Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gym Program

• 15-10-2014 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Due to my current circumstances I will have from next week on to put on some muscle for GAA. I've gone through various threads and none really have anything good in them. I'd like to know of a gym plan for a 20 year old who plays as a wing back and forward or else midfield. I play football (GAA) also.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Join a weightlifting gym over the winter with good coaching.

Learn to move properly.
    Learn the big lifts properly - snatch, clean and jerk, squat and dead lift.

You'll put on muscle, move better and learn some new skills

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Refeek Maher

Playing wing back you need a lot of explosive power and fast muscle, therefore lifting a lot of big weights and putting on muscle for gaining weight and increasing size isn't really necessary.
    "snatch, clean and jerk, squat and dead lift" Are all very good exercises for increasing strength, power and gaining muscles but you will find yourself not being able to move as quick as you used to. You need to balance these exercises with speed work, core and stretching so that you do not find yourself getting easily side stepped and burnt by a pacy wing forward.

If you go to an athletic club and ask for a gym program similar to a 400 meter runner, this would be ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Playing wing back you need a lot of explosive power and fast muscle, therefore lifting a lot of big weights and putting on muscle for gaining weight and increasing size isn't really necessary.
    "snatch, clean and jerk, squat and dead lift" Are all very good exercises for increasing strength, power and gaining muscles but you will find yourself not being able to move as quick as you used to. You need to balance these exercises with speed work, core and stretching so that you do not find yourself getting easily side stepped and burnt by a pacy wing forward.

If you go to an athletic club and ask for a gym program similar to a 400 meter runner, this would be ideal.

A fellow Kerry man! But this, this is what I was looking for. I'm from Waterville so there's no real athletic club around me. Might just Google it. A 400m runner so would be most ideal?

Ha!
    You don't know what you're talking about!

Olympic lifting will have your running faster and jumping higher than ever before.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Refeek Maher

I don't think you read what I said properly. Olympic lifting is only helpful when done properly, especially when playing GAA. If you don't work on flexibility, core and speed work, then Olympic lifting will slow you down. It's how you combine the two that is important.

If you only work on Olympic lifting you will develop a lot of slow twitch muscle, (You can find out about slow twitch and fast twitch on google) but combining this with explosive exercises you will develop fast twitch muscle also. If you look on Youtube you will find a lot of good exercises "twice the speed tv" is a good channel to follow on youtube for some really handy tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I don't think you read what I said properly. Olympic lifting is only helpful when done properly, especially when playing GAA. If you don't work on flexibility, core and speed work, then Olympic lifting will slow you down. It's how you combine the two that is important.

If you only work on Olympic lifting you will develop a lot of slow twitch muscle, (You can find out about slow twitch and fast twitch on google) but combining this with explosive exercises you will develop fast twitch muscle also. If you look on Youtube you will find a lot of good exercises "twice the speed tv" is a good channel to follow on youtube for some really handy tips.

Olympic lifting variations are explosive movement types and recruit type II "fast twitch" muscle fibres not "slow twitch" type I fibres.

Hammar wrote: »
    Olympic lifting variations are explosive movement types and recruit type II "fast twitch" muscle fibres not "slow twitch" type I fibres.

This sort of information is usually on the first page of weightlifting for sport books

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

You haven't a bloody clue what you are on about so can you please stop spouting misinformation online.

Just popping my head in here to say, instead of targeting each other saying ye're wrong could ye actually, I dunno, answer the original question instead of bouncing off one another.

9bred4 wrote: »
    Just popping my head in here to say, instead of targeting each other saying ye're wrong could ye actually, I dunno, answer the original question instead of bouncing off one another.

How about you seek the help of, I dunno, a qualified S&C professional who can advise you based on your own personal abilities and circumstances? What you have been told on here is not only inaccurate, it's actually in direct opposition to the truth.

• Advertisement

How about you seek the help of, I dunno, a qualified S&C professional who can advise you based on your own personal abilities and circumstances? What you have been told on here is not only inaccurate, it's actually in direct opposition to the truth.

exactly.
    find a coach who can assess you, do up a program for your needs and then coach you in the various exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rebel norrie

What age should boys start doing S&C for gaa. Someone told me 13 or 14 but it is that too young. Thanks in advance.

What age should boys start doing S&C for gaa. Someone told me 13 or 14 but it is that too young. Thanks in advance.

boys could be doing bodyweight exercises at 13/14 eg push up, pull up, squat, lunge etc
    exercises should also be used to improve mobility - simple hurdle jumping and landing exercises, box jumps,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Refeek is misinformed in the main. Get to the health and fitness or strength sports section for well informed advice.

The compound lifts will build your strength and power. You will get a hell of a lot faster. Olympic lifting is highly beneficial but maybe better to get other basics in first. Box jumps etc

Get squatting with dumbells or kettle bells if you're having difficulty finding a good instructoror gym.

Cian O'Neill is one of the leading guys in the country. Do you know anyone involved with intercounty to see what Kerry are doing? He's def against long distance sprints.

ixus wrote: »
    Refeek is misinformed in the main. Get to the health and fitness or strength sports section for well informed advice.

The compound lifts will build your strength and power. You will get a hell of a lot faster. Olympic lifting is highly beneficial but maybe better to get other basics in first. Box jumps etc

Get squatting with dumbells or kettle bells if you're having difficulty finding a good instructoror gym.

Cian O'Neill is one of the leading guys in the country. Do you know anyone involved with intercounty to see what Kerry are doing? He's def against long distance sprints.

He's is not misinformed. He is plain wrong. Even your advice, which is not wrong, is just too general. There are no guarantees that compound lifts will make you faster. That is determined by many variables, not least the way in which they are programmed. Generalised advice here is not much use to anyone. Everybody has different needs based on their own personal characteristics.

He's is not misinformed. He is plain wrong. Even your advice, which is not wrong, is just too general. There are no guarantees that compound lifts will make you faster. That is determined by many variables, not least the way in which they are programmed. Generalised advice here is not much use to anyone. Everybody has different needs based on their own personal characteristics.

so, get a coach who knows what they are doing.
    gym programs off the internet are for monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

.....Even your advice, which is not wrong, is just too general. There are no guarantees that compound lifts will make you faster. That is determined by many variables, not least the way in which they are programmed. Generalised advice here is not much use to anyone. Everybody has different needs based on their own personal characteristics.

Agreed. It is general. I wouldn't have the education/background to offer specific programming, though I've trained under experienced & knowledgeable S&C coaches, amongst others.

To the OP. Have you done any weight or strength based training before? What are the facilities like in your locality? Do you know of anyone could provide you with the training required? What's the purpose of putting on the muscle? Lads like Ryan Mc Hugh & Jack Mc Caffrey are prime examples of small guys who have explosive speed. Are you looking to go in that direction or something else like a Noel O'Leary / Paul Galvin type player?

Providing more information helps.

ixus wrote: »
    Agreed. It is general. I wouldn't have the education/background to offer specific programming, though I've trained under experienced & knowledgeable S&C coaches, amongst others.

To the OP. Have you done any weight or strength based training before? What are the facilities like in your locality? Do you know of anyone could provide you with the training required? What's the purpose of putting on the muscle? Lads like Ryan Mc Hugh & Jack Mc Caffrey are prime examples of small guys who have explosive speed. Are you looking to go in that direction or something else like a Noel O'Leary / Paul Galvin type player?

Providing more information helps.

I have done weights before yes. There's a gym here with the basic machines and dumbbells. Explosive speed but hard as nails would be the ideal mix

Advertisement