Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Im pretty sure UPC have an unlimited download deal. I think this is what im on at the moment (25meg + unlimited), could be wrong though. :rolleyes:
    They capped me and then wouldnt uncap untill we payed 140 a month so we had to go cheaper :(

Even though im only ten hours in and its hard as balls this is probably my favourite game of all time.

I just wished my internet worked for more than 15 minutes at a time, its so much easier getting messages and seeing where other people f**ked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I just wished my internet worked for more than 15 minutes at a time, its so much easier getting messages and seeing where other people f**ked up.
    The Zyxel router Eircom are peddling now is terrible for gaming. I had a perfect connection then changed over to the Zyxel, did all the settings/configuration and it was still useless. Have switched back to my old router now.

I loved this game... then I got to Blight town :mad: Was it as choppy for everyone else?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm told to go there next as the Hydra is kicking my ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Supposedly, the crazy terrain in Blighttown makes it hard to map AI paths, which causes the drop in frame-rate (I understand none of this jargon), but that's the reason.

I didn't like Blighttown initially, I had completed just about everywhere else that was possible before going to there. For a similar reason I still haven't finished Demon's Souls due to the Valley Of Defilement 2. I'd rather Blighttown over that though. Once you know you're way around it it's not so bad.

Yeah i passed it and got to the boss and said shag this im getting some humanity to help fight the poison/make me stronger and some NPC attacked me like a multiplayer person, she was easy enough and then i could summoner her to help with the boss which I just hung back and let her take it down :D

onwards and upwards with me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

The worst thing about Blighttown is the framerate. Although it can be tough on the first playthrough (as i suppose the whole game is :P)

But the Valley of Defilement in Demons Souls is so much worse! Its pretty much the same thing. Poison Swamp + Rickety shanty town except the swamp has next to no island on it so you gonna be poisoned in it and attacked by super faster moving Black Phantom NPCs. I dunno if there is an item in Demons like Rusted Ring though. Or maybe a spell.

Getting sidetracked abit there. Yeah Blighttown sucks. I skip it on all my playthroughs unless i want the Iaito. Otherwise there is really no point in not taking the shortcut. If you go in there with anti-toxic moss you will be grand though.

Ran out of moss :o now im in the great hollow ran out of curse stones :mad:

I restarted as a pyromancer, using fire attacks came up so many times on the wiki and I was dying so much, im after getting to deepwood garden without dying once... but pride does come before a fall so i'll say no more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

Im pretty sure UPC have an unlimited download deal. I think this is what im on at the moment (25meg + unlimited), could be wrong though. :rolleyes:

they do have a fair usage policy, but I believe it got upped recently in the last broadband speed increase to a minimum of 500GB a month

blighttown - yea, truly woeful framerate when you're down in the water heading from the back (leeches) towards Quelaggs

I got similar, but not quite as bad, crossing the bridge to new londo ruins irrc (xbox360)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Can people in the standard game attack you in ng+?

I got back-stabbed in the forest and it did less damage than 1 strike from a hollow warrior.
    I'm nearly sure they were using the drake sword :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

derfderf wrote: »
    Can people in the standard game attack you in ng+?

I got back-stabbed in the forest and it did less damage than 1 strike from a hollow warrior.
    I'm nearly sure they were using the drake sword :p
    All bets are off in the forest - you can be up against any level.

Otherwise summoned players/invaders/invadees - it's within a margin of plus/minus 10% of your SL. So if you're at SL100 you can meet anyone from SL90-110 regardless of which playthrough they're on

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

I was at the 3rd bonfire in Anor Londo (in the room near all the silver knights).
    I had my menu open and was changing my gear and didn't notice I was being invaded.
    Next thing I know some ****er is stabbing me in the back.
    Without thinking, I closed the menu and pressed R1.
    I had a fully upgraded pyromancy flame in my hand with chaos storm selected.
    Soltaire is sitting right beside me and gets completely incinerated.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    I was at the 3rd bonfire in Anor Londo (in the room near all the silver knights).
    I had my menu open and was changing my gear and didn't notice I was being invaded.
    Next thing I know some ****er is stabbing me in the back.
    Without thinking, I closed the menu and pressed R1.
    I had a fully upgraded pyromancy flame in my hand with chaos storm selected.
    Soltaire is sitting right beside me and gets completely incinerated.
    :(

Oh poor Soltaire.

I know that the guy on the roof (where you fought the Gargoyles) can forgive you sins for a heft soul price (I used him when I acidentally had an altercation with "forge I CAN!").

But I didn't actually kill him, just turned him hostile so doubt it will work for you

Also, 4 kings in NG+ are making me cry.

I have Strength of 32, Dex of 33 and a Halbred +15.

Doing about 400 a hit two-handed but its just not fast enough at the moment.

I setup with Smoughs or Havels Armoour, strong magic shield and iron flesh but still no joy so far.

On my first playthrough when I met that cat that's the head of the forest hunters, I accidentally hit "no" when she asked me to join the covenant. It counted as betraying the covenant and I had to fork out a tonne of souls to get that lad to absolve me

noodler wrote: »

I setup with Smoughs or Havels Armoour, strong magic shield and iron flesh but still no joy so far.

I just sprint at them and then lay into them with strong fire spells. They go down in no time (I use Havel's set too)

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    I just sprint at them and then lay into them with strong fire spells. They go down in no time (I use Havel's set too)

New Game plus?

I am well over Soul Level 110 now but they seem to do ridiculous damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

If you haven't, I would advise investing in a lightning weapon, I couldn't have done 4 Kings without my Lightning Greataxe, it has 777 damage at +5, and 4 Kings went down quickly, paired with Iron Flesh, and Two-Handing your weapon with Grass Crest Shield on your back, and a high poise armor set.

If you haven't, I would advise investing in a lightning weapon, I couldn't have done 4 Kings without my Lightning Greataxe, it has 777 damage at +5, and 4 Kings went down quickly, paired with Iron Flesh, and Two-Handing your weapon with Grass Crest Shield on your back, and a high poise armor set.

I actually used my lightning spear +5 in my first playthrough but my Halbred +15 now does more damage (to most foes anyway) due to scaling.

I will try it next to see if there is any improvement.

Grass Crest I also haven't tried, but will do next.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

penev10 wrote: »
    All bets are off in the forest - you can be up against any level.

Otherwise summoned players/invaders/invadees - it's within a margin of plus/minus 10% of your SL. So if you're at SL100 you can meet anyone from SL90-110 regardless of which playthrough they're on

That makes sense, 4 people in a row with barely a scratch on me. Also explains why I was getting murdered when I was part of the forest hunters. Nothing to do with me being crap so.
    <.<.
    .>.>

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

I actually used my lightning spear +5 in my first playthrough but my Halbred +15 now does more damage (to most foes anyway) due to scaling.

I will try it next to see if there is any improvement.

Grass Crest I also haven't tried, but will do next.

Cheers.

I'm not saying specifically choose a Lightning Greataxe, I would advise finding a weapon you like using, and making that Lightning, so if you want to make a Lightning Halberd, it will have 610 damage, and will easily out power you Halberd+15.

I'm not saying specifically choose a Lightning Greataxe, I would advise finding a weapon you like using, and making that Lightning, so if you want to make a Lightning Halberd, it will have 610 damage, and will easily out power you Halberd+15.

Nah man, lightning spear +5 well worse than my halbred +15.

Scaling reasons I am sure. Lightning Spear doesn't scale with anything.

Starting to lose it now - such a cheap fight.

But now its done. Please god I can platinum this before I get to 4 Kings in NG++

EDIT: Power within was the key, doing 600+ two handed with the halbred

With your current stats i bet a Lightning Halberd +5 will out DMG a Halberd +15. Halberd +15 has terrible scaling with both DEX and STR. You would be better off with a Black Knight Halberd which has loads more base DMG and the same scaling in STR. Your stats are also kinda all over the place. With such high DEX and STR i would bet either your VIT or END is suffering.

The thing with Lightning weapons is they have two sets of DMG. Physical and Lightning and both these get reduced depending on the enemys resistances. Where as Physical only weapons will only have to pass physical resistance of your enemy. So high stats and good scaling of a weapon most of the time it will beat out Lightning Weapons. Both your STR and DEX are near 40 (point of diminishing returns) so you could get your hands on either a high STR or DEX scaling weapon and do well with it. But those stats are wasted on a Halberd with D scaling in both.

