Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Armed Police in Ireland

12346»

Comments

• IRLConor wrote: »

To be honest though, the purchase price of the guns alone will probably keep the topic off the table for years to come.

Sure the Government are lashing out money at the moment. Never a better time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

IRLConor wrote: »
    Shooting a pistol properly takes a ton of training (and I'm not even including the shoot/no shoot and tactical bits I have no knowledge about). Somehow I can't see budget being allocated to afford Gardai the ability to keep up to date.

It's not that hard. You can keep the budget down by running a preliminary course - root out people who are unsuited to firearms, who struggle with the physical aspect of controlling a firearm, or who learn the basics too slow. That way, Gardai who can learn effectively and quickly will be the ones who time and money is spent on, not 'course repeaters' who ended up going through an endless cycle of training-testing-failing.
    Then when someone gets hurt who shouldn't be, it'll be the member who takes the shot that gets the blame even if he/she made the best decision possible in the circumstances.

Well, that's true. We get the government (and from them, the proxy) the judiciary and senior management we deserve. Those of us who stood by and watched the mouthy minority leftwing types tear apart our justice system didn't speak up in time. I wouldn't blame a Garda for not wanting to take up firearms, given the backlash they'd receive for using it.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

discus wrote: »
    It's not that hard.

I dunno. I shoot roughly 10,000 rounds a year, almost all through rifles but some pistol and shotgun too. I've been coaching for about 14 years too. I'm not competitive with a pistol, but I'm not a terrible shot either. I would be very sceptical of anyone claiming to be a safe pistol shooter (in a policing sense) unless they were training every month at the very least. I doubt AGS would be willing or able to spend money on monthly range time for much more than a very small fraction of the force.

Can you train people to hit what they're shooting at? Sure, that's easy enough. Can you train them to not hit what they shouldn't shoot? That's a lot harder. There's a reason that the regs for civilian range construction specify a much larger cone of fire for pistol shooting than for rifle shooting and those regulations pre-suppose a relaxed, well-lit and controlled environment. Again, I'm only talking about the mechanics of shooting not the tactical bits that are outside of my area of knowledge although I can't imagine real world situations make people more accurate!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Rebelkid

Recent pics of ERU

12498421_1105163956195556_899076321_n.jpg?oh=ba8e2ece49ddec0b0fad63fb5d495093&oe=56D0C212

innocent-dublin-residents-look-on-as-the-eru-takes-to-the-streets-of-dublin-pic-niall-carson-pa-wire

12714115_1097875810257704_2015165069_n.jpg?oh=28636381514b72a81b37cec3ab9b766a&oe=56D0DB0E

2016-02-11_new_16790653_I1.JPG

gd005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I know it's difficult to tell under a balaclava, but from what I can see, the lad at the back of the Range Rover looks to be some age. Are there age limits for the ERU?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I know it's difficult to tell under a balaclava, but from what I can see, the lad at the back of the Range Rover looks to be some age. Are there age limits for the ERU?

I'd put him at 41.

I'm 21 and pretty athletic but there are lads in their 40's who would run rings around me

D Trent wrote: »
    I'd put him at 41.

I'm 21 and pretty athletic but there are lads in their 40's who would run rings around me

I guarantee you he'd run miles upon miles :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭HTCJoeSoap

EireGun wrote: »
    Images of the Garda Síochána Special Detective Unit (SDU) from the media...

SDU_Garda_1.jpg
    The Garda Special Detective Unit is a section of the national Garda Crime & Security Branch (CSB), which also houses the National Surveillance Unit (NSU) and Emergency Response Unit (ERU)

I have a question about these types of windcheater jackets that Detectives wear? Do they have a specific name or are just called plainclothes windcheaters or what do you call them or refer to them as? Just curious.

• HTCJoeSoap wrote: »
    I have a question about these types of windcheater jackets that Detectives wear? Do they have a specific name or are just called plainclothes windcheaters or what do you call them or refer to them as? Just curious.

Raid jackets.

ERU on recent raids in Dublin

01_23222713_b0bc3a_2706134a.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement