Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

H Diploma Business Studies qualify you to teach?

Options
  • 09-04-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello,
    I will be doing the PME (Teacher training) at DCU in September. I will be doing History and CSPE as my subjects as I did a BA in History and Politics. My question is can I also do Business Studies as I have also done a Higher Diploma in Business Studies (UCD, Smurfit School of Business, DBS)?
    I have read the teaching council guidelines about the subject being 30% of your degree over three years etc. As the H Dip is also a level 8 on the NFQ then surely there is a good chance this is good enough to qualify me or be close enough? I emailed the teaching council but they want 200 Euros to assess it! During my interview at DCU the interviewers both thought I could possibly teach business studies as well. Is the 200 Euro teaching council route the only way I can find this out?
    Thanks,
    M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Chopper12 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I will be doing the PME (Teacher training) at DCU in September. I will be doing History and CSPE as my subjects as I did a BA in History and Politics. My question is can I also do Business Studies as I have also done a Higher Diploma in Business Studies (UCD, Smurfit School of Business, DBS)?
    I have read the teaching council guidelines about the subject being 30% of your degree over three years etc. As the H Dip is also a level 8 on the NFQ then surely there is a good chance this is good enough to qualify me or be close enough? I emailed the teaching council but they want 200 Euros to assess it! During my interview at DCU the interviewers both thought I could possibly teach business studies as well. Is the 200 Euro teaching council route the only way I can find this out?
    Thanks,
    M.

Yes teaching council are the only ones who can say what you are qualified Business studies is a jc subject whereas business, accounting and economics are lc. I also work with people who have business degrees but year are qualified to teach all lc business subjects! I don't think it matters for jc though but could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chopper12

Hi Millem,

Thanks for your reply. The 200 Euro is a bit excessive so I am not sure if it is worth it. I will have to have a think about it. The whole process should be made more straight forward. I was hoping someone in a similar position had found out.

Regards.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Chopper12 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Thanks,
    M.

If it's not on the teaching council list of accepted qualifications then you have to get it assessed.

Advertisement