Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pte William Regan - have I exhausted all avenues

• 01-06-2014 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

For years I was aware of a memorial plaque (or dead man's penny) in the possession of a family member. I recently received a photo of it and began trying to find out more.

Plaque is engraved "William Regan" - the brother of my great grandmother Helena (O') Regan.

I have medal card for 8981 Pte William Regan, Royal Irish Fusiliers, KIA. Memorial Record shows he died 26/08/1914. And CWGC has him on the La Ferte-Sous-Jourarre memorial.

I have an attestation for a William Regan from Cork for the King's Royal Rifle Corps - the date is unclear - it's 20 July 189?. I'm not sure this is him as I'm having problems tracking down a birth cert. His sister Helena was born in Rathkeale, Limerick in 1882.

From the War Diaries, I'm guessing he died at the Battle of Le Cateau.

His entry on The Index to War Deaths 1914-1921 makes reference to volume I.76, page 1.

So... after all that... Is that something else I can look at? Or do I pretty much have everything on William?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Sharon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Le Cateau is the probable engagement he was killed in. The battalion only landed in France 22/23 August and then straight into the thick of it. His early deployment suggests he was either already a regular or an ex-regular in the reserves. You could probably get more information about enlistment date from his number.

In the UK 1911 census, a William Regan from Charleville aged 24 is a Private in the 2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers stationed in India.

Might be worth checking with the Western Front Association re the pension index cards they have to see if there was a pension paid to any relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I knew Boards wouldn't let me down!

Many many thanks Johnny. I'll certainly give the WFA a try. I knew some records were lost in WWII so I wasn't sure if there was anything else to find.

I think I've a few credits left on Ancestry so I'll take a look at the UK Census.

Thanks again,

Sharon

re numbers, based on Silver War Badge records :

8978 John Lan(n)igan enlisted 16/09/1905

8986 James McConkey enlisted 2/10/1905

which would place William's enlistment in either September or October 1905.

Again thanks so much. It's great to "flesh" out William's background. I'll take a proper look at the weekend.

A nephew of William's joined the British Army and served (we think) in India during WWII. I suppose with William as a long time regular soldier, he was an example to his nephew.

Just an update...

Turns out 8981 Pte William Regan is not my William.

My William Regan was 6/438 Pte William Regan of the Royal Munster Fusiliers. Looks like he originally joined in October 1896. He re-enlisted on 09/09/1914. William survived the War and became 377659 and 703117 of the Labour Corp. He died on 20/06/1919 while in the Labour Corp - cause of death - overcome by fumes while working in a lime kiln in Rathkeale.

Still some more digging to do but I was delighted to find what I did.

S.

• Advertisement

have you managed to go through his service record on Ancestry. In particular, the confession re desertion from RMF and fraudulent enlistment in Irish Guards. Irish Guards records are held separately from the general records of WW1 records and worth writing to see what they have re him ( as William Moloney, no 10983)

he should have a Commonwealth War Graves Commission war grave if he died whilst a member of the BA (which he appears to have been at the time of his death). Might be something to throw to the In From the Cold Project.

have you managed to go through his service record on Ancestry. In particular, the confession re desertion from RMF and fraudulent enlistment in Irish Guards. Irish Guards records are held separately from the general records of WW1 records and worth writing to see what they have re him ( as William Moloney, no 10983)

I did search on Ancestry & Find My Past but found nothing. I hoped that although he was found out very quickly there would still be attestation papers. Thanks for the info re Irish Guards records.

can you see if you can open these

Name: William Regan
    Birth Date: abt 1878
    Age at Enlistment: 41
    Residence Place: Church Street, Rath Keale Co Limerick
    Document Year: 1919
    Regimental Number: 703117
    Regiment Name: Labour Corps
    Number of Images: 63
    Form Title: Short Service Attestation
    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?MS_AdvCB=1&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=2&gss=angs-c&gsfn=william&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=regan&gsln_x=XO&gskw=Labour&gskw_x=1&cpxt=0&uidh=1q4&cp=11&pcat=MIL_DRAFT&h=1648175&db=BritishArmyService&indiv=1&ml_rpos=1

Name: William Regan
    Birth Date: abt 1878
    Age at Enlistment: 41
    Residence Place: Church Street, Rathkeale Co Limerick
    Document Year: 1919
    Regimental Number: 703117
    Regiment Name: Labour Corps
    Number of Images: 25
    Form Title: Short Service Attestation

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?MS_AdvCB=1&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=2&gss=angs-c&gsfn=william&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=regan&gsln_x=XO&gskw=Labour&gskw_x=1&cpxt=0&uidh=1q4&cp=11&pcat=MIL_DRAFT&h=1483443&db=BritishArmyService&indiv=1&ml_rpos=2

Irish Guards archives address is on this blog page
    http://johnny-doyle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/irish-soldiers-ww1.html

Hi Johnny,

Many thanks for those links - I had found his Labour Corps records. I've printed so much stuff off but have to go through everything properly. I also found my great great grandfather's army records :) so I've plenty to keep me going.

I'll have a read of your blog over the weekend.

Many many thanks again,

Sharon

• Advertisement
Advertisement