Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm still loving it, and can't see myself playing any other mmo for a long while. Certainly won't be getting MoP anytime soon. I think Planetside 2 will be the only thing that will tear me away from it.

Some of the bugs are annoying me though, and crafting is a pain in the ass at the moment (bloody tiny totems and tiny claws!!), but overall it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

pH wrote: »
    I'm pretty much there myself - it all feels, well, pointless - none of the "must get one more bit one" of other MMOs.

Why they used a COD model for the PvP I have no idea (splitting it completely from the PvE) - if the end game is PvP but you don't need to do any of the "pre-game" it all seems a bit pointless.

I have a huge problem with "banning" people who have paid their hard earned money for a game - and banning people for an "exploit" which was them mispricing an item on a vendor is in my mind bordering on a criminal action.

Anyway a week in I'd give GW2 5/10.

Arenanet need to make big changes fast - if this is all about large scale (complex) PvP and they make no money from subs, and they can't make cash from the PvP (pay to win) and there is no newbie friendly way for people to join in (as good players become better and there's no ladders/ranking to allow players compete with others of similar skill/experience) anyone new will find the PvP very intimidating. Arenanet will be left with a small group of palyers PvPing with no income.

in the old guildwars anet kept pvp and pve separate, this worked and worked really well. You did get elitist teams who wouldn't accept any players under rank 9 etc, which is tough on new players, but plenty of new players were banding together to create cookie cutter teams and getting fame (pvp points) for that, that's how I started. Eventually your rank will go up and you will be welcome at the higher levels.

The upshot of this was surprising, because of the elitists and hard entry more and more pve players wanted to play pvp as opposed to being "scared off" because it gave them something to aspire to.

In fact because everyone gets the same stuff from day 1 in pvp, you could say anet are not pandering to the pvp grinders (people who pvp doggedly until they get better gear and through no skill (just better pvp gear) are winning matches they have no right to win).

Anyway PvP is a blast in this game, I started it last night for the first time and jumped up 3 levels in an hour on random teams.
    Also tried the open world pvp and it was brilliant, I just spent the time hitting PoIs and gathering and joing the pvp when it made it's way to me.

GW1 had the very best team pvp of any mmorpg, looks like this is set to continue. The characters themselves are a bit limited, but I can already see the team possibilities. Pressure builds (15 necros anyone?) spike teams balanced teams it's all there.

I would also like the hall of heroes to be implemented at some stage too, objectives are fine but sometimes, I just want to focus of killing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I cant get enough of GW2 tbh, if your a veteran or new mmo fan whats there not to like?
    It looks great,combat is excellent, classes are fun,the new method of events as opposed to questing is a breath of fresh air.
    I too wont be touching another mmo for a while,i have zero interest in MOP and thats coming from a WOW player since release day with numerous breaks here and there.
    People saying endgame is WvWvW only are just wrong, there are dungeons with different levels of difficulty,should be plenty of both pvp and pve endgame.
    Ive played every mmo out there and none felt this good straight away, will this last? who knows , but for now im optimistic that ill be playing GW2 regularly enough in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I'm pretty much there myself - it all feels, well, pointless - none of the "must get one more bit one" of other MMOs.

Why they used a COD model for the PvP I have no idea (splitting it completely from the PvE) - if the end game is PvP but you don't need to do any of the "pre-game" it all seems a bit pointless.

I have a huge problem with "banning" people who have paid their hard earned money for a game - and banning people for an "exploit" which was them mispricing an item on a vendor is in my mind bordering on a criminal action.

Anyway a week in I'd give GW2 5/10.

Arenanet need to make big changes fast - if this is all about large scale (complex) PvP and they make no money from subs, and they can't make cash from the PvP (pay to win) and there is no newbie friendly way for people to join in (as good players become better and there's no ladders/ranking to allow players compete with others of similar skill/experience) anyone new will find the PvP very intimidating. Arenanet will be left with a small group of palyers PvPing with no income.

