Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shift duration reduced... uneconomic

Options
  • 10-12-2013 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

In a part time job I have a shift used to be 9 hours @ EUR 9 per hour... so it was worth 81 euro, however to save money they have reduced the shift to 5 hours which is worth only 45 euro....

now regardless of the shift lenght my travel cost and parking cost is the same so after taking that away a 45 euro shift seems pointless... my day is pretty much gone and I don't make much profit...

Question:
    Is there such a thing as a minimum shift lenght (PAYE)

I mean if not whats the stop a company having an employee come in on one day for 1 hour only? or 5 minutes even?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

A contract sets down the minimum amount of hours you will be offered in a working week ,how those hours are distributed are at the discretion of the employer.If its not worth your while then chuck the job

If there are a lot of people in the company in the same boat, i might make sense to attempt to re-organise things to do back-to-back shifts?

(ie; instead of 4 days doing 5 hour shifts, 2 days doing 10 hours shifts).

This will mean, if nothing else, you'll save money by only spending half as much on parking, travel, etc. and will also free you up to (depending on each individual's circumstances) claim social welfare for the days you are not working.

This will (in theory) benefit everyone financially without interfering with the company itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If there are a lot of people in the company in the same boat, i might make sense to attempt to re-organise things to do back-to-back shifts?

(ie; instead of 4 days doing 5 hour shifts, 2 days doing 10 hours shifts).

This will mean, if nothing else, you'll save money by only spending half as much on parking, travel, etc. and will also free you up to (depending on each individual's circumstances) claim social welfare for the days you are not working.

This will (in theory) benefit everyone financially without interfering with the company itself.
    The company now has to add lunch breaks and another 15 min paid break due to shift length vs. the 5h so I doubt they'd agree to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

vector wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as a minimum shift lenght (PAYE)

I mean if not whats the stop a company having an employee come in on one day for 1 hour only? or 5 minutes even?

No.

What's to stop it happening is supply and demand.

I would happily work a one-hour day, for a suitable hourly rate. Which would be a lot higher than the hourly rate I would accept from a company that offered me an eight-hour day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

There is legislation in Ireland in relation to Zero hour contracts to protect workers from various shenanigans. Oddly in the UK there have been reports that some employees actually want zero hour contracts as it allows them flexibility, I don't really buy that or Mrs O'Bumble's supply and demand argument but then I'm not all knowing, contrary to my belief most of the time.

Were you consulted on the changes? Were you offered redundancy? How long have you been with the business? Have you signed a new contract? Does your current contract require you to change hours? (Flexibility) How long had you been working your previous hours without variation?

Can you reduce your cost of getting to work by using public transport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

vector wrote: »

Very good, happy to have given you some advice if you wanted to answer the questions but sarky posts about public transport seem to be more your thing.

Best of luck, jack it in and let someone more local take it on.

Advertisement