Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

References from previous employer

• 28-11-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Just a couple of quick questions. A former employer has been screwing around a couple of other people I used to work with in terms of references and so on, just want to know where I stand.

Can an employer refuse to give a reference, either written or verbal?

If you've been give a warning at work which has expired by the time you've left your employment, can your former employer mention this in a reference?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

DM addict wrote: »
    Just a couple of quick questions. A former employer has been screwing around a couple of other people I used to work with in terms of references and so on, just want to know where I stand.

Can an employer refuse to give a reference, either written or verbal?
    iirc they have to confirm start and end date and position name; nothing else.
    If you've been give a warning at work which has expired by the time you've left your employment, can your former employer mention this in a reference?
    Yes as long as they can back it up (they would be stupid to do so with out prompting but that's a seperate story) as a truthfull statement.

Advertisement