Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

feylya wrote:
    Did you have a really old gentleman tester besty? Just wondering if it was the same guy as me yesterday.
    I think his name was C.King or something like that. Middle aged man. Nice guy I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

woot!! Passed earlier today in Finglas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

tk123 wrote:

Same here :D First time round wooohhoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 guy_awoke

Passed on my 3rd attempt in Raheny on tuesday. It still hasn't sunk in yet tbh.
    I'm going around like a zombie right now because it occupied my mind for months and now I have to switch my focus. Having a good instructor really does make a difference and if you're learning from scratch you should start from the very beginning with an instructor as the good habits become more ingrained, not just to pass the test but for the rest of your driving career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Passed yesterday morning in the new youghal test centre.tester was really nice and made you feel relaxed.was a nice route too,few housing estates and a bit on the bypass.would recommend to anyone to get it done in youghal.failed it first time cos was a nervous wreck and the tester was a grumpy old fecker and went 'tut' if ya got a bad mark..hows that suppose to make you feel comfortable?this was in cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Passed yesterday on my 1st time in Finglas . Tester was fine. I had 2 grade two's, one for speed and one for turning left observation. I'm chuffed !!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

i passed in april on my 3rd attempt! ha! first time i had a supervisor in the back! 2nd i failed on the reverse, was brought to the same corner as in my first!! 3rd i did it in tallaght (prev 2 in monaghan). grand, was sweatin buckets. my instructor had told me to go over spped ramps in 2nd.. the tester said third as you could hold up ppl behind u!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Noskoda wrote:
    'Old' ones at Churchtown (although they wouldn't like to hear that !) could be:-
      Colin Larkin - ### Nice 'The Farmer' - VERY artritic legs but nice A newish one with very grey hair also nice

Any idea who?

BUt well done on passing, you deserve it.

What are artrictic legs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cazzy wrote:
    What are artrictic legs ?
    Presumably he/she means 'arthritic'!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Charlie 22

I passed today in skibbereen. i'm so happy, i'm driving 7 months and after 5 lessons i passed. i was sure that i was going to fail, 2 of my friends failed first time round but i got a nice tester it makes all the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mimi3637

I passed yesterday in Sligo. I'm soooo delighted.

Got three grade 2's; one for observation turning left and two for reaction to hazards.

v. pleased and even more pleased that Quinn Direct are giving me back 200 clams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

passed at Deansgrange yesterday (4th attempt!) Thought I'd scraped it but only got 2 grade 2's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

passed at Deansgrange yesterday (4th attempt!) Thought I'd scraped it but only got 2 grade 2's.

Sorry but how did you find Deansgrange I'm there tomorrow?

EDIT: The sorry was for being OT, congrats on passing.

tk123 wrote: »
    su_dios wrote: »
    Same here :D First time round wooohhoo
    guy_awoke wrote: »
    Passed on my 3rd attempt in Raheny
    damo86 wrote: »
    Passed yesterday morning in the new youghal test centre
    mcauley wrote: »
    Passed yesterday on my 1st time in Finglas
    Charlie 22 wrote: »
    I passed today in skibbereen. i'm so happy
    Mimi3637 wrote: »
    I passed yesterday in Sligo. I'm soooo delighted
    passed at Deansgrange yesterday (4th attempt!)
    Congratulation folks! :D Safe driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Passed in Deansgrange today. First time after just over 6 months driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Passed in Deansgrange today. First time after just over 6 months driving.

Me too! Driving since March ... up to a couple of weeks ago I was still making mistakes, but with a few refresh lessons i took in a lot more, driving out with the test passed, i knew I'll be a safer driver for life.

Thanks to some of the boards people on here for your help. In particular Wishbone Ash, you always have good advice.

Safe driving!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 -avey-

Passed mine in Aug 06 (but im only new on boards :D) 2nd attempt, 1st time i got 9 Grade 2 marks :( 2nd time got 5 ;) Best feelin ever when the examiner tells u u've passed, the long walk from the car to the office feels like forever tho :eek: 1st thing i did was pull my L-plates off whoops!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Passed 1st time this morning with no faults at all!! Delighted with myself. Did it in orwell road but was taken on alot of the churchtown 'route' (i know theres no defined route! Still cant believe it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Sorry Alan, Only on boards now. Congrates anyway. I did 2 hours the day before and 2 hours on the day with a great instructor - I think it made all the difference this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I just passed!