There's so much wrong with this post you either don't really see where Anet is going with GW2 or you're being critical for the sake of being critical.

Firstly COD model for pvp, you'll have to explain that one to me? What has COD got to do with pvp? When you say separate the pvp from pve I assume you mean world pvp. Personally I think this was a great idea. World pvp has never been done right in any MMO bar maybe Darkfall. In WoW and every WoW-clone it was a pointless annoyance that got in the way of progress and encouraged griefing.

I'm delighted they are taking such a hard stance on exploiting and botting. They only banned people who quite clearly knew it was an exploit and used it hundreds of times. Why should the average player be at a disadvantage to these exploiters? They got away with it in other games and Anet are sending a very clear message that it will not be tollerated which is great.

Also on the no "pre-game". You do realise you can PvP from level 1 and level to the cap this way if you please and your point about new players finding pvp intimidating is crazy. For the first time in a proper MMO the playing field is level as everyone has access to the same gear. No gear ladder means new players AREN'T at a disadvantage compared to other MMO's, and don't give me the skill thing as this applies to every other MMO as well as having a gear ladder to make it harder on new players.

Anet have already made the big changes you talk about, that's the point and they've really shaken up the MMO scene by having the balls to do it their way without having a sub fee. Sorry but the majority of your post is complete nonsense!

Finished AC story-mode last night. I was really looking forward to this as I wanted to see how a proper 5 man would work without the "trinity" and it was great. This is the one thing I had reservations about but I now have faith in the system.

Without going into too much detail, everyone will have aggro fairly regularly and when you do you need to manage it. Melee can swap to sword and board on the fly and pop defensive abilities and heals while ranged can Kite and dodge. There's obviously more to it than that but it works well. I was thinking about re-rolling Guardian but I loved playing Ranger in the set-up and will definitely be sticking with it now.

For harder packs and some bosses my job was to pull the melee or Boss from the group and kite them until the group cleaned up the rest. A nice change from the normal DPS role of pay attention to your skill rotations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reaper12

I also agree with their stance on using exploits. It's sends a clear message to the community, don't do it, you will be banned. It's very simple. Also, nobody can say that they weren't warned, it's written in the EULA that you click yes to when you first play the game. It says that using exploits or botting will be banned. I don't know why some people are complaining and saying this is harsh?

Then again, I don't know why people would want to use exploits, why pay for a game then not play it the way it was intended to be played. It would seem a complete waste of money to me.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Finished AC story-mode last night. I was really looking forward to this as I wanted to see how a proper 5 man would work without the "trinity" and it was great. This is the one thing I had reservations about but I now have faith in the system.

Without going into too much detail, everyone will have aggro fairly regularly and when you do you need to manage it. Melee can swap to sword and board on the fly and pop defensive abilities and heals while ranged can Kite and dodge. There's obviously more to it than that but it works well. I was thinking about re-rolling Guardian but I loved playing Ranger in the set-up and will definitely be sticking with it now.

For harder packs and some bosses my job was to pull the melee or Boss from the group and kite them until the group cleaned up the rest. A nice change from the normal DPS role of pay attention to your skill rotations.

I read that somewhere, I can't remember where :D Some reviewer or something, but he said the biggest haters of GW2 would be the hardcore MMO players who have used time honoured techniques in every group battle. Players that are so used to doing things a certain way that playing Gw2 would require new group dynamics and some players would not like this at all!!

It's going to be challenging to beat bosses now, because any 5 classes should be able to group together and this will certainly need some thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Big Knox wrote: »
    There's so much wrong with this post you either don't really see where Anet is going with GW2 or you're being critical for the sake of being critical.

No just a bit unimpressed that's all.
    Firstly COD model for pvp, you'll have to explain that one to me? What has COD got to do with pvp? When you say separate the pvp from pve I assume you mean world pvp. Personally I think this was a great idea. World pvp has never been done right in any MMO bar maybe Darkfall. In WoW and every WoW-clone it was a pointless annoyance that got in the way of progress and encouraged griefing.

