Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any body got any news on steam for linux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

d31b0y wrote: »
    They would never charge for the steam client. That would be madness.

I don't mean charge , i mean not free , similar to the EA games were $0.00

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

d31b0y wrote: »
    I imagine any games that are available on Mac will be ported on to Linux. These are the games that they have flagged to be most popular.

Not to mention require feck all effort to then port to linux. If it runs on Mac I think it would be handy to port to Linux. I'd nearly help them out if I wanted the game badly enough.

They said they were porting the source engine though, right? I remember being very upset at the time that that engine wasn't OpenGL.

Hey...who knows....we may see a native UT3 client yet. :D (yes, I am *still* bitter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds (Head guy behind Linux)

Skip to 48.15 and watch untill 50.10 to see what he thinks of Nividias lack of driver/tech support!!

:)

https://github.com/search?q=optimus&type=Everything&repo=&langOverride=&start_value=1

its official
    Left for dead 2 will be coming through steam on linux
    Straight from value

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/steamd-penguins/

See also Omg Ubuntu

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

This is amazing news....hopefully some more games will be ported over, and more developers get involved. The Total War series would be fantastic

• Advertisement

well , i presume , they can only port over the openGL games, which are basically all the mac games on steam

i would say that other developers wont consider Linux (on steam) until there is an actual client.

bpb101 wrote: »
    well , i presume , they can only port over the openGL games, which are basically all the mac games on steam

Other games have been ported in the past, though obviously OGL games are much easier to port. I'd say the mac->linux port effort is relatively small.

Khannie wrote: »
    I'd say the mac->linux port effort is relatively small.

what i mean is that the games that are on mac are ussaly through OpenGL
    and its will be the ones that can be easly port that will

Are you suggesting that there will be a windows and linux games, no mac ports for current games?

what i mean is that the games that are on mac are ussaly through OpenGL
    and its will be the ones that can be easly port that will

Yep. Agreed. I remember for UT2004 though, they paid Ryan whatshisname to port it from D3D to OpenGL on Linux.
    Are you suggesting that there will be a windows and linux games, no mac ports for current games?

Can't quite understand the question. I was saying more or less what you were saying...that mac ports will be handier because they're OGL already.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭human 19

The official Valve Linux blog. Bookmark.

"This blog is where you can find the latest information from Valve about our Linux development efforts. Avoid the rumors and speculations that multiply on the Web. Instead, come to the source – a blog where people who are interested in Linux and open source game development can get the latest information on Valve’s efforts in this arena. In this initial post, we’ll introduce the team (and a bit of its history) and then give you a snapshot of what we’re currently doing."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭human 19

Ian Romanick of Intel's Open-Source Technology Center blogged about The zombies cometh.... In there, Romanick shares that he and his team were in Bellevue working with Valve's Linux team on Left 4 Dead 2. Romanick's key points from the blog post:

*It was the most successful work trip I've ever had. The guys at Valve were amazing to work with. They are sharp, driven, and have an aggressive plan.

*There are also a few places where we eat way, way too much CPU. A lot of these problems mirror issues that we've seen with other game engines (e.g., Unigine).These have been a lot easier to diagnose on L4D2 because we have access to their source code. Being able to take a profile that shows times in the driver and in the application makes a world of difference. Being able to tweak little things in the app (what happens if I do this...) is also helpful for diagnosing performance problems.

Blog from Ian Romanick + comments/responses

http://www.paranormal-entertainment.com/idr/blog/posts/2012-07-19T18:54:37Z-The_zombies_cometh/

human 19 wrote: »
    The official Valve Linux blog. Bookmark.

"This blog is where you can find the latest information from Valve about our Linux development efforts. Avoid the rumors and speculations that multiply on the Web. Instead, come to the source – a blog where people who are interested in Linux and open source game development can get the latest information on Valve’s efforts in this arena. In this initial post, we’ll introduce the team (and a bit of its history) and then give you a snapshot of what we’re currently doing."

I’ve already rss feeded it :D

Has anybody though why steam want to invest so much in linux and open source

Well apart from the fact that linux user want to game

Have a look at this , from the Casual Connect videogame conference in Seattle, USA, Newell said:
    “The big problem that is holding back Linux is games. People don’t realize how critical games are in driving consumer purchasing behavior.
    We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well. It’s a hedging strategy. I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space.
    I think we’ll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people.
    If that’s true, then it will be good to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Similar article on the BBC as well...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18996377
    Mr Newell, who worked for Microsoft for 13 years on Windows, said his company had embraced the open-source software Linux as a "hedging strategy" designed to offset some of the damage Windows 8 was likely to do.

"We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well," said Mr Newell.

"Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space."

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

I would say that has more to do with the new inbuilt Windows market place. Its a major rival to Steam, and could threaten to close off the platform from Valve. Although on the upside it could mean even better deals for us lay-folk.

havent seen any pictures of the steam client yet but hopefully before or on the 8th of august we might see something

in that serious sam post that i made above , what is the icon in the launcher, 2nd from the end? Never seen it before,

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭timbyr

rollie wrote: »
    I would say that has more to do with the new inbuilt Windows market place. Its a major rival to Steam, and could threaten to close off the platform from Valve. Although on the upside it could mean even better deals for us lay-folk.

Can't imagine it will have much more of an impact that the existing Games for Windows Live does.
    Granted it'll be available by default. But I am not so sure that Steam's regular customers will jump ship.
    I just hope I don't have to deal with platform exclusivity with Microsoft Games published titles. Not the biggest fan of the GWFL and how it handles game installations, DRM and DLC.

well i presume the businesses plan is that , IF people in the future want to move to linux they will still have steam.

Also are valve predicting a mass market move from widows to linux
    would be cheaper for OEM's by 20 -30 quid per machine
    That goes a long way when your selling thousands of PC's daily

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

windows 8 wont be such a "catastrophe" if ms simply implement a turn off metro feature or have it disabled by default on pc's ...

is bound to come in an update if the above valve premonitions come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

how about a steam group for those on boards who will be jumping into left 4 dead 2 when steam of linux arrives?

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    how about a steam group for those on boards who will be jumping into left 4 dead 2 when steam of linux arrives?

i havent got a clue what/how groups on boards.ie work :L

however i would very strongly encourage every ubuntu linux user to download steam and l4d2 as soon as it comes out
    even if, like myself, left for dead type games wouldnt be your favourite

Stuxnet wrote: »
    windows 8 wont be such a "catastrophe" if ms simply implement a turn off metro feature or have it disabled by default on pc's ...

is bound to come in an update if the above valve premonitions come

MS have afaik taken steps to remove the start that we all know and (well love seams a bit much so ill leave it there)
    was talking about it on the windows 8 metro thread

I cant see MS ditching the metro for pc user because they seam to have become so fascinated by there tablets and phones

One thing that apple have seamed to keep distant and interlinked(however ive never used a mac )

i havent got a clue what/how groups on boards.ie work :L

however i would very strongly encourage every ubuntu linux user to download steam and l4d2 as soon as it comes out
    even if, like myself, left for dead type games wouldnt be your favourite

Sorry I dont mean on boards. I mean a group on steam. You dont need the steam client to sign up, make groups and such. Just a web browser.

So we have all of us here on boards.ie who are going to play left4dead2 on linux when it comes out. I really cannot wait to try it out. And if all the valve games come.. well goodbye windows. The only other game apart from Counter Strike Source and GO beta I play is Skyrim and im trying to get through that before college starts.

Sorry I dont mean on boards. I mean a group on steam. You dont need the steam client to sign up, make groups and such. Just a web browser.

So we have all of us here on boards.ie who are going to play left4dead2 on linux when it comes out. I really cannot wait to try it out. And if all the valve games come.. well goodbye windows. The only other game apart from Counter Strike Source and GO beta I play is Skyrim and im trying to get through that before college starts.

definitely would be up for that,
    wouldn’t be surprised to see especially value games coming to linux. Especially maybe skyrim 3

definitely add me anyways to the group when it set it up ,
    ill give my name later , dont know if u want the name i play under or username or email?

EDIT: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE0OTQ
    Richard Stallman options on steam for linux - who ever he is

EDIT 2: googled him ,is that The FREE SOFTWARE nut , didnt he make a free software song?

OSI wrote: »
    Ah, Richard "If your only option to feed your kids is to write non-free software, you still shouldn't do it" Stallman. That man does more harm for the OSS/GNU/Linux community than good and needs his mouth surgically sealed.

Ireland eurovision 2013 entry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

MS is planning some application market/shop for windows. That could drive Steam out of business, so thay are looking for some alternative.

OSI wrote: »
    Ah, Richard "If your only option to feed your kids is to write non-free software, you still shouldn't do it" Stallman. That man does more harm for the OSS/GNU/Linux community than good and needs his mouth surgically sealed.

Very bold said.... GNU/Linux wouldn't exist without him as we know it now.

Stallman did alot to help kickstart the free software (OS's etc) back in the day but he really just seems to get more and more aggressive and closed minded as he ages. Watch ''Revolution OS''. A good movie on the linux and gnu relationship. I found stallman to be an interesting character but someone who goes all out to hate on everything that isnt free.

I did lose respect for him though when he went on a rant about how horrible of a person Steve Jobs was the day after he died. I mean jesus. Im no fanboy of Steve Jobs, to me all he was just an awesome public speaker and kept strict control on everything (While Tim Cook has been laid back) but I had respect for the presence he brought with himself. But for Stallman to horribly bitch about someone who died of cancer publicly really just shot him self down as a clear know it all dick

/rant

I will set up the steam group today. any idea's on a good name? ''Boards.ie Linux Steam group'' ?

• Advertisement

[..]
    I did lose respect for him though when he went on a rant about how horrible of a person Steve Jobs was the day after he died. I mean jesus. Im no fanboy of Steve Jobs, to me all he was just an awesome public speaker and kept strict control on everything (While Tim Cook has been laid back) but I had respect for the presence he brought with himself. But for Stallman to horribly bitch about someone who died of cancer publicly really just shot him self down as a clear know it all dick[..]

“I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong,”
    “I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

The other side wasn't friendly either.... :eek:

Advertisement