Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louth V Meath - 2nd Anniversary

• 11-07-2012 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Oh my God! Two years ago today - still sends shivers down my spine - unbelieveable! I know it's only football but on that day, it was more than football! It was the years of watching Louth defeats alongside my Dad now passed away; it was having my 5 children with me on the canal end ready to experience something at their young age that I had never seen; it was about the "wee county" coming good.... We had never even been in a Leinster Final let alone had aspirations of winning it - we went there that day for the occasion and didnt dare to imagine that we could possibly win it - until 5 mins to go when we were well ahead - until the 3 minutes of injury time were well over - even when the ball went into the net, only one person in Croke Park thought it was a legitimate goal - the referree! oh my God! Two years ago today still sends shivers down my spine - UNBELIEVEABLE!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Marko999 wrote: »
    Oh my God! Two years ago today - still sends shivers down my spine - unbelieveable! I know it's only football but on that day, it was more than football! It was the years of watching Louth defeats alongside my Dad now passed away; it was having my 5 children with me on the canal end ready to experience something at their young age that I had never seen; it was about the "wee county" coming good.... We had never even been in a Leinster Final let alone had aspirations of winning it - we went there that day for the occasion and didnt dare to imagine that we could possibly win it - until 5 mins to go when we were well ahead - until the 3 minutes of injury time were well over - even when the ball went into the net, only one person in Croke Park thought it was a legitimate goal - the referree! oh my God! Two years ago today still sends shivers down my spine - UNBELIEVEABLE!!

Even more exciting is the fact that its nearly 3 years since your last post - Its quality over quantity really :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Oh we're still talking about this are we? Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Marko999

Oh yeah Hammer - someone sent me a youtube video of the final minutes of that game this morning and it's mental to think that it could spark such emotion inside me - it's almost embarrassing! Anyway, the memories!!!

Hi Tom - very observant and correct! Maybe needing to find an outlet for my rant will get me back on the "boards" forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Oh we're still talking about this are we? Yay.

hahaha be kind of like someone posting a video of Kevin Foleys goal from over 20 years ago :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

until the 3 minutes of injury time were well over - even when the ball went into the net, only one person in Croke Park thought it was a legitimate goal - the referree! oh my God! Two years ago today still sends shivers down my spine - UNBELIEVEABLE!!

As luck would have it only one person matters.

My abiding memory of this was the Louth fans on the pitch after the match fighting and assaulting the referee. It reminded me of soccer hooligans and has no place in the GAA. Previously I would have always liked Louth as the underdogs but not any more. At the end of the day its a game and that kind of action is not welcome in the GAA- Hope thats not over harsh. Probably not a great topic even now!

You're probably right Jonniebgood. It was the emotion that the video sparked inside me that spurred me to post a thread. crazy crazy day. There is no excuse for assaulting the officials - absoluetly none. The only thing I would say is that 100's if not 1000's of louth fans had made their way to the sidelines planning to run on and celebrate an historic victory - while waiting to run on, filled with high spirits, the unthinkable happened and they found themeslves on the pitch in a different mood and as they say - s..t happens. If it had been a decision 5 or 10 mins earlier that went against us, we would have accepted it as typical of our luck on the big stage and gine home peeved - no one would be on the pitch.

Anyway, as other Posters have said, it's time to move on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

hahaha be kind of like someone posting a video of Kevin Foleys goal from over 20 years ago :p
    I still have nightmares about that! No amount of times we beat Meath will make up for that fecking goal! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Louths biggest contribution to GAA.

hill16fence-april2011.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Suppose. Neither will ever be forgotten by Meath fans :pac:
    And of course both games were won by the better team...
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Hi Tom - very observant and correct! Maybe needing to find an outlet for my rant will get me back on the "boards" forum.

Only winding you up mate :D

Advertisement