Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tv and media production course

• 05-02-2014 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Does anyone know about this course and would they recommend it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kelleherqueen

Hi!:P

Are you applying for this course for next September? I am in 2nd year of this course at IT Carlow. I'll go into as much detail as I can to give you a better idea.

The course varies between 3 and 4 years. You get your ordinary level degree after the third year and the 4th year (which is only new) gets you your honours degree instead. The 4th year is optional. If you apply for this course for next September you will not be obliged to study 4th year.

1st year is very introductory, and at times can be slow moving... At the start of the year, your class of 25-30 students are split into Group A and Group B. Each group will have divided classes for most areas but not all.

Your modules are:

- Principles of light and sound:
    Most people HATE this module. It is like physics. You learn about light and sound through reflection, refraction, dispersion, etc. There are formulas and things to learn off. You will (unfortunately) have to spend time on this module. There may be class tests throughout the year and you also will have to do christmas and summer written exams. There was only one person in my group who enjoyed this module. If you are into physics and are mathematically minded, you may like it! But if not, you may struggle like we all did. Please note however that it is VERY hard to fail this module. Submit your assignments and attend class, do your work and the lecturer Yvonne is sure to pass you. She's a very considerate and approachable lecturer!!

- TV studio production:
    One of your most important modules. In the IT there is a fantastic tv studio with a control room attached. Group A and Group B take turns (normally one each week) to produce a live piece of footage in the studio. It depends on what lecturer you have and also what group you are in on how the roles are assigned. The lecturer will either pick them for you or you can choose yourself. There are a lot of different roles in the studio - camera operator, floor manager, VT operator, vision mixer, lighting, sound, director and possibly assistant director, autocue operator and director of photography (depending on production). There are normally 2-3 camera operators assigned for the studio. Through first year you could make many different kinds of shows - drama pieces, talk shows, advertisements, kids shows, comedy sketches, etc. It usually is down to what lecturer you have (I think there are 3 you could have at the minute but there might be new lecturers in next year.) As for how the director is assigned, either the lecturer will assign a director of his own accord or class members can put themselves forward. The director comes up with the idea, writes the script, draws up storyboards, shot lists, etc (to be handed into the lecturer) and on the day of shooting, the director will direct their crew accordingly from the control room. He gives the floor manager instructions to then give to the talent/actors in the studio. There is also an ENORMOUS amount of work involved in pre production if you want your piece to turn out good. You have to make the set yourself. Normally there is a set designer assigned from the group and possibly a makeup/costume artist if applicable. You will need to source things like wallpaper, props like shelves for instance, etc (depends entirely on what you're making) There is NO post production for this module! You cannot edit! You record your piece AS LIVE and switch cameras AS LIVE, they don't allow you to go and edit things afterwards. The studio can be slow moving at times BUT it is highly rewarding. It is a stressful environment to an extent but if everyone pulls together you can make some great shows!

- Digital imaging:
    This is a very useful class, in it you will go through a few areas, digital photography, film editing and film making. We did photography for the whole first semester and personally I loved it. You can rent out cameras from the college and you go off and take your pictures under a certain theme, write a detailed report and give a presentation to the class on your photos. You will also be sent out weekly with cameras to take pictures and learn exactly how to use the cameras. After the first semester you get into film editing and you are introduced to Final cut pro. You are taught the keypad shortcuts, effects, transitions, etc and if you've any questions at all just ask. The assignments do vary year to year I'm sure but at the end of 1st year we made a short film in groups. Again, you can rent out equipment to do so.

- Electronic music
    You only do this module for the first semester. You use final cut pro to make slideshows on different themes. It generally involves cutting together different images and music along with text to make a slideshow. I wouldn't say this is a challenging module if you want average marks -- however if you want good marks you'll have to put the work in to make it visually perfect. However electronic music is really quite an introductory module to other modules you'll study in 2nd year. The title of this module has since been changed to sound design.

- New media technology
    New media technology replaces electronic music/sound design for your second semester. This is a MUCH MORE DIFFICULT module. It is very theoretical and involves learning about coding, bits, bytes, gigabytes, unicode, ascii etc. It is all about the theory behind technology. There is a lot of class time assigned to this module from what I recall. The lecturer you have (Brian) will help the students in whatever way he can IF they attend class and show a real interest. If not he will not be interested in helping you pass. This module is one that many students find to be difficult although some of it can be interesting. Don't worry though, it's only for one semester and you'll get through it!

- Movie appreciation and scriptwriting
    Movie appreciation and scriptwriting are both taught separately. Movie appreciation was not a module I particularly enjoyed however a lot of my classmates did. You essentially watch films (chosen by your lecturer) and review/critic them through assignments and essays. The films you watch are generally cowboy films and stuff like that which was not my cup of tea.
    As for scriptwriting, you have a long time ( a few months ) to produce a finished script. There will be deadlines for first draft, second draft and final draft. You'll have classes on how to write scripts properly and be introduced to Celtx. Depending on what lecturer you have you may also be required to produce a moodboard, storyboards and/or shot lists in addition to your finished script.

I am more than halfway through my second year of this course at the minute. As the years go on you basically study similar areas (BAR NEW MEDIA TECHNOLOGY AND SOUND DESIGN) on a more advanced level. Also in second year you are introduced to web technology.

I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who wants to work in the media because it is broad enough in what it offers. You do studio work, photography, film editing, pre production, screenwriting and so on. Therefore you get trained in many areas before you graduate and you could enter a lot of different areas of media.

However I will warn you that this can become sort of like a D.I.Y course ( at times ). This doesn't really apply to first year of the course but it does in second year. Class time becomes a work-on-your-projects period from many lecturers. You will also have to spend a lot of time OUTSIDE OF CLASS TIME doing projects. So be prepared to put the work in. We don't have as many classes in a week as other courses probably because of the fact we have to spend so much extra time on project work.

Also, you will absolutely NEED to be a TEAM PLAYER for this course to work for you! Most of your projects are completed in GROUPS therefore if you cannot work in a group and would rather work alone, then I would advise you against this course. Not only this course but the industry itself.

The lecturers are mostly lovely, very helpful and will stop and chat to you if they see you anywhere. You can speak to them about anything. And they don't mind showing you the same thing a million times. They'll work with you one on one if you require it.

Also be prepared to SPEND MONEY on this course for your studio projects! You will need to invest money in getting props and wallpaper together if you want a serious set. No one will take your live studio pieces seriously after graduation if you have no wallpaper and no proper props. You have to make it look real otherwise no actor, no camera and no director will save you.

I won't go into as much detail with second year at the minute, but if you want to know more (anything at all) just write to me here I'll answer anything you need to know!

Ash:P

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kelleherqueen

* I forgot to say, you also DO NOT study PRINCIPLES OF LIGHT AND SOUND after 1st year!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 VEILED MOON

Thanks for the above reply and taking the time to give such a detailed account of same. Sounds like it is a good course.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Mandzhalas

i am interested in studying this course in 2015 as a mature student.
    After graduation, what sort of of jobs can you work in?
    What are current and future jobs situation in industry? Average pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭arcius

Would be interesting to know what they are looking for when you attend an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 MacLO

Hoping someone will see this haha But does anyone know if they actually only take on 15 people for this course? Seems like a very small number of students! Hoping to do this course in September but I'm worried because I don't know how popular this course is!

Hoping someone will see this haha But does anyone know if they actually only take on 15 people for this course? Seems like a very small number of students! Hoping to do this course in September but I'm worried because I don't know how popular this course is! And also do you have to do an interview even if you are applying through the CAO? I'm after doing a PLC and got more then I need for this course which is always good but when it comes to interviews I'm not so good haha

MacLO wrote: »
    Hoping someone will see this haha But does anyone know if they actually only take on 15 people for this course? Seems like a very small number of students! Hoping to do this course in September but I'm worried because I don't know how popular this course is! And also do you have to do an interview even if you are applying through the CAO? I'm after doing a PLC and got more then I need for this course which is always good but when it comes to interviews I'm not so good haha

Hi, I ll be starting my second year in september if I wont change my mind :-) if you are applying as a mature student then yes, you will probably have to attend interview. Otherwise is just points.
    There are two groups. Each group has around 15 people in them.

arcius wrote: »
    Hi, I ll be starting my second year in september if I wont change my mind :-) if you are applying as a mature student then yes, you will probably have to attend interview. Otherwise is just points.
    There are two groups. Each group has around 15 people in them.

How are you finding the course? It looks like a fun course but I'm wondering if there are many jobs in this area for after the four years are complete! Plus thanks for getting in contact with me didn't think anyone would get back to me about it haha :D

MacLO wrote: »
    How are you finding the course? It looks like a fun course but I'm wondering if there are many jobs in this area for after the four years are complete! Plus thanks for getting in contact with me didn't think anyone would get back to me about it haha :D

How did you get on? Sorry, missed your post. Did you go to interview? Jobs... I think if you re good in something then yes, you will find a job. Or will work as self employed.

• Advertisement

arcius wrote: »
    How did you get on? Sorry, missed your post. Did you go to interview? Jobs... I think if you re good in something then yes, you will find a job. Or will work as self employed.

No, I didn't need to do the interview because I got it through the CAO! I accepted the course anyway and I'm starting on the 6th of September so hoping for the best now! Excited to get started :)

Advertisement