Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for housing/flat shares? Post here *Do not post them in the main forum area*

• 22-05-2013 11:11pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am doing this to keep things nice and tidy over the summer. There shall be many posts/threads started in this forum regarding housing,it happens every year, so this is the place to look for sharing housing with current/new students in Carlow. If you have positive/negative experiences with housing, put them in the other housing thread.

Keep enquiries to this thread, posts placed in the main forum will be moved here, be advised.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kelleherqueen

Hey guys. I just finished my first year at Carlow IT and had bad experiences with housemates. That's why I'm hoping to share with much nicer people in Sept for second year. I know it's really early to be looking for accommodation but I was hoping to build up a network so I (and possibly you) don't have to go through the whole ordeal of sharing with TOTAL strangers again.

I was hoping to get somewhere around the range of 60 euro a week with good wireless broadband and to share with 4/5 others. (Possibly College Green/Close enough to the college.)

Please comment here if you're interested in getting a network together! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fintanlewis

I am hopefully going to IT carlow in september and i was wondering if anyone knows any good websites or knows anyone who is renting a room for students.

preferably digs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Also interested in digs or places people would recommend from previous years. Or open to renting with some other decent folk that might be somewhat on their own. I'd be looking for somewhere quiet with either mature students or non first years.

Btw can anyone tell me any areas where its known to be quiet for students ? I lived close to town this year but it was a huge mistake as it seemed to be an area where first years went to be closer to the pubs.

Also interested in digs or places people would recommend from previous years. Or open to renting with some other decent folk that might be somewhat on their own. I'd be looking for somewhere quiet with either mature students or non first years.

Btw can anyone tell me any areas where its known to be quiet for students ? I lived close to town this year but it was a huge mistake as it seemed to be an area where first years went to be closer to the pubs.

Hey-- are you looking for somewhere quiet as well? I was in 1st year last year and was surrounded by loud annoying 17 year olds. (I'm only 20 but I'm wise beyond my years I guess!) Are you a mature student? If so, did you have bad experiences last year also?
    I'm really hoping to gather together some students online who are willing to rent a house together before Sept, as I don't want to go into the college scene a second year in a row being completely blind to who exactly I'm sharing with.
    Granted, speaking to students online beforehand is still speaking to strangers but at least they're not completely strangers.
    Last year I went in blind and it turned out terribly.
    Strangely, two of my housemates were wonderful girls who I became best friends with whereas the other two were disastrous. (I won't go into the deets here.)
    Maybe we can discuss this further if you're interested in sharing?
    I've been doing the college thing for too long it seems (Going into my third year now. Did a plc before first year) and the clubbing every night lifestyle doesn't appeal to me really anymore. Maybe that makes me sound like an auld one, I don't know. Anyways, it's not like I'm against going out in Carlow but as you know so many students take it too far and I'm not into the mad scene. (Has caused a lot of trouble for me in the past.) and it is not an area I particularly want to continue....
    Having said that I do enjoy going to the pubs in Carlow but not so much the foundry and I wouldn't begrudge any student going out and coming home late so long as they're somewhat considerate of their housemates.

Hope to hear from you soon!

I am hopefully going to IT carlow in september and i was wondering if anyone knows any good websites or knows anyone who is renting a room for students.

