Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

All good and fair points - hard to argue with it!

My reasons for JJ would be similar to the Gunner. I just think probably a bit more consistent than Henry and Tommy over the last few years - performance didn't drop as much. Okay Seamie went well on him in the finals - but, Seamie was red hot this year. Seamie would need five more years of what he done this year to get into the great league.

Forwards have an end product - scores on the board - whereas the high catch, hook, blocking, body on the line defending - bottling up a forward without touching the ball - doesn't have that. Scores capture the imagination and glory...

I think JJ is as good as Eoin and Henry... - I think Brian Corcoran, Brian Whelehan, and Ken McGrath were as good as anyone ...

What do people think of Eamon Corcoran's standing in the game...

All good and fair points - hard to argue with it!

My reasons for JJ would be similar to the Gunner. I just think probably a bit more consistent than Henry and Tommy over the last few years - performance didn't drop as much. Okay Seamie went well on him in the finals - but, Seamie was red hot this year. Seamie would need five more years of what he done this year to get into the great league.

Forwards have an end product - scores on the board - whereas the high catch, hook, blocking, body on the line defending - bottling up a forward without touching the ball - doesn't have that. Scores capture the imagination and glory...

I think JJ is as good as Eoin and Henry... - I think Brian Corcoran, Brian Whelehan, and Ken McGrath were as good as anyone ...

What do people think of Eamon Corcoran's standing in the game...

Eamon was a very very consistent player and certainly deserved more Munster and all ireland medals then he won. Like Kelly he was consistent with an awful Tipp team. Personally when he lretired in 2008 i thought we would suffer but luckily Padraic and Brendan Maher emerged.
    Corcoran is basically a victim of Tipp's mediocrity in the noughties overall.

In 1999 and 2000 he won back-to-back Fitzgibbon Cup. Corcoran was named the player of the tournament in both Fitzgibbon Cup tournaments...

I know Shefflin thinks very highly of him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Skoda are gone as our sponsors by the way. Was actually announced Thursday or Friday evening.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/tipp-looking-for-sponsor-after-skoda-deal-finishes-30797438.html

Managers in Business as well as in sport get it wrong from time to time. Tipperary gave a lot of exposure to the Skoda brand name and I am surprised that they could not negotiate another deal. Tipp footballers alone may prove them wrong with a possible promotion to Division 2. Oh, and by the way the Skoda Dealer in Clonmel, namely Ryan Motor Power did a lot to enhance the brand but maybe Skoda did not have such a good dealership anywhere else in the county.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Skoda aren't gone yet.

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »
    Skoda aren't gone yet.

Could you expand further on that please Glued?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

According to the Co board they are still in negotiations with Skoda about future sponsorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Could you expand further on that please Glued?

The contract has run out but both parties want to do a deal. Skoda may not be the jersey sponsor but may stay on in another capacity.

There isn't much information going around but the board were concerned about losing Skoda considering that some players got great use out of the cars especially the dublin based players. However, the cars had to be returned once they hit a certain KM.

A couple of weeks ago I heard that Coolmore have outbid Skoda but I'm not sure why Magnier would want to help Tipperary GAA. I know they give some money to Fethard and Killenaule but he supports GAA in Cork and Limerick too. Skoda are definitely still at the table and no decision has been made yet. I do know that the decision was to be made before Christmas so hopefully it's finalised before then.

There will be a lot of disappointed players if we lose Skoda and that may be the only thing keeping their bid alive.

glued wrote: »
    The contract has run out but both parties want to do a deal. Skoda may not be the jersey sponsor but may stay on in another capacity.

There isn't much information going around but the board were concerned about losing Skoda considering that some players got great use out of the cars especially the dublin based players. However, the cars had to be returned once they hit a certain KM.

A couple of weeks ago I heard that Coolmore have outbid Skoda but I'm not sure why Magnier would want to help Tipperary GAA. I know they give some money to Fethard and Killenaule but he supports GAA in Cork and Limerick too. Skoda are definitely still at the table and no decision has been made yet. I do know that the decision was to be made before Christmas so hopefully it's finalised before then.

There will be a lot of disappointed players if we lose Skoda and that may be the only thing keeping their bid alive.

Coolmore would actually look class on the Tipp shirt. Fair play to them if they are willing to put their money where their mouth is and they are indeed brilliant to sponsor local teams. Think they sponsor Fethard Rugby too.

Its JP McManus (who is involved with Coolmore) who actually sponsors Limerick himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Coolmore would actually look class on the Tipp shirt. Fair play to them if they are willing to put their money where their mouth is and they are indeed brilliant to sponsor local teams. Think they sponsor Fethard Rugby too.