No I mean every FPS/3PS shooter with "multiplayer" has an entirely separate SP and MP mode- things you do in one barely influence the other and vice versa. Anet have made a very similar design choice GW2 and it all seems a bit boring and sterile to me.
    I'm delighted they are taking such a hard stance on exploiting and botting. They only banned people who quite clearly knew it was an exploit and used it hundreds of times. Why should the average player be at a disadvantage to these exploiters? They got away with it in other games and Anet are sending a very clear message that it will not be tollerated which is great.

How is buying an item even remotely "exploiting" and worth worthy of a company stealing €54.99 of a person? If Anet don't want you to buy multiple items off a vendor that could code that in - they could have simply deleted all these items from the game - the "honest" player would have lost 21 karma! But no they screw up and their response is to steal money from paying customers.
    Also on the no "pre-game". You do realise you can PvP from level 1 and level to the cap this way if you please and your point about new players finding pvp intimidating is crazy. For the first time in a proper MMO the playing field is level as everyone has access to the same gear. No gear ladder means new players AREN'T at a disadvantage compared to other MMO's, and don't give me the skill thing as this applies to every other MMO as well as having a gear ladder to make it harder on new players.

What I'm talking about is that there is no system in place, say like what's become popular in MOBA type games to allow players compete with players of and around their own skill level/ranks - sure let the "elites" play whose got the biggest epenis all they want but there has to be a way for tiered combat to happen if you want new players joining all the time.
    Anet have already made the big changes you talk about, that's the point and they've really shaken up the MMO scene by having the balls to do it their way without having a sub fee. Sorry but the majority of your post is complete nonsense!

Without a sub fee they need either to keep getting paid by the PvPers (pay 2 win) or keep selling copies of the game - any game primarily focussed on PvP needs a well designed way to allow new blood join - otherwise you accept that you make all your game sales on opening weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Without a sub fee they need either to keep getting paid by the PvPers (pay 2 win) or keep selling copies of the game - any game primarily focussed on PvP needs a well designed way to allow new blood join - otherwise you accept that you make all your game sales on opening weekend.

I dont think you are aware of their Financial model from Guild Wars 1, In game cosmetic/efficiency purchases and Expansions. Not every MMO has to have a ridiciulious Monthly sub ya know!

Worked a charm for Guild Wars 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

How is buying an item even remotely "exploiting" and worth worthy of a company stealing €54.99 of a person? If Anet don't want you to buy multiple items off a vendor that could code that in - they could have simply deleted all these items from the game - the "honest" player would have lost 21 karma! But no they screw up and their response is to steal money from paying customers.

What?:pac:

It isn't buying a single item and getting banned, It isn't even buying 10 of them! They only banned people who bought fifty or more, Which means you are obviously taking advantage of a misprice. It floods the economy with crafting material and high level weapons which you think is grand?

Do you honestly think it is ok to buy thousands of an item, Break them down into god knows how much crafting material and then tank the economy within the first week?

It isn't stealing money from people, They accepted the rules of conduct before starting the game. They knew the risk of what they were doing and yet you think they shouldn't be banned? The economy was at risk and ANet did exactly what they should of done.

Here:
    You will not exploit any bug in Guild Wars 2 and you will not communicate the existence of any such exploitable bug (bugs that grant the user unnatural or unintended benefits) either directly or through public posting, to any other user of Guild Wars 2.

They accepted this before they started.

• Advertisement

ANet have proven with GW1 that you can run a company just offthe sales of your game. The typical pay to play model is overkill and pure greed.

That model is old and will die out soon, because buying a game and then paying to play it in hindsight is completely ridiculous.

No I mean every FPS/3PS shooter with "multiplayer" has an entirely separate SP and MP mode- things you do in one barely influence the other and vice versa. Anet have made a very similar design choice GW2 and it all seems a bit boring and sterile to me.

Again I don't see the problem here and I think you are finding one just because it's different from the norm. Have you enjoyed world pvp in previous games? Again it just encourages griefing and has no real purpose.

