Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quick Garmin Nuvi 200 question.

Options
  • 04-06-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

My sister in law has asked me to check out her Garmin sat nav ahead of a trip to the USA. She has a Europe map on the device itself and she has downloaded a USA map from Garmin onto an SD card in a Garmin folder.

In map info the two maps show up and have check marks beside them but other than that I can see no mention of the US map and no way to browse it or add American addresses as favourites/POIs. Adding accommodation, favoured restaurants, shops etc. ahead of time was her reason for buying the map beforehand. Is there something we are missing, or is what we are hoping to do beyond the scope of a cheap and cheerful Garmin?

Is it a case of waiting until the GPS sees that we are in the states to see if the map is working properly?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Untick the Europe map and see what happens.

You can also zoom out the display until you can see the Atlantic Ocean, then gently swipe the screen left to right to go left to the US, then see if you can zoom in and get any detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Cheers Coylemj.
    I had unticked the euro map but nothing seemed to change. Zooming right out and crossing the Atlantic did the trick alright. On the one hand, the Garmin way could be considered more "seamless", but the TomTom method of selecting which map you want to browse seems more sensible.

Now we can save destinations though. Much obliged to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

When you search for POI's etc on a Garmin device, by default it searches within a certain limited radius of where you are at the time, or where you last were when you last switched it off if you don't have satellite reception for whatever reason.

So, you won't see any POI's 1000's of km away in in the USA if the unit thinks you're in Ireland. On my two nuvis at least, you can specify a location to use as a 'centre' for your search, and also when looking for addresses you should be able to specify a country in the first screen that pops up when you start searching. Not sure of where these options might be on a nuvi 200, but they should be there if the map was installed correctly.

Advertisement