Other than that your going about the fight the right way. High armour with high poise and such. Kindle your fire at the Firelink to 20 if you already havent done that. In NG 4Kings dont hit that hard if you have the armour and you can take a good few hits before you need to drink a flask. So more flasks will do you good.

I would also abandon the use of Iron Flesh. You loose a hell of alot of mobility using it. When you run out of stamina and are waiting for it to regen you should walk in a circle around one of the Kings as he is liable to miss some of his swings this way. Also put the Grass Crest Sheild on your back for improved stamina regen and maybe eat some Green Blossoms which will also increase stamina regen (They can be found of the chameleon enemys in the Darkroot Garden)

tldr: get a new weapon :P

If your to invested in your +15 Halberd and wont drop it you can also use a weapon enchant on it. Get some Pine Resin or Fire Resin (:confused:) and apply that to your weapon before the fights for that extra bit of DMG. Man this is a ****ing long post

-Edit- Seems you did it in the time it took me to type this post hah. Goodjob!

With your current stats i bet a Lightning Halberd +5 will out DMG a Halberd +15. Halberd +15 has terrible scaling with both DEX and STR. You would be better off with a Black Knight Halberd which has loads more base DMG and the same scaling in STR. Your stats are also kinda all over the place. With such high DEX and STR i would bet either your VIT or END is suffering.

The thing with Lightning weapons is they have two sets of DMG. Physical and Lightning and both these get reduced depending on the enemys resistances. Where as Physical only weapons will only have to pass physical resistance of your enemy. So high stats and good scaling of a weapon most of the time it will beat out Lightning Weapons. Both your STR and DEX are near 40 (point of diminishing returns) so you could get your hands on either a high STR or DEX scaling weapon and do well with it. But those stats are wasted on a Halberd with D scaling in both.

Other than that your going about the fight the right way. High armour with high poise and such. Kindle your fire at the Firelink to 20 if you already havent done that. In NG 4Kings dont hit that hard if you have the armour and you can take a good few hits before you need to drink a flask. So more flasks will do you good.

I would also abandon the use of Iron Flesh. You loose a hell of alot of mobility using it. When you run out of stamina and are waiting for it to regen you should walk in a circle around one of the Kings as he is liable to miss some of his swings this way. Also put the Grass Crest Sheild on your back for improved stamina regen and maybe eat some Green Blossoms which will also increase stamina regen (They can be found of the chameleon enemys in the Darkroot Garden)

tldr: get a new weapon :P

If your to invested in your +15 Halberd and wont drop it you can also use a weapon enchant on it. Get some Pine Resin or Fire Resin (:confused:) and apply that to your weapon before the fights for that extra bit of DMG. Man this is a ****ing long post

-Edit- Seems you did it in the time it took me to type this post hah. Goodjob!

Cheers!

Yeah I think my VIT and Faith is where I am suffering the most stat wise. That said I am SL 120 something now - I just have an extremely balanced character.

I still have to choose a weapon to chaos level so open to suggestions.

Need one more pyro and one more miracle for the respoective trophies.

Also just need Sif's soul one more time for the True Greatsword to get the weapons trophy.

Ans just need to beat the game with the good ending.

Then I will bury the game in a dark hole and never look at it again!

Cheers!

Yeah I think my VIT and Faith is where I am suffering the most stat wise. That said I am SL 120 something now - I just have an extremely balanced character.

I still have to choose a weapon to chaos level so open to suggestions.

Need one more pyro and one more miracle for the respoective trophies.

Also just need Sif's soul one more time for the True Greatsword to get the weapons trophy.

Ans just need to beat the game with the good ending.

Then I will bury the game in a dark hole and never look at it again!

I could be wrong but i think you need to kill Sif 3 times for the trophy. The Shield, The Cursed Sword and the True Sword

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

you are correct, generally takes 3 and a half play throughs, took me 4 and a bit to get them all (****in weapon drops!!)

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but i think you need to kill Sif 3 times for the trophy. The Shield, The Cursed Sword and the True Sword

Yeah but I am deep into NG+ atm so I just have to get him one more time (in NG++)

Advertisement