I had the test this morning in Cork City at 9:15.

The tester was a gentleman - he put me at ease, and gave directions pleasantly and in good time. He spent most of the time looking out the window, and we chatted about how nice the weather was, and how quiet the roads were this morning. I knew that I was driving well too.

But, I have to say that I don't think my driving has improved all that much since I first took the test last July. The main difference was the tester - the last time he was nasty, and made me very nervous. This in turn affected my performance.

I'm delighted anyhow. And Quinn Direct will give me an insurance rebate of EUR 160 - which is nice.

Best of luck to everyone else...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Guisseppeth

Passed my test today in Deansgrange. 2nd attempt. First one was at Rathgar. The differences between the two are unbelievable and its not hard to tell which is the private company. Greeted with Hello and a smile, some general chit chat and an examiner with a pleasurable demeanour in comparison with exactly the opposite in Rathgar. But enough of the examiners..... I'm not saying that its any easier to pass there but the whole experience was a whole lot "nicer"

I actually thought I drove better in my first test (when I received 9 grade 2's) in comparison to today (when I only received 2). Quotas???? But no matter - its passed and I never have to go through that gut wrenching feeling of taking the test again. Unless they change the laws and say we have to do one every 5 years!!!! Out of all the exams I have ever taken in my life (and I have done quite a few) I have never been as nervous as I was doing my driving test!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

:d passed this morning got 6 grade 2's so it was close enough.

Thought I got a grade 3 at a roundabout but turns out he didn't mark it at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Quotas????

No.

Congrats gentlemen :)

Cheers - the Quotas comment was a bit tongue in cheek as I personally think its an urban legend/myth. Just needed to tell myself something to try and explain the failure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Passed today in Finglas at 3.45 - was worried about Friday afternoon traffic!! Got it 1st time! Delighted!

-avey- wrote: »
    Best feelin ever when the examiner tells u u've passed, the long walk from the car to the office feels like forever tho
    Furet wrote: »
    I just passed!

I had the test this morning in Cork City at 9:15.
    Passed my test today in Deansgrange. 2nd attempt
    :d passed this morning got 6 grade 2's so it was close enough
    rugbug86 wrote: »
    Passed today in Finglas at 3.45 - was worried about Friday afternoon traffic!! Got it 1st time! Delighted!

Congratulation lads/ladies. Well done and safe motoring. :D

Re: Differing personalities among driving testers.

While I perfectly understand when people say that a 'nice' examiner puts them at ease one could ask if a person's personality should be an excuse for making mistakes or doing something which is potentially dangerous.

Although many people like an examiner who 'chats' during the test, the danger is that those who are unsuccessful may cite the examiners chatting as a distraction and a cause of their failure.

Personally, I prefer an examiner who doesn't make any small talk but maybe that's just me.

Speaking from personal experience, I did notice that the examiners who do the larger categories (trucks, buses etc.) tend to be more relaxed and laid back. Perhaps this is because they know that the testee has already passed one or several tests in smaller vehicles.

Thanks Wishbone Ash. Just to clarify - I wasn't making the comment about the examiners, moreso the fact that SGS are a private organisation therefore they have better customer service policies etc in place which makes the experience seem a whole lot more polished and professional. From the name plates on the desk, talking you through the process through to using the PDAs etc. I experienced none of this the first time round in Rathgar.

The examiner didn't speak at all during the test except to relay the instructions but this didn't bother me at all as I was expecting that. I would think that if they did chat then it increases the potential for distraction.

I was also like to say that we don't know what is going on in the examiners life/head that could be causing them to be distracted, or the fact that they maybe just had a bad day at the office. Could this have any impact on their work?? Happens us all... But until we find a way to carry out a driving test without having to rely on human interpretations etc there will always be the opportunity for us to say "it was the exminers fault............."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Passed this morning, two grade 2 faults on entire sheet, perfect reversing this time - happy days. Feels like I just slipped in the door before it closed.
    Good luck to everybody else on their tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Welcome to the pink :D

Congrats!

• Advertisement

Thread merged.

Advertisement