preferably digs

I wouldn't recommend digs, very lonely and boring (speaking from experience) plus they are overpriced. But that's just my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Hey-- are you looking for somewhere quiet as well? I was in 1st year last year and was surrounded by loud annoying 17 year olds. (I'm only 20 but I'm wise beyond my years I guess!) Are you a mature student? If so, did you have bad experiences last year also?
    I'm really hoping to gather together some students online who are willing to rent a house together before Sept, as I don't want to go into the college scene a second year in a row being completely blind to who exactly I'm sharing with.
    Granted, speaking to students online beforehand is still speaking to strangers but at least they're not completely strangers.
    Last year I went in blind and it turned out terribly.
    Strangely, two of my housemates were wonderful girls who I became best friends with whereas the other two were disastrous. (I won't go into the deets here.)
    Maybe we can discuss this further if you're interested in sharing?
    I've been doing the college thing for too long it seems (Going into my third year now. Did a plc before first year) and the clubbing every night lifestyle doesn't appeal to me really anymore. Maybe that makes me sound like an auld one, I don't know. Anyways, it's not like I'm against going out in Carlow but as you know so many students take it too far and I'm not into the mad scene. (Has caused a lot of trouble for me in the past.) and it is not an area I particularly want to continue....
    Having said that I do enjoy going to the pubs in Carlow but not so much the foundry and I wouldn't begrudge any student going out and coming home late so long as they're somewhat considerate of their housemates.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Yeah I'm a mature student going into second year looking for somewhere quiet with other mature people. I didnt suit where I was last year really. Shared with a few other first years and it wasnt the best experience, generally kept to myself. I had to take the place at the last minute too so this year I'm gonna put a bit more effort in and find a suitable place early.

I dont mind people going out and coming home late, thats their business. Dont even mind them falling in and making a racket getting to bed, things aint always easy when your legless !. But it gets tiresome when its a regular occurrence and they bring a crowd back with them to sing and shout until 4/5am. Also would like a place to be kept clean, I'm not talking spotless all the time but just not living in squalor. Be nice not to have to take a paint scraper to the pots and pans every time I make a bite to eat.

Rent was steep too considering the state of the place. But as I said it was a last minute thing so I just took the first thing that came along. Drop me a pm if you're interested in sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Would students consider paulstown too far away from the IT to rent a room? The bus from waterford goes through it and if a student was driving 15mins and they would be in carlow , just putting it out there to see if theres interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JJJ100

im a first year student... looking to know where is best to look and if anybody less is looking for a place near to the college and reasonably priced?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Doyler87

Looking to rent accomadation in Carlow. Going into second year. If anyone is intereste?

Hey. Would u be up for renting a place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Hey guys. I just finished my first year at Carlow IT and had bad experiences with housemates. That's why I'm hoping to share with much nicer people in Sept for second year. I know it's really early to be looking for accommodation but I was hoping to build up a network so I (and possibly you) don't have to go through the whole ordeal of sharing with TOTAL strangers again.

I was hoping to get somewhere around the range of 60 euro a week with good wireless broadband and to share with 4/5 others. (Possibly College Green/Close enough to the college.)

I am no longer a student of IT Carlow but I have lived in quiet a few places down there. I was lucky enough to find the best place in 2nd year. (47 Southern Gardens) It had 5 bedrooms and two on suites. 4 bedrooms upstairs and 1 downstairs. Your best option is to have a look at Daft.ie. I would highly recommend living in (47 Southern Gardens). Some of the places down in Southern Gardens are over priced and are not great. I paid 60 per week at 47 southern gardens and bins were included. broadband and electricity work out cheap enough with 5 people sharing. Very close to the college as well 10 min walk. I may have the landlords number if you are interested. let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yJIpuX

Hello guy's, I'm a first year, coming over to Carlow IT pretty soon, (7-8th of September) But I haven't really found a place to stay at yet. I don't want to blindly accept anything off the web... meaning that I literally have no place to stay at in Carlow. Any suggestions on temporary housing? I don't think it should take more than a week or two to find accommodation. I'm currently in Belgium trying to figure out the logistics for the trip and stay. Would prefer a quiet place to share with reasonable people. Never been to Ireland... so - second years, anyone? Suggestions? Any help much appreciated! Thanks ahead of time.

Probably bit too late - but you never know if you don't try, right? I'm Latvian(20 y.o.), living in Belgium right now, going through the troubles of logistics of settling in Carlow for the first academic year. I haven't found a reasonable place to stay at, yet that is... my absolute ceiling would be 75-85 Euros p/w. For now, I really know nothing of the place, and I'd love to share in with some second years. I've never been to Ireland before in my life, hence the willingness to move in with some experienced people. I'm not a party person at all, especially with the word being synonymous with drinking most of the time nowadays, when they handed out livers up there, I got one that bears the marking of "Made in China".... that said - I really hope I'm not too late on anything. How convincing can you be on the internet, right? So I'll just say that I'm a calm guy, and trouble causing or being loud is not my thing to do. If you're lacking people, you can count me in.

