Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[CoD Black Ops 2] News and Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ww2 is famously done to death although some still want a true game revolved around it, some.

If its modern era people harp on another mw rehash and as such complain. Blops did well to cover the cold war but thats essentially covered fully and there was no logical sequal.

So it was either futureistic or go shoot musket balls offa eachother from 2 sides of a big field, im pretty happy its in the future. There's absolutely no way another cod game will come close to pleasing everyone bar re-releasing cod4 it seems (which wouldnt surprise me $$)

It looks pretty cool, hollywood explosions lotsa gadgets and gizmos. Order of the day nowadays in fairness. It'll b.finally be something drastically different since cod 4 and will no doubt pick it up.

TELL US THE NUMBERRRRRRRRRS

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It's a glorified map pack with a €60 premium. I despair at people lapping this stuff up. It's fair enough to like these games (after all, there's no accounting for taste :p) but to buy essentially the same game year in, year out is depressing.
    Glorified map pack? Do you people actually play the games? Mw3 has 17 maps on release, 3/4 new game modes, new weapons, new spec ops game mode and a new campaign. Do these not count because its the same engine? :rolleyes:

Don't get me confused for a cod fanboy, I'd rather be playing RFoM or Kz2, but those games are dead and their developers created absolute abominations as sequels due to overchanging their games, forgetting why people liked them in the 1st place, going for the 'cod feel'. I played RFoM an insane amount, I played R2 for 2 months, I didn't buy R3. Why? Because it tried to be cod, and if I wanted to play a game like cod, I'd just play cod. At this point, any other shooter that I liked on PS3 has been ruined by crappy sequels, however I know the latest installment of cod will give me something decent and playable albeit 90% of my gameplay will be in restricted private games, at least CoD gives me that option. Kz3 removed it, BF3 removed it until months and months after release, Resistance also removed features they had in previous games in terms of private games.

So why am I buying a 'glorified map pack'? I'm guaranteed to get days and days of playtime out of it, and won't be particularly disappointed because I know what I'm gonna get. If in the mean time a decent shooter comes out, which hasn't made some horrible attempt to hybrid its own gamestyle with cod controls in order to boost sales, I'll try it. The only one on the horizon is CS:GO, which looks very promising. You can bash Cod's conservatism all you like (which I find ironic given that Bops 2 seems to be the most 'out there' cod so far), but when their competitors aren't producing, people will continue to buy cod.

As for reusing guns and other graphics? Doesn't bother me, gameplay > graphics all day long. Changing the looks of a gun for the sake of its a bad idea anyway, most of the guns that have changed from cod to cod look worse. Same can be said for other games, from my experience.

Actually, I can't help but ask: What would you improve in terms of weapon design/the HUD/Character models? You seemingly want them to change aspects of the game for the sake of it. The hud is fine, Mw3 is pretty much the peak of CoD so far weapons wise (not everything else) and the only issue with the character models is them brushing off eachother at the start of the map.
    cloud493 wrote: »
    Don't know why. It certainly is over priced, and the map pack prices are absurd, but their always really well designed, well done, good ish story, cool multiplayer, solid framerate, awesome game :D

Over priced? Last time I went to the cinema it cost me 7.50 for a student ticket, for 90 minutes of cinema time. I've probably got 15 days playtime on my 45 quid mw3.

*Points made in this post are at several people in this thread rather than the 2 posts I've just quoted*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Get a PC adam, you'd love it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I love call of duty! I don't mind paying my 48 euro :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »
    Outside of some of the lowest level functionality, there's very little left of the old Q3A codebase in the modern iterations of the engine. :)

Still 'feels' like Allied Assault and funny quirks like booting up an entirely new executable to run multiplayer, no matter how well hidden now, stink of Q3A code. Feels like a lot of fancy graphical polish put over the old engine no matter how much they changed it. Would love an engine change to even just make the game feel fresh again, although nothing would annoy the fanboys more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Still 'feels' like Allied Assault and funny quirks like booting up an entirely new executable to run multiplayer, no matter how well hidden now, stink of Q3A code. Feels like a lot of fancy graphical polish put over the old engine no matter how much they changed it. Would love an engine change to even just make the game feel fresh again, although nothing would annoy the fanboys more.
    Well at its lowest level the engine will still have the same architecture as the Q3A engine which is why you have the split between executables. That doesn't mean, however, that all of the core systems that sit on top of it like the renderer, animation systems, physics engine, audio systems etc.. won't have been entirely rewritten.

As for the possibility of a new engine, well while I'd love to see one, I can't see it happening until the next generation of consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought it looked pretty good? At least they changed things up a little.

No, you're not the only one, but this forum and most other COD forums go through a cycle of skeptical, hopeful, hyped, enjoyed, bored, disappointed, hated, rinse, repeat...

