars brilliant.
    He must be a quiet little thing !

Congrats olaola! Emmet is a lovely name. Good on you getting out for a walk every day. Back in your civvies after 2wks? That's pretty amazing, Emmet must be a hungry boy! I guess keeping active kept you trim and you didn't have too much to lose? That is a good incentive to us!

He's a total GLUTTON! I suppose between keeping active and the fact that I just couldn't physically fit in that much kept me trim during the pregnancy. All my cravings were pretty virtuous, except for the odd cake :)
    I was just aware that labour was going to be very physically demanding and I wanted to be fit as possible - he came out in 4 contractions. I'm convinced the steady weight gain also helped with not getting any stretch marks.

During the labour itself, I think the history of pushing myself physically really really helped. You know when you're at the end of a set, or just want to get that extra Km in. I always count to ten and just try to keep my mind off the physical pain! So when the contraction came to the height, I got the entonox, and counted ten long breaths from the peak. Knowing that when I got to one that the contraction would be over. It really helped me focus & get through them.

So making a long story short, and in spite of all the 'you should be sitting at home with your feet up' comments! I attribute my successful pregnancy and safe delivery in most part to keeping active. Maybe I was lucky? But it most certainly didn't have any negative impact.

monflat wrote: »
    Fair play to you to be able to feed him and still fit in walks. Thars brilliant.
    He must be a quiet little thing !

When he starts crying, he loves being walked around - so it's sometimes a distraction tactic! Got a lend of a Baby Bjorn, it's brilliant, can go for a good long walk and my back doesn't get sore or he doesn't feel too heavy. And he's in the perfect position for many kisses on his head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Anyone do kettle bells during their pregnancy? Some of the work outs on you tube are insane. I don't know if I should keep the class up that I normally do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I'd have huge concerns about doing kettlebells during pregnancy. Bell swings involve a lot of pelvic movement and with the high levels of relaxin in your system you might be prone to injury.

Edit: you may still be able to do it but make sure any class is taught by someone with experience in perinatal exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Thanks for the reply. I have the same doubts about it, especially the swing. I wish all gyms had to have someone trained in perinatal exercise. It would be very reassuring. I am still doing a weights class but there are no jerking movements and I really pace myself. I am doing acqua aerobics and then some machines as well. I find exercise really helps me have a good pregnancy, it's my second one by the way.

• Advertisement

The gym i go to is great.. all the instructors are qualified for pregnant lady workouts.. the only thing i was advised against was core exercise after 12 weeks but i have 3 that are a pilates based that are fine.. I do weights and cardio, but i'm restricted after a serious knee injury so i'm only walking and using the bike.

I was told i can pretty much do what i'm comfortable with as long as i keep an eye on my heart-rate and that i don't sweat too much.. it was all explained to me as to why and why i can't use the sauna :(

I have day 1 2 and 3 plans and i get lots of help with dismantling the wieghts off the bars.. the big muscle guys seem to have a block when it comes to putting them back on the rack :rolleyes: men!!

Advertisement