Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sat Nav for Dublin City & Ireland..

• 11-05-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks! I have been given a loan of a 5 year old Garmin nuvi sat nav for Monday as I will be driving to various spots in and around the city.

It has not been updated in 5 years so can anyone tell me if there have been changes made to Dublins streets? New one way systems etc? Or national roads in general? Have to go to a few spots in Dublin, Meath and onto Dingle then west Cork. I don't particularly want to fork out for the online update. Basically will a 5 year old sat nav still be of use?

Thanks for help!

(Not sure if this is under the right topic)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

download Navfree app if you have a smartphone. great app and its free. has dug me out a hole many times

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Don't have a smartphone. But thanks!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What are you going to do bring a notepad with you with a list of new streets/one way systems just incase? :confused:

This is a bizarre thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Depending on your Garmin you can load it with OSM maps http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

Traffic management changes all the time. What is bizarre about asking if Dublin has changed in anyway over the last 5 years? It is to do with a 5 year old sat nav that has not been updated. Is it worth bringing? Will it be of assistance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bring it with.you. if you hit a traffic change just go another way. The gps will automatically recalculate the route.

Thanks Biko. I haven't used sat navs before. Really just need it for Dublin as the homing pigeon in the brain can find it's way around the country :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I think your probably better off doing a Google maps before hand and memorising the route + bringing a printout.

If the Satnav goes pete tong you will be totally lost as you have been relying on the thing all along and not paying attention to where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I think your probably better off doing a Google maps before hand and memorising the route + bringing a printout.

If the Satnav goes pete tong you will be totally lost as you have been relying on the thing all along and not paying attention to where you are.

This.

If I ever go anywhere unfamiliar I always have a quick glance at the route on Google Maps and the alternative 'go arounds' Alot of Dublin is left turn only (end of Dawson St. being the big one) for buses and taxi's, and if you don't have the foggiest you can quickly find yourself in a one way circulation getting further away from your destination. Also, because your in Dublin, best of luck pulling in to take out a map.

Also a 5 year old GPS may struggle to keep a decent lock in the city. I really would recommend you plan your route if you are unfamiliar. Google StreetView is a god send even if you memorise the turns / landmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Chippy01

I don't think Dublin has changed that much in 5 years, so I reckon you could be good to go.
    Yes, routes do change from time to time, some new roads won't be on the GPS's maps, but even new roads will eventually meet up with the old road so you won't get that lost, and don't forget that a sudden road closure would make the most up to date GPS's 'out of date'.
    If you turn wrong, the GPS will just reroute you.
    I bought my GPS in 2005, got it updated in 2008, and I still use it as it is - 2008 vintage!
    Carry a paper map in the car as well, check Google Maps before you go, and if all goes pear-shaped revert to the old fashioned way of asking someone for directions - garages/petrol stations are usually good for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

ironclaw wrote: »
    This.

If I ever go anywhere unfamiliar I always have a quick glance at the route on Google Maps and the alternative 'go arounds' Alot of Dublin is left turn only (end of Dawson St. being the big one) for buses and taxi's, and if you don't have the foggiest you can quickly find yourself in a one way circulation getting further away from your destination. Also, because your in Dublin, best of luck pulling in to take out a map.

Also a 5 year old GPS may struggle to keep a decent lock in the city. I really would recommend you plan your route if you are unfamiliar. Google StreetView is a god send even if you memorise the turns / landmarks.

The bottom of Dawson st is a weird one. Sign says no left turn but a sign 50 m back says no left turn during certain times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Scortho wrote: »
    The bottom of Dawson st is a weird one. Sign says no left turn but a sign 50 m back says no left turn during certain times.

Its a nightmare and extremely badly sign posted. Its during certain times but in all their wisdom its in size 6 font about 20m before the turn, on what is a very busy street to start with.

Its like signage tolls in Ireland, why are the prices 500m out from the toll? Whats wrong with putting them 5km out from the toll? Its assumed by local authorities we know every road clause and condition for the likes of tolls and times of bus only zones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

ironclaw wrote: »
    Its a nightmare and extremely badly sign posted. Its during certain times but in all their wisdom its in size 6 font about 20m before the turn, on what is a very busy street to start with.

Its like signage tolls in Ireland, why are the prices 500m out from the toll? Whats wrong with putting them 5km out from the toll? Its assumed by local authorities we know every road clause and condition for the likes of tolls and times of bus only zones.

I only noticed it when I was waiting for a bus one day. The one at pearse st. Garda station is 24 hours but the one at Dawson st is the morning only I think. Saves going all around trinity to get onto the quays.

Advertisement