The players who purchased one or two at the mistaken price haven't been punished. The players who bought 200+ have been. No "honest" players were banned unless you think someone who decided to spend 10k+ karma points on the same item 200 times thought they were doing as the game intended.

Also they haven't perma-banned them, they've let them sweat it out and have now given them the opportunity to come back which I think has been handled excellently. In future I hope they follow through with their stance on perma bans where they think it appropriate.
    What I'm talking about is that there is no system in place, say like what's become popular in MOBA type games to allow players compete with players of and around their own skill level/ranks - sure let the "elites" play whose got the biggest epenis all they want but there has to be a way for tiered combat to happen if you want new players joining all the time.

While I don't think this is necessary due to the way sPvP gear is handled I also wouldn't be against a ranking system. It is also week one however, if there is a demand for it I'm sure Anet will implement it.

Also remember WvW is alot more casual than sPvP. New players who are learning the ropes will have a much better time in WvW and when they do progress into sPvP they do so at a level playing field.

In what way will they be getting paid by PvPers? There is absolutely nothing you can buy in game to give you an advantage in PvP or PvE and they have stated there won't ever be. I'm really struggling to understand your point here. It's like you are saying that having no subscription fee is a bad thing. If Anet are content making all their sales from the initial purchase then why not commend them for it instead of looking for flaws in their business model which is clearly designed with the consumer in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

ANet have proven with GW1 that you can run a company just offthe sales of your game. The typical pay to play model is overkill and pure greed.

That model is old and will die out soon, because buying a game and then paying to play it in hindsight is completely ridiculous.

I see the advantages of both - personally I prefer a sub - the idea of playing a "Free 2 play" game knowing that if I was spending money I'd be doing "better" annoys me, breaks the immersion and leads to me not enjoying the game.

Little things like the BL chests drops, yes I know that keys can drop too, but it seems they drop at less than 1/2 the chest drop rate. That just seems petty and mean - when I pay my money to play a game I like to feel like a respected paying customer - F2P games make me feel more like a mark (I know that GW2 isn't technically F2P - still feels the same)

I see the advantages of both - personally I prefer a sub - the idea of playing a "Free 2 play" game knowing that if I was spending money I'd be doing "better" annoys me, breaks the immersion and leads to me not enjoying the game.

Little things like the BL chests a chest drops, yes I know that keys can drop too, but it seems they drop at less than 1/2 the chest drop rate. That just seems petty and mean - when I pay my money to play a game I like to feel like a respected paying customer - F2P games make me feel more like a mark (I know that GW2 isn't technically F2P - still feels the same)

First off it is not free to play, it is buy to play. The whole point is that everything can be got in game once you buy it and you are not excluded from anything(apart from cosmetics or extra character slots etc..). So ya, if ya want those Keys you will have to actually play the game. However there is always the option to pay for them straight up. In a F2P you would not be able to get those keys without paying, ya see the difference?

Ya have also mentioned the drop rates for the keys, Personally ive had 3 chests and 2 keys drop. Do ya have any evidence of the drop rates being increased for the chests? Scanning through fan forums like GW2Guru there is no evidence either. They also had a similar system in GW1 with Xunlai chest keys and it worked well so why would they change it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

_Puma_ wrote: »
    However there is always the option to pay for them straight up. In a F2P you would not be able to get those keys without paying, ya see the difference?
    Which is great if you don't have time to play the game all day.

The Black Lion Chests were kind of annoying me as well, but now i've started to get a fair amount of keys. If you do your personal story, you get them regularly. I've spent €20 of gems so far, on dyes, a set of medium armour and a bag slot.

I don't like how the armour works though. Basically, you get to transform one set of armour, with tokens for each slot. It's a one time use though, so you need to keep it forever and transform any future items with transformation stones to make it look like that. Not a good system. I'd hoped there would be an armour tab or something similar, where you could just click the item and use a stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

As someone who played DAOC pvp and it was the best pvp any mmo has had then and since, gw2 comes very close to its epicness. The wvwvw is just pure fun, and has so many objectives and array of stuff to do. The game is worth the asking price for just the wvw pvp alone.

