Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Biarrtiz Olympique - RDS 27/04/13, 14:30 SS1 (Print your tickets!!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Ian Madigan
    Putting Madigan at 15 (where he was fairly limited, and at times, fairly poor this year) just to get him into the starting 15 would be crazy, as would dropping Ferg and putting RK at 11.

You're essentially dropping MCF, one of our best performing backs, to shoehorn in a 10 at 15!

RK should start FB and MCF should start on the wing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Madworld wrote: »
    Do you believe the difference between Sexton and Madigan is so great that we would loose with him at 10?

No, but it was a general comment.

I think Sexton is still the better player and by a reasonable margin. Madigan will definitely start some of these games as Sexton won't play 5 big games in a row, but I don't think Leinster should be playing a loose game against Biarritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,744 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ian Madigan
    Madworld wrote: »
    Do you believe the difference between Sexton and Madigan is so great that we would loose with him at 10?

On paper we are stronger 1-15 than Biarritz. Starting Madigan might decrease the overall quality of the fifteen marginally, but surely it's better for him to get the experience on the big stage now, than in a Heineken Cup knockout match against the likes of Clermont or Saracens.

The difference between starting Sexton and Madigan is huge IMO. The way Jonny brings in those around him and just pulls the strings is a joy to watch. Those outside him must love playing with him. They just need to run lines off him and he'll put them into space. Madigan is an individual talent who still has a lot to learn about controlling a game and those around him.

That said I don't think we can start Sexton in 5 games in a row (and we have to make that our aim) so there will be some rotation between the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ian Madigan
    If Leinster are in both the Amlin and Rabo finals, then it's possible that they'll be a bit more rotation than we've seen in previous seasons between Heineken/Rabo finals. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think both competitions would be equal in terms of priority, the players must be sick of messing up the Rabo.

I'd rather win the Rabo personally, but given the Amlin is a European trophy and gets Connacht into the HEC I imagine there will be a lot of pressure to win that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'd love to see Madigan and Sexton play together as two out halves , like the old All Blacks used to use , and then BOD as accompaning center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Ian Madigan
    Any combo of Madigan/Sexton with one coming on at 60 minutes would be grand. I actually don't know who to pick. I don't think it hugely matters

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭little173

molloyjh wrote: »
    The difference between starting Sexton and Madigan is huge IMO. The way Jonny brings in those around him and just pulls the strings is a joy to watch. Those outside him must love playing with him. They just need to run lines off him and he'll put them into space. Madigan is an individual talent who still has a lot to learn about controlling a game and those around him.

That said I don't think we can start Sexton in 5 games in a row (and we have to make that our aim) so there will be some rotation between the 2.

I agree - Sexton is a class act and has performed at the very highest level for some time, Madigan has got game and he will hopefully develop that control needed at the test level over the next year and his decision making will improve which is the key to the 10 position when you have all the requiste skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Grimebox wrote: »
    Any combo of Madigan/Sexton with one coming on at 60 minutes would be grand. I actually don't know who to pick. I don't think it hugely matters

Its an excellent problem for Joe and Leinster to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Ian Madigan
    If that is the Biarritz team, are the likes of August, Lauret, Thion, Barcella, Pereyonlongue all injured?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Ian Madigan
    If that is the Biarritz team, are the likes of August, Lauret, Thion, Barcella, Pereyonlongue all injured?

Lauret is only coming back from injury so might be on the bench, Barcella and Thion are injured alright, not sure what the craic is with August or Peyrelongue.

Edit; August, Peyrelongue and Lauret all played last week against Bordeaux so could well be in contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/mobile/news/9681.php

Leinster supporters will get a chance to honour several players from Ireland's Six Nations and Grand Slam winning side who will display the Women's Six Nations trophy at half-time of Saturday's Amlin Challenge Cup Semi-Final against Biarritz...
    Captain Fiona Coghlan will be joined by her Leinster and Ireland team mates, Ailis Egan, Marie Louise Reilly, Sharon Lynch and Nora Stapleton and Ireland Senior Women's coach Philip Doyle at the RDS on Saturday - so please be sure to give the Leinster stars a big cheer when they take to the field!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Killser

Ian Madigan
    Johnny or Mads???? Great problem to have to figure out. Feel sorry for Joe, he has to do this for the rest of the season - and then gets to do it all over again next season, when he has a green tracksuit on!

Got to be Johnny for me - best player needed in your biggest games! Mads will be 'The Man' next season, and will start all the big games!

Big few weeks, could be a great send off for Joe and the rest.

C'MON Leinster

Did SOB get a knock or just have a handy day, seems to be taking it very handy in training

http://inpho.ie/assignment/Leinster-Rugby-Squad-Training-Tuesday/IDkqPXmTr2CNO-9OTY9E2g..a?ts=rg2-nGZa3fBC6BvWZO4QFQ..a

KmcL
    SJ
    JH
    ?

