Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arena Leisure Tallaght quick review

• 18-03-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Have joined a gym a while ago. Am going 3 times a week early in the morning. Would like to share my experience so far (except pool since don't need it):
    -
    premisses are not great, have not seen clean (vacuum cleaned, dusted off, equipment neat in places) gym since joined;
    no natural sunlinght, windows are blanked out;
    showers are grey cement walls with 2 bulbs to light up half dozen cabins;
    100+ tiny lockers even though the gym would ever hold max 50 people;
    most equipment and gym itself is well worn out quite badly (have seen some small restoration works in progress though);
    music sometimes quite loud and cheap (pop techno style); no possibility to change (other gyms allow members to play their own tunes if appropriate);
    only 1 staff member from opening unti 8:00 - 8:30am so if going early morning will not get any assistance with the equipment;
    hard to nearly impossible to get assesment done Mon-Fri after work hours;
    all classes are mainly between 9-5 Mon-Fri or shortly after, so if doing office hours no chance to use them;
    +
    staff is ok, no all well trained but decent enough
    membership is relativelly cheap
    pool area seams big and handy (although haven't used it)
    All in all if you're in good health and have your training set + have your own MP3 player and if you are looking for cheap gym in Tallaght this is the one. But if you need nice bright and clean premisses with friendly staff that can make a suitable workout or fitness programme within 1 week - go elsewhere.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

Agree!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nordieboy

Why stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dremo

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    Have joined a gym a while ago. Am going 3 times a week early in the morning. Would like to share my experience so far (except pool since don't need it):
    -
    premisses are not great, have not seen clean (vacuum cleaned, dusted off, equipment neat in places) gym since joined;
    no natural sunlinght, windows are blanked out;
    showers are grey cement walls with 2 bulbs to light up half dozen cabins;
    100+ tiny lockers even though the gym would ever hold max 50 people;
    most equipment and gym itself is well worn out quite badly (have seen some small restoration works in progress though);
    music sometimes quite loud and cheap (pop techno style); no possibility to change (other gyms allow members to play their own tunes if appropriate);
    only 1 staff member from opening unti 8:00 - 8:30am so if going early morning will not get any assistance with the equipment;
    hard to nearly impossible to get assesment done Mon-Fri after work hours;
    all classes are mainly between 9-5 Mon-Fri or shortly after, so if doing office hours no chance to use them;
    +
    staff is ok, no all well trained but decent enough
    membership is relativelly cheap
    pool area seams big and handy (although haven't used it)
    All in all if you're in good health and have your training set + have your own MP3 player and if you are looking for cheap gym in Tallaght this is the one. But if you need nice bright and clean premisses with friendly staff that can make a suitable workout or fitness programme within 1 week - go elsewhere.

What do you think?

There is nothing wrong having more lockers, it would be the worst idea having less than it is now. Assesments being done at certain hours only, but not when one member of staff around. But you are right, this gym is really bad, music is super loud and total trash, all equipment cheap and not very safe example there are some bench that can let you down while you trying use some momentum, also leg press machine being repaired quite often. Not going lie 90% staff has no most basic cert that allows operate in fitness industry. What does it mean? It means that u better off reading fitness magaz
    ines or asking big guys in gym for advice. Stay away from this gym if you are beginer. Close gyms are parkwest and citywest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

dremo wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong having more lockers, it would be the worst idea having less than it is now. Assesments being done at certain hours only, but not when one member of staff around. But you are right, this gym is really bad, music is super loud and total trash, all equipment cheap and not very safe example there are some bench that can let you down while you trying use some momentum, also leg press machine being repaired quite often. Not going lie 90% staff has no most basic cert that allows operate in fitness industry. What does it mean? It means that u better off reading fitness magaz
    ines or asking big guys in gym for advice. Stay away from this gym if you are beginer. Close gyms are parkwest and citywest.