Not sure where someone came up with a COD comparison, unless all they are doing is warfronts? which im sure are fun but I have no intention of doing much as every mmo lately has done warfronts and all have been boring affairs after a while, very few have done an open world pvp that works, infact id say 0 in last few years.

And I love the banning and Anet taking no sh1t. Hate seeing cheats and general greedy people get away with murder on mmos, ruins it for everyone else. Blizzard and trion done nothing about bots for years and people never gave up whining about it, now we have Anet who are taking a firm stance from the gate and all of a sudden everyone is a martyr and innocent :D

I spent €20 on Gems too. I'm thinking they will make a lot from store.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what do the gems do?

• Advertisement

More Specifically

Gem Store

Just had a very frustrating but very fun adventure in lions arch with Beet Root King. The vista to the south of the farpoint waypoint is hard to get to, but when you get to it, there is a maze and some really cool **** behind it. The jumping in the dark was so annoying but really good. A good way to spend an hour. No xp and no reward worth a damn but still well worth doing :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

reaper12 wrote: »
    Just had a very frustrating but very fun adventure in lions arch with Beet Root King. The vista to the south of the farpoint waypoint is hard to get to, but when you get to it, there is a maze and some really cool **** behind it. The jumping in the dark was so annoying but really good. A good way to spend an hour. No xp and no reward worth a damn but still well worth doing :-)

I think that's one of the best ways of describing the game really. You end up doing stuff because it's fun, regardless of reward. In terms of reward, you know you get a chest when you finish a section? Get all the hearts/vistas/PoIs/skill points etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

reaper12 wrote: »

That was me lol, i was trying to light the way with my staff mark's, then i went down the other side for a look but couldnt get back up and now im going to get a pizza !

Just wait till you try the jumping puzzle in Metrica Province. Talk about 2 of the most frustrating, but enjoyable, hours i've ever had in a game :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Hey, since the mass exploit the game is not selling on the website anymore. Been playing on an old friends account the last few days and I'm going to get GW to play casually. Does anyone know where I can get the DIGITAL version of the game for cheap online (outside of guildwars2 . com, obviously). Cheers.

EDIT: In people(s) opinion what is the most fun Irish-based (as in MAJORITY Irish) Guild in GW2 atm. Obviously voice communication, website, etc would be a plus. I'm just looking for something casual as I can't commit hundreds of hours to another MMO but would be fun to play with Irish people in this MMO, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Hey, since the mass exploit the game is not selling on the website anymore. Been playing on an old friends account the last few days and I'm going to get GW to play casually. Does anyone know where I can get the DIGITAL version of the game for cheap online (outside of guildwars2 . com, obviously). Cheers.

EDIT: In people(s) opinion what is the most fun Irish-based (as in MAJORITY Irish) Guild in GW2 atm. Obviously voice communication, website, etc would be a plus. I'm just looking for something casual as I can't commit hundreds of hours to another MMO but would be fun to play with Irish people in this MMO, at least.

Is this the karma weapons exploit you're talking about? Sales might not be being blocked because of that, could be a temporary measure due to over crowding. In fact, found this as well. Can't recommend a digital seller, but if you want the game now, I'd say hurry and find an online store before they run out of keys.

delta36 wrote: »
    Is this the karma weapons exploit you're talking about? Sales might not be being blocked because of that, could be a temporary measure due to over crowding. In fact, found this as well. Can't recommend a digital seller, but if you want the game now, I'd say hurry and find an online store before they run out of keys.

EDIT: NVM

Eire just kicked off, some old wow players + some newbies too, good crack, drinking on the weekends etc. Home is Gunnar's

• Advertisement

Eire just kicked off, some old wow players + some newbies too, good crack, drinking on the weekends etc. Home is Gunnar's

Cheers, will check it out when I finally get a digital version of the game TT;

Advertisement