Ian Madigan
    With a couple of Lions coaches in attendance, part of me wishes Madigan gets the nod to maybe boost his chances ahead of next week's announcement.

With a couple of Lions coaches in attendance, part of me wishes Madigan gets the nod to maybe boost his chances ahead of next week's announcement.

I heard he is just gonna go and pretend to be Owen Farrell

Problem? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Has anyone else bought extra tickets (not your seat from your STH account) for this? Have they arrived yet?

.ak wrote: »
    Has anyone else bought extra tickets (not your seat from your STH account) for this? Have they arrived yet?

I did, but it defaults to the Ticketfast method of distribution and that's what I used.

• Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

.ak wrote: »
    I have no ST and my ticket arrived at the start of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Fedex gave me free tickets, sound lads

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Never mind, arrived this morning... Can't wait now, love European rugby weekends :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ian Madigan
    Easy to forget just how good Biarritz are. They don't really have the squad to ever challenge in the Top 14 but they have a seriously tough team on paper for knockout rugby.

They're going to try and force a game based on set pieces and tight play. Normally when a side tries to pick a side based on the tight you can kick them around the field but Biarritz love playing against that style of rugby. More kicking also means more set pieces so if they get the upper hand there they can take the kicking game away from us somewhat.

I think our approach should be based on distributing our attack as much as possible. Whether they start with Baby or HB they will be suspect in defense outside of midfield so if we can get quick ball we should move it there and try and keep shifting them all over the field as wide as we can. The problem there is in guaranteeing quick ball, but it is possible if we can keep moving them wide and keep them stretching to get to breakdowns.

If we get in a situation though where we're waiting on the ball at any breakdown then Boss or Sexton should kick the ball away. No need to get ourselves into a scrap for possession anywhere. We should be able to defend well against these guys, particularly as we should be more than capable of slowing them down enough to prevent them getting quick ball wide themselves.

So with that in mind my team would be:

Healy, Cronin, Ross, Cullen, Roux, McLoughlin, SOB, Heaslip; Boss, Sexton, Nacewa, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, McFadden, Kearney

Strauss, McGrath, Hagan, Toner, Jennings, Cooney, Madigan, O'Malley

• Registered Users Posts: 24,744 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ian Madigan
    Easy to forget just how good Biarritz are. They don't really have the squad to ever challenge in the Top 14 but they have a seriously tough team on paper for knockout rugby.

They're going to try and force a game based on set pieces and tight play. Normally when a side tries to pick a side based on the tight you can kick them around the field but Biarritz love playing against that style of rugby. More kicking also means more set pieces so if they get the upper hand there they can take the kicking game away from us somewhat.

I think our approach should be based on distributing our attack as much as possible. Whether they start with Baby or HB they will be suspect in defense outside of midfield so if we can get quick ball we should move it there and try and keep shifting them all over the field as wide as we can. The problem there is in guaranteeing quick ball, but it is possible if we can keep moving them wide and keep them stretching to get to breakdowns.

If we get in a situation though where we're waiting on the ball at any breakdown then Boss or Sexton should kick the ball away. No need to get ourselves into a scrap for possession anywhere. We should be able to defend well against these guys, particularly as we should be more than capable of slowing them down enough to prevent them getting quick ball wide themselves.

So with that in mind my team would be:

Healy, Cronin, Ross, Cullen, Roux, McLoughlin, SOB, Heaslip; Boss, Sexton, Nacewa, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, McFadden, Kearney

Strauss, McGrath, Hagan, Toner, Jennings, Cooney, Madigan, O'Malley

O'Malley? What's the logic there? That gives us no cover in the back 3. McFadden provides centre cover as-is so surely we need someone like Conway in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ian Madigan
    molloyjh wrote: »
    O'Malley? What's the logic there? That gives us no cover in the back 3. McFadden provides centre cover as-is so surely we need someone like Conway in there?

Actually back 3 is covered there.

13 will be vital. The wings not really as much. But yeah Conway could be good either.

Ian Madigan
    Paddy Power have installed Leinster as ten-point favourites, can't see there being that much between the teams...

• Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What are the good pubs around the ground for post-match Munster watching?

Ian Madigan
    awec wrote: »
    What are the good pubs around the ground for post-match Munster watching?

Searsons on Baggot Street is like the unofficial Munster HQ in Dublin, or it used to be anyway.

The easy option post-match is Paddy Cullen's as it's right beside the RDS, but it is to be avoided because the screen set-up is atrocious.

If you're shouting for Clermont, head for Kiely's...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ian Madigan
    If you're looking for somewhere very close to the ground, Paddy Cullen's, Slattery's, Beggars Bush and Horse Show House will all be busy and have the game on. For a bit more comfort in a nicer setting, I'd go the extra 300m up the road to the Schoolhouse on Morehampton Road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

When is the team announced?

Will miss the game because I've a match myself. Obviously the Munster junior rugby board care little for the Lunster supporters playing across the province!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement