Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Bah I used to bow and all that nonsense, now when I'm invaded I kill them by any means necessary. Same with invading, I'm not there for some code of ethics or honour, I am there to run you down. Once they are dead, then I'll bow, or wave, or laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Be a touch wary on overleveling if you're playing online. You can only be invaded by at most someone 10% of your level higher than you and all levels below you. If you overlevel too fast, you'll probably be facing off against people with much better gear than you.

If you're not playing online, then go mad. Grind 20k souls by killing Balder Knights near the bonfire above Andre of Astora, then buy the Crest of Artorias from him. Head on down to Darkwood Forest and lure some hunters into mass suicide . Soon you'll have more than enough souls to level up, buy rakes of titanite to level your gear, with change to power up your pyro glove.

Gave that a try earlier, funny watching 3-4 of them just legging off a cliff. the boss fight with Sif afterwards is a tough enough, I can get right in under its legs and hack away but the big overhead slashes take a ton of health off. It's not too far of a trek from Darkroot back to Firelink via Undead Parish so went back and got my 10 (althought now it's 12 for some reason) estus flasks and will gear up and give it another bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

krudler wrote: »
    Gave that a try earlier, funny watching 3-4 of them just legging off a cliff. the boss fight with Sif afterwards is a tough enough, I can get right in under its legs and hack away but the big overhead slashes take a ton of health off. It's not too far of a trek from Darkroot back to Firelink via Undead Parish so went back and got my 10 (althought now it's 12 for some reason) estus flasks and will gear up and give it another bash.

If memory serves you get an estus flask if somebody thanks your message so if you have 12 it's probably from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Kirby wrote: »
    If memory serves you get an estus flask if somebody thanks your message so if you have 12 it's probably from that.

I think it's when anyone nearby kindles their bonfire. When I did Co-Op, if my mate would kindle his bonfire I received extra estus flasks. Probably someone in Krudlers connection pool kindled the last bonfire he was also at.

Kirby wrote: »

Aha, I know my "imminent beating to a pulp" message on the stairs by Havel would get a laugh :pac: I wonder how much longer the servers will be running? its 2 years old now so I guess they'll be shut down at some point, anyone if the Demon's Souls ones are running? the online aspect works really well it'd be much tougher without it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

You get an extra estus if someone kindles a fire in your area as far as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

tuxy wrote: »
    Within reason would be not exploiting something that is clearly a bug in the game.

If it were a bug, they would have tweaked the AI to not do that in one of the many patches. The devs patched another soul farming spot in Anor Londo after you kill Gwyndolin, so why did they leave the forest hunters suicidal? Because it's not game-breaking. If you want to grind out 100,000 souls in an hour, go for it. Eventually souls aren't worth a thing.

Actually hacking the game is a different case as you're not exploiting the game within the confines of the engine, which makes for unfair advantage in PvP.

I wouldnt really class the woods soul farming part as hacking either, its working within the confines of how Dark Souls works, same as the dragon on he bridge, using the bonfire and respawning enemies for your own purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

whats this... krudler playing dark souls !?!?!?

Just started playing on PC for the first time, been a long time since I played any of my PS3 chars... died 3 times to gargoyles ! Funtimes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

I beat him:
    Either stay really close under his legs or really far away away from his slash range. Also when you get under his legs resist the temptation and heal before you slash his legs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,764 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gave that a try earlier, funny watching 3-4 of them just legging off a cliff. the boss fight with Sif afterwards is a tough enough

I recommend not killing Sif until after you beat the DLC. You'll get an extra cutscene which may lead to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I recommend not killing Sif until after you beat the DLC. You'll get an extra cutscene which may lead to tears.

Disaster! Ive killed him already

Magill wrote: »
    whats this... krudler playing dark souls !?!?!?

Just started playing on PC for the first time, been a long time since I played any of my PS3 chars... died 3 times to gargoyles ! Funtimes ahead.

He sure is, loving it too, not buying Call of Duty this year, better things to be playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

if you have already entered the fight with sif you wont get the cutscene

So I officially hate Blighttown, what a massive pain in the balls that section is.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tafkapts

Blighttown is an absolute nightmare, plus the constant dropping of frame rate is terrible. This is probably the only part of the game I hate. I'm on NG++ at them moment, trying to get all the achievements, only 6 left I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Got cursed by those damn frogs in the great hollow and the only way I have of healing it is killing those crabs in ash lake over and over ughhhhh

tafkapts wrote: »
    Blighttown is an absolute nightmare, plus the constant dropping of frame rate is terrible. This is probably the only part of the game I hate. I'm on NG++ at them moment, trying to get all the achievements, only 6 left I think.

You're getting attacked from bloody everywhere, I had to head back to Firelink and get my 10 estus flasks and then went through the Valley Of Drakes route, couldnt be arsed heading all the way back to the depths again, have loads of moss and poison curing stuff so will take another crack at it later, am sorta stuck now as Sif is kicking my arse so I'll go back to him afterwards, had him down to about 1/4 health and I made a balls of timing an attack and got hammered. Getting under him and chopping away at his legs seems to work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

So I officially hate Blighttown, what a massive pain in the balls that section is.
    It's easier on your 2nd playthrough I promise:D

The framerate is still shocking though on xbox:(

Queelag coming up, make sure when you eventually get to the swamp bonfire at the bottom of Blighttown to go Human and kill the NPC invader Matilda just outside the bonfire cave...easy enough with a good poise defense I usually just lead her back into the arena at the back of the cave where there's plenty of space. Once you kill her you can summon her before entering the fight with Queelag and she'll help.

