Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crap job, what to do

• 19-11-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Firstly, I know I shouldn't complain as I am lucky enough to have a job, but it has to be done for my sanity.

I work in fast food. Not what I want, but necessary when I can't get anything else.

The managers there treat everyone like incompetent children, we are expected to do the jobs of three people alone. I have been working here for almost three months and over ten people have left since then ( some on not great terms)

I hate it but need the money. It is so demeaning and if you stand up for yourself at all, you're in the wrong. If you are right, you're in the wrong. If you serve a customer correctly and they complain about something their own fault, you're in the wrong.

I don't mind customer service at all, but when your manager fails to back you up and help you, it is a disaster. I have found 50% of the managers unhelpful and with a bad attitude, but get on with it for the sake of working because there's nothing I can do about it.

I'm not a bad worker, not lazy, always stay extra hours or come in when they're busy, yet they treat me like I am useless and can do nothing.

I come home depressed everyday but can't quit.

Will it reflect really badly on me if I apply for other jobs in the meantime? I have no intention of staying in this job infinitely and only am here to save money for the course I want to do.

I would love some advice, and please do not just say suck it up, you are lucky. Although that is true, it doesn't justify being treated like dirt daily.

It is so cliquey, if one manager makes a smart remark and I say it is unfair, all their friends that work there decide they hate me and subsequently treat me like crap, too.
    T.I.A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

No, it won't reflect badly on you at all if you apply for jobs while you are there. That is what everyone does. Apply for better jobs while they are already in jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

My advice .. Go ahead.. apply for a job where you'll be valued as you sound conscientious to me. The fact that 10 or more people have left says it all really. Just don't burn your bridges and make sure you're discreet and ultra careful about applying for a new position as you don't want to end up jobless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Firstly, I know I shouldn't complain as I am lucky enough to have a job, but it has to be done for my sanity.

I work in fast food. Not what I want, but necessary when I can't get anything else.

The managers there treat everyone like incompetent children, we are expected to do the jobs of three people alone. I have been working here for almost three months and over ten people have left since then ( some on not great terms)

I hate it but need the money. It is so demeaning and if you stand up for yourself at all, you're in the wrong. If you are right, you're in the wrong. If you serve a customer correctly and they complain about something their own fault, you're in the wrong.

I don't mind customer service at all, but when your manager fails to back you up and help you, it is a disaster. I have found 50% of the managers unhelpful and with a bad attitude, but get on with it for the sake of working because there's nothing I can do about it.

I'm not a bad worker, not lazy, always stay extra hours or come in when they're busy, yet they treat me like I am useless and can do nothing.

I come home depressed everyday but can't quit.

Will it reflect really badly on me if I apply for other jobs in the meantime? I have no intention of staying in this job infinitely and only am here to save money for the course I want to do.

I would love some advice, and please do not just say suck it up, you are lucky. Although that is true, it doesn't justify being treated like dirt daily.

It is so cliquey, if one manager makes a smart remark and I say it is unfair, all their friends that work there decide they hate me and subsequently treat me like crap, too.
    T.I.A.

Well done you for sticking it out...
    Its a sad reflection on managers but some are just crap, some because theyre asshooles and some because their managers are beating down on them too...

Make yourself a plan..
    What would you like to be working at??
    Check and see what is stopping you applying for or getting your ideal job..

If you need a bit of training look around and see if there are any courses that you might get cheap to make a start...
    Depending on the size but does your current employer offer any developent opportunities? Remember managment training is universal and will probably be recognised in other industries so it might be worth checking..

If you have a goal in mind and make little progress steps towards it then life in a crap job can be tolerable as its a means to an end..

Maybe even some help with your CV might make you more successful at getting other positions...

I know its an old saying but being in a job will make getting another job easier, I interviewed for years and definitely people who are currently employed seem to do better interviews and have beter experience to draw on when questioned..

Make your time there count as working towards something better... if your just continuing and no end in sight then it will be hard to go on at it..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I've worked in similar environment and I think the thread title says it all. The best you can do now is look for something new and when the chance arises, take a new role. I know myself, if I were to remain in a soul destroying job, I'd lose my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all your replies, first of all.

I know this sounds silly, but the owner is very well known in the town and is known and respected my most if not all business owners around. I feel it would make me look bad by applying to somewhere and then it got back to them, or for example if they ask why I am leaving so soon I can't exactly tell the truth so what am I meant to say?

I am treated like I am stupid every day and I know I am not, if I was truly so bad they would not call me into do extra work/extra shifts/ ask me to take care of certain tasks that others can't. Yet I am treated like crap, even by coworkers who aren't managers/just on the same level as me, because they are good friends with a manager etc, it makes them think they can act as one just because I am new. It is a very cliquey place, and I'm just not that kind of person. Everyone has either a family member/best friend working there and I feel like the odd one out sometimes.

I am probably moaning too much for my own good, but I am a sensitive person anyway with some things, and I feel like everyone hates me, even though I havent done anything to make it that way.

I am almost afraid of applying for other jobs, I know it sounds stupid but I just won't know what to say in an interview and if I can't get the day off for it, they will find out and it will be awkward. I know it's probably common but I am not very good with this stuff at all.

• Advertisement

Ok I sent out some CVs this evening and got a reply within a half hour for an interview from a cafe close to home, would you go if you were me?

My main reason for being so scared is if they ask why I am leaving so soon, I can't tell the truth because it will look bad and I can't really find anything else to say.

I hate being treated like dirt everyday, and everyone knows fast food is slave labour, it isn't any myth, I went into it thinking it can't be as bad as people say but it is :)

Hi op

Definitely go for the interview in the café. You could say the reason you wish to move jobs is
    a) it's closer to home for you and therefore handier
    b) you feel that the fast food business is not for you and that you would like to work somewhere with a more personal atmosphere e.g the café.

You are entitled to apply for other jobs and other employers do not divulge who applies for jobs with them. They are all business people and this is normal business practice.

Get out of your current job before your confidence is gone - best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Well, yes, absolutely. Off the top of my head a good reason for moving from a fast food restaurant to a café is that the late shifts that you get in fast food restaurants that you don't normally get in cafés (ie - up until the pubs close) don't suit you anymore or if it's a café with a barista set up that you really want to get that sort of experience etc.

Thanks guys, your replies really helped this morning!

Went for the interview and it turned out they only interviewed me in case they needed an extra person in the near future..

Slightly depressed, but what can you do at least I tried. :(

Thanks again for all your replies..

You never know, it might still lead to something. At least you have gotten one interview under your belt now and it will give you the confidence to go for more. Prepare all answers to possible questions such as "why do you want to leave xxx" beforehand and you will be fine. Good luck with the job search

• Advertisement
Advertisement