I think I'm gonna enjoy it, Blops was the first game I put serious time into, and I think this will be similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

I said I wouldn't buy into the hype, but something is telling me that Treyarch are going to f*cking nail it! I really do hope it revolutionizes the genre in much the same way that COD4 did.

Part One & Two Interview with Treyarch - good info here from Machinima.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It'll be cool if its the same universe as Modern warfare :D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Threads merged.

• Advertisement

If you're a Zombie fan, watch this NOW!

NGT with 30mins of info. Treyarch have actually moved zombies into the multiplayer engine. Now that might not mean very much to most people (it didn't to me) but it seems that they now have more room to maneuver. The zombie team have been told they've no restrictions and are no bound by anything in the campaign or multiplayer. So we're going to have zombie multiplayer playlists alongside the ordinary multiplayer playlists. This is going to be 3 games in one! That's right! They are going to have full playlists (like multiplayer screen) dedicated exclusively to zombie game modes (campaign/survival/vs mode ala L4D2)! :eek::D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Not sure the zombies is going to be a good thing now.

Some rumours going around that you will need to buy Elite from the get-go to even get access to online multiplayer lobbies at all. Activisions way of saying "FU". Well, we knew Pay-2-Play was coming eventually and Elite was the start of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

_Gawd_ wrote: »
    Some rumours going around that you will need to buy Elite from the get-go to even get access to online multiplayer lobbies at all. Activisions way of saying "FU". Well, we knew Pay-2-Play was coming eventually and Elite was the start of it...

I doubt those rumours are true. Not for this release at least. But maybe buying the game second hand will require Elite or a different sub.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Hearing rumours MOAB's will be in the game -__-

First promo poster for Zombies! Looks completely different...definitely a L4D vibe going on...

gaming_blackops2_zombies.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

well I cant see myself paying for that if its true!

If this was the case.. as a PS3 player I'd have to pay to play but if your on xbox and already paying a subscription to play online then you gotta pay for the privilege twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

-Ade- wrote: »

and there is no need for this.. just encourages camping really!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

People keep bringing this up, It won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

-Ade- wrote: »

Woo

MOAB Man V2

• Advertisement

Machinima talks about Perks - some crazy changes coming...and some game breaking one's too by the sounds of it. :(

Pilot and Technician will stack killstreaks! There's also a perk that allows you to fake death..wtf? And Spy may end up f*cking the whole game over....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

how many people here are going to renew their Elite sub?

anyone?

*tumbleweed*

I cant even remember the last time I went into Elite, its just an unused icon on the xmb these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

Horses ? really ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

krudler wrote: »

anyone?

*tumbleweed*

I cant even remember the last time I went into Elite, its just an unused icon on the xmb these days.

One of the biggest regrets I have was wasting the extra money on it for maps I can't get a game on, through to clan ops that rarely happen and when they do are in game modes that I don't play, at times in the night when I'm too busy hitting prostitutes in the mouth with a sock full of door knobs.

Although saying that, I did like the map packs on blops and Treyarch generally put things together better,so hopefully Elite might actually work this time around and be worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

krudler wrote: »

anyone?

*tumbleweed*

I don't have it now but if BLOPS2 maps are good I'd consider it for the DLC

I'd be a cheerleader for Elite if they actually gave the community BLOPS and W@W map lobbies to Premium Members. They'd already have our money so no need to worry about DLC sales dropping.

They could also incorporate some kind of clan integration. They could really take a few tips from the FIFA franchise with leagues etc. Perhaps install some kind of betting MLG pro gamer system where money/prizes can be won. That would take the series to a whole new level - I believe Treyarch actually said they're looking into MLG. The Professionals haven't seen COD as a great platform but that could change...

We should also get mod tools with Elite or some kind of map editor. They're going to have to offer us something, Elite could be so much more than just a load of ould stats that get boring after 10 seconds. Besides, didn't BLOPS give us all these kinds of stats for free?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

COD4/MW2 Maps>>all

COD4/MW2 Maps>>all

Agreed but there's no way we'll see Respawn Entertainment made maps in a Treyarch game. I wanted COD4/MW2 maps in MW3. But Treyarch should definitely put their older maps into BLOPS2 - Cliffside, Summit, Firing Range, Nuketown, Castle. They were great. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

COD4/MW2 Maps>>all

indeed, Crossfire, Overgrown, Strike, Crash, Terminal, Afghan, Favela, Wasteland (I like it!), awesome maps. of Blops I liked Nuketown, Summit and a coupel fo others I cant remember the names of, on MW3 Mission, Hardhat, Lockdown and Black Box, the rest are crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Is it possible to transfer Elite status does anyone know?

Advertisement