PS don't worry about the poison in the swamp too much it takes health very slowly and you should have plenty of estus to replenish it. I never bother with the moss clumps.

I'm nearly finished my second PT with a Stength build. Lightning Zwei +5 is a beaut. Havels Armour, Havel's Ring, Ring of Favour & Protection...Unstoppable...apart from PvP where it's not very good. My initial Dex build is much better for PvP.
    In Tomb of the Giants now and thinking of PT 3...going to go for sorcerer or cleric...any suggestions? I actually have no idea how I'll play with one of these characters as I rarely 1) play through a game 3 times or 2) go for this type of character...I like swords:D

You can wear Havel's armor? where do you get that? I did some farming and got my intelligence levels up so can use pyromancy and the staff for soul arrows now so yay for that, makes some fights much easier. I love how many options you have in this when it comes to tackling different sections, the level design is friggin genius and it's cool how seamless it all is. The framerate is shocking at times though, going through Darkroot it drops a fair bit near the lake with the Hydra, I saw a few clips of DS2 and it looks much much better graphically, dynamic shadows and all that, even the bonfire looks fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

You can wear Havel's armor? where do you get that?

It's found in some chests in a hidden area of a later part of the game. I won't say where exactly but it's found in Anor Londo but you have a while yet until you reach Anor Londo anyway.

You're getting attacked from bloody everywhere, I had to head back to Firelink and get my 10 estus flasks and then went through the Valley Of Drakes route, couldnt be arsed heading all the way back to the depths again, have loads of moss and poison curing stuff so will take another crack at it later, am sorta stuck now as Sif is kicking my arse so I'll go back to him afterwards, had him down to about 1/4 health and I made a balls of timing an attack and got hammered. Getting under him and chopping away at his legs seems to work well.
    I'd leave Sif for a bit till you level up your gear a bit and Vit and End stats. Go back to Blighttown but probably first time use the Wiki as it's a bloody maze in there...you just need to be patient, particularly at the top, and lure the baddies out one by one. The 2 big lads at the start can be a pain in the hole if they team up. Best taking them out with arrows/magic from above as they dont climb up the ladder once you lure them out. And use the spider shield if you have it to take out the blowdart dudes. They don't respawn so try to kill them quick as they chop your health pretty fast.

GK1001 wrote: »
    I'd leave Sif for a bit till you level up your gear a bit and Vit and End stats. Go back to Blighttown but probably first time use the Wiki as it's a bloody maze in there...you just need to be patient, particularly at the top, and lure the baddies out one by one. The 2 big lads at the start can be a pain in the hole if they team up. Best taking them out with arrows/magic from above as they dont climb up the ladder once you lure them out. And use the spider shield if you have it to take out the blowdart dudes. They don't respawn so try to kill them quick as they chop your health pretty fast.

I went in the other way through the valley, there's three of those big dudes with clubs, I have the ring that makes your footsteps silent on so can handily backstab the first one. and yeah it's a pain trying to navigate, ladders that lead down to platforms and you're getting attacked from behind without knowing whats around you, just want to get through it as soon as.

I went in the other way through the valley, there's three of those big dudes with clubs, I have the ring that makes your footsteps silent on so can handily backstab the first one. and yeah it's a pain trying to navigate, ladders that lead down to platforms and you're getting attacked from behind without knowing whats around you, just want to get through it as soon as.
    ah ok...i think you're down near enough to the bottom so and have skipped the bonfire in the middle...can't recall exactly...when you reach the swamp at the bottom ignore all the creatures trying to kill you and just run to your right hugging the wall and there's a cave with a bonfire in it. Light that, settle down and then explore the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

GK1001 wrote: »
    ah ok...i think you're down near enough to the bottom so and have skipped the bonfire in the middle...can't recall exactly...when you reach the swamp at the bottom ignore all the creatures trying to kill you and just run to your right hugging the wall and there's a cave with a bonfire in it. Light that, settle down and then explore the area.

Hmmmm my memory is rusty but I would say go left at the bottom ...... one of usis leading the OP to certain doom :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

calex71 wrote: »
    Hmmmm my memory is rusty but I would say go left at the bottom ...... one of usis leading the OP to certain doom :pac:

You'd need to go left if coming from Valley of the drakes entrance .And just run past the big dudes in the tunnel

calex71 wrote: »

It's Dark Souls, certain doom is everywhere :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Blightown isn't too bad as long as you take your time, kill any poison dart shooters as soon as you see them as they don't respawn and just keep trying to move downwards. From the Depths entrance just keep going straight ahead until you reach a stone bridge for the first bonfire then just try and slowly make your way to the bottom, it's tempting to rush through it but you just end up being overwhelmed by enemies then

Also not sure if you know but you can upgrade any bonfire to 10 estus (and eventually 20) by becoming human and kindling it. And if you find any fire keeper souls give them to the fire keeper below Firelink and she upgrades your estus to give more health

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Yeah, Blightown is the worst. So many falls and those damn poison dart guys! I normally skip the depths way in until I decide that I really want that Eagle Shield...

When you get to the bonfire down at the bottom though, it's a great place to drop your soul sign for a while. You can clock up tonnes of souls, earn sunlight medals if you're in the Warriors of Sunlight Covenant, and just generally have the lols that co-op brings!

• Advertisement

Have my estus flasks at +2 now and have the undead burg bonfire kindled. I got to the bonfire in Blighttown but the framerate makes it a complete pain if you're surrounded. have good poison resist armour through so going through bit by bit.

Advertisement