I'm going into second year business management. I'm irish 25 looking for a place too, mail me if you want to chat about it thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 inky_panels

I'm going in for the first year of games design, coming down from sligo.
    i've gotten a few places lined up, yet to confirm, but is there any reccomendations that people have or places where i should stay clear of based on experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CailinGlas

http://www.itcarlow.ie/public/userfiles/files/International%20Student%20Accommodation%20List.pdf

Hi Guys, don't know if this helps. I came across it yesterday whilst looking for something related to accommodation in Carlow!! It gives a list of temporary housing, but maybe you've gone through it already.

Good luck

Anyone know anything about Riverbank Apartments? http://www.redhillproperties.ie/html/about.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Laura1994

Hi guys, I have a double room in an apartment on the kilkenny road for 200 a month including tv bins and internet, esb is extra, the person who was meant to take the room has just finished repeats and is not very confident they have passed so was just putting it out there that there more than likely will be a cheap room available sharing with 2 second year girls, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

I know of a room that is available in Southern Gardens to share with a woman and her daughter.

They are looking for another female but not the party type. Own large room downstairs - converted garage - all furnishings are brand new and rent is reasonable at €60/week. Suit somebody who is serious about studying and wants the convenience of being a 5 minute walk from Carlow IT.

PM if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ould wan

DIGS. Only one room left FOOD AND BILLS INCLUDED IN RENT. Rent is based on Monday - Friday €100 per week)with breakfast and dinner each day,students can arrive on Sunday evening that is not a problem. 2 mins walk from Carlow IT and 15 mins walk from town.Pictures can be emailed or text to your prior to visiting. All bed linen pillows etc supplied. Quiet and welcoming house,student has own key so can come and go as they please . Must like dogs(we have four), very comfortable home . Have been taking students for a few years. Meals are healthy and plenty. Will cater for vegetarians if needed also free wifi, all bills elec etc included in rent.If staying for weekend rates can be discussed.Thanking you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Bright red

Room available in a modern house near the college.

Newly decorated to a very high standard.

All mod cons including satellite and broadband.

Contact me ASAP to avoid disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kpjm0501

Hi I have a single room available in a house in st patricks avenue in carlow, I am a student in 3rd yr software development and I am looking for someone in a similar course preferably non smoker and is into the quiet lifestyle, the rent would be €60 a month but may increase to 80 due to the fact the only other person living in the house bar myself may be moving out if said guy moves out you will be able to move into a double room, this price will include all bills, might have to ask for extra if I high bill comes in but it shouldn't happen, pm me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

room available in college green, pm if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kdogkeith

Hey! Just wondering is there any bod looking for a room in Carlow? Im a 2nd yr female student and can afford to rent an apartment o my own :(...

I just want to point out that I'm not a female in fact I'm very much male.
    One of my friends used my account to post that because she had trouble finding accomodation

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NolanJ

I realise that this is super-late but my housemate has just announced that he's moving out and my other housemate and I need a replacement housemate til around May.
    We live a bit away from the college- up near Browneshill Road- but the area is lovely and the house is nice.
    The two of us are both female, pretty quiet, and studying 2nd year Media Studies up in the IT.

The rent rounds off at about 230 a month and the electricity/UPC bills are pretty cheap when split between three.
    Just a shot in the dark, but if you're interested, please give me a message!

Hey NolanJ
    I know a couple of people looking for a place to stay so il pass on the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NolanJ

Ahh, brilliant! Thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Err, is it alright to start with this again? I might be going to Carlow this coming September as a first year and was looking for maybe other first years to live with.. wrong place? right place?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

You're in the right place anyway. Hopefully some more first years will come along in the same situation as yourself and you'll get something sorted. Most first years I've seen about the place tend to live in Southern Gardens, Rath Abhainn, Carraig Abhainn mostly so if you're looking for accommodation using the sites in the other thread, it'll be likely you'll have a 1st year or two in the same house.

Enjoy your time in Carlow, it's a grand spot!

Advertisement