Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nasty Email

Options
  • 06-12-2013 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm not sure how to handle this but how would you react?

I received an abusive email from a person in another company who is paid by my employer to do some work.

This person often sends me email with attitude in response to perfectly civil (work related) emails (we are paying them), I ignore the attitude as I have to deal with the person.

They must have had a shock when they realised they sent it so they called and explained to someone here that it was all just a mistake and not meant for me. That was a lie, it was a mail addressed to me personally and the content is for me, the mistake was not taking out the opening line before they hit send.

I dont want to overreact and get this person fired but this is so unprofessional it made me furious, it feels like the last straw.

What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ray13

Hi,

I received an abusive email from a person in another company who is paid by my employer to do some work.

This person often sends me email with attitude in response to perfectly civil (work related) emails (we are paying them), I ignore the attitude as I have to deal with the person.

They must have had a shock when they realised they sent it so they called and explained to someone here that it was all just a mistake and not meant for me. That was a lie, it was a mail addressed to me personally and the content is for me, the mistake was not taking out the opening line before they hit send.

I dont want to overreact and get this person fired but this is so unprofessional it made me furious, it feels like the last straw.

What would you do?

Interesting situ. Hasty emails are a growing problem and the instantaneous transmission and inability to retrieve contributes. The prob with email as opposed to face to face communication or phone communication is deindividualisation and reduced human interaction, google 'online disinhibition effect'. Aside from that, I would take into consideration that the person evidently is apologetic and hopefully will not repeat the offence and may actually have learnt a lesson? Save the mail and if you find the situation repeated, then go to a supervisor to discuss. However if you feel it is a big enough incident then report it. The sender of that mail is putting his/her company's reputation at risk if that sort of communication continues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

If the mail has insulted or upset you I think you should talk to your manager. If you think it serious enough make an official complaint.

If it is not too big a deal perhaps a word from your manager to this person and a proper apology from them will resolve it. Like Ray13 said they probably learned a valuable lesson

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well given that the person did not even have the decency to contact you directly and apologize, I would not hesitate to hand it over to your boss Ned ask him to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Hi,

What would you do?

As this to be an escalation of an existing pattern of behavior you should escalate to your manager and HR.

The person also did not contact you directly.

If you do not address this, they will see you as a easy target and I would be unsurprised to see the behaviour repeated in future.

Advertisement