Its JP McManus (who is involved with Coolmore) who actually sponsors Limerick himself.

Is it not john Magnier who owns coolmore?

Don't know if farmers trying to buy land around south/west tipp are too enthusiastic about coolmore. They're buying up everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

digzy wrote: »
    Is it not john Magnier who owns coolmore?

Don't know if farmers trying to buy land around south/west tipp are too enthusiastic about coolmore. They're buying up everything.
    It is Magnier.

They do sponsor the rugby club. Magnier helped the club with funding when they started up and provided half the funds for their dressing rooms and to get some extra land for training
    Its only Magnier actually involved with Coolmore. McManus isn't directly?

Two clubs call for an end to championship replays...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057119924&page=64

Two clubs call for an end to championship replays...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057119924&page=64

Fair enough on the basis that the All ireland replay disrupted the whole club championship in both codes but i personally think the happy medium to be found is perhaps to have extra time the first day out.

eoin kelly on newstalk now

such a pity his 'peak' years coincided with the carnage around him. Greatest hurler I've ever seen

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

County Senior Football Final on Sunday , looking forward to it . Loughmore going for 2 in a row up against Cahir who surprisingly have only ever won it once , would like to see Cahir win it !

• Advertisement

Tense final today i believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭chocaholic04

Trialling of new penalty puck in to start in the pre season provincial championships. Only the goalie may stand in the goal.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/2212141618-gaa-media-release/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Trialling of new penalty puck in to start in the pre season provincial championships. Only the goalie may stand in the goal.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/2212141618-gaa-media-release/
    Going to be interesting to see how that goes,I hope it succeeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Charlie69

tippspur wrote: »
    Going to be interesting to see how that goes,I hope it succeeds.
    How will its success or failure be measured though? if every penalty is scored during this trial period will it then be deemed a success or failure?

The only way I can see a penalty being missed is if the taker misses the target or miss hits his shot. I'm not saying that's a bad thing by the way, just wondering what criteria the powers that be will use to gauge its success or failure.

I suppose like in any sport the GAA is in the business of bums on seats - goals and excitement will ensure more tickets are sold (win more supporters) or not. NOthing like goals for excitement. I'd imagine the GAA also want to reward the forward and cut out cynical play. Through making goals easier to score on penalties it makes giving away penalties will result in a more likelihood of goals rather than a more difficult chance.

It's a preventive which will result in more goals from play or more dramatic play such as saves or wides. I think they should also introduce stricter rules for dragging the man down or giving away a peno when a player is through - in any sport - such as giving the player a final warning or sin bin for such professional fouls.

So it will be judged as a success if it cuts out cynical play - meaning more goals from play, if the penalties are more scorable ensuring the fouled team profits, and if the supporters react well to it... it is a business after all.

There are anomalies with every new rule so we'll see what this throws up - but that happens with most rules in sport.

I suppose like in any sport the GAA is in the business of bums on seats - goals and excitement will ensure more tickets are sold (win more supporters) or not. NOthing like goals for excitement. I'd imagine the GAA also want to reward the forward and cut out cynical play. Through making goals easier to score on penalties it makes giving away penalties will result in a more likelihood of goals rather than a more difficult chance.

It's a preventive which will result in more goals from play or more dramatic play such as saves or wides. I think they should also introduce stricter rules for dragging the man down or giving away a peno when a player is through - in any sport - such as giving the player a final warning or sin bin for such professional fouls.

So it will be judged as a success if it cuts out cynical play - meaning more goals from play, if the penalties are more scorable ensuring the fouled team profits, and if the supporters react well to it... it is a business after all.

There are anomalies with every new rule so we'll see what this throws up - but that happens with most rules in sport.

Won't suit the kilkenny crowd;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

digzy wrote: »
    Won't suit the kilkenny crowd;)

We've had the Nash rule - will this be called the Callinan rule i.e. make it easier to score? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

they should have split the difference an had the goalie and one defender would have been the fairest way imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

buggy beag wrote: »
    they should have split the difference an had the goalie and one defender would have been the fairest way imo

I reckon that's the long term plan. After the 'Nash rule' there was a serious goal drought that definitely influenced the result of matches. The 1 striker, 1 keeper rule (or the Callinan rule, I like the sound of that) will have the opposite effect. Goals will be pretty much guaranteed from penalties so having two lads defend a penalty will be a very diplomatic middle ground...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Congrats to Loughmore on winning the County SFC , their first 2 in a row and to Neighbours Drom and Inch , County IFC winners , Drom now a dual Senior Club !

Advertisement