I always get suspicious about first-time posters who come up with strongly positive or strongly negative reviews in their first post. It seems strange that someone would be motivated to register on boards solely for the purpose of a single review.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 tero

I got a Month membership for Fathers day cost 35 euro,its just up have till Sunday i think,anyway i have only missed 2 Sundays out of the whole month i put in the effort and iv lost a lot of weight.I never asked for any help because i did,nt need it i looked on the internet and got all the advice i needed there including the diet im on,i find the machiens always in top condithion ,the dressing rooms spotless there always been cleaned and cleaned well,i have used the pool and the sauna and again spotless i only hope now i can get a deal so i can stay im unimployed and i know they do deals so hopeing i can stay because in one month if has changed the way i eat and given me the energy to do things i could only do 10 years ago.Arena gets full marks from me so give it a look if your thinking of joining a gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Jerome Halpin

tero wrote: »
    I got a Month membership for Fathers day cost 35 euro,its just up have till Sunday i think,anyway i have only missed 2 Sundays out of the whole month i put in the effort and iv lost a lot of weight.I never asked for any help because i did,nt need it i looked on the internet and got all the advice i needed there including the diet im on,i find the machiens always in top condithion ,the dressing rooms spotless there always been cleaned and cleaned well,i have used the pool and the sauna and again spotless i only hope now i can get a deal so i can stay im unimployed and i know they do deals so hopeing i can stay because in one month if has changed the way i eat and given me the energy to do things i could only do 10 years ago.Arena gets full marks from me so give it a look if your thinking of joining a gym.

Are you for real? The place is a dump. I was a member until a couple of weeks ago. I can now afford Westpark so i'm well shut of the place.
    Most of the lockers in the male room are broken due to people breaking in to them.
    Of the cardio equipment upstairs, most of them are broken. Go check. 10 Cross Trainers, SIX Of the ten are broken. Six. A joke.
    The walls are filthy and with gaping holes in some of them.
    The equipments is filthy and damaged.
    It's a dump. End of.

If broken equipment and lockers is your thing then this is the gym for you.
    Cardio equipment? Forget it. 6 of the 10 cross trainers are broken.
    Walls damaged and filthy.
    Weight machines badly damaged and not repaired.
    I have NEVER once seen any maintenance being performed on the equipment.
    Lockers the majority of which are broken from people breaking in to them. It wouldn't be wise to leave car keys in.
    Staff are never seen like you would see in a proper gym. So if you need assistance you would need to go to reception.
    Overall an awful gym. Will never go back. Fit4less would be a much better option, it's clean and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I always get suspicious about first-time posters who come up with strongly positive or strongly negative reviews in their first post. It seems strange that someone would be motivated to register on boards solely for the purpose of a single review.

Agreed, and especially if they end their point like this. End of.

I'm not really bothered what your opinion on the validity of my comment is.
    But go online snd see for yourselves. The place is grotty.
    If you are a member, wander upstairs and try out a few of the cross trainers. At least 6/10 are broken.
    So next time you choose to dismiss someones opinion do your research.
    Worst gym I've ever been in.

bovvered.jpg

Nobody dismissed your opinion. Suspicions were raised.

• Advertisement

Why the catty remark then?
    I'm guessing you spend alot of time in these forums judging by the effort you put in to your posts. Sad really.
    I simply shared facts about the above establishment, facts that you would know were true had you ever set foot in the place.
    So unless you know what you're talking about; your opinion is invalid

ouch you got me there. As a tear runs silently down my cheek

1232.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 tero

Jerome Halpin no relation,just a quick reply to your post re:Arena Leisure Gym. Im happy that you found a gym that meets your standards and i hope that you get to achive your goals but i do not agree with all of the comments you made about Arena Leisure,with regards to the lockers yes some are at times not in use but from what iv seen its not from them being broken into its because memberes lose there keys and staff have to break them open but there are fixed not right away but they get fixed. You said the gym is filty i dont agree with you there ima regular user of Arena and go at different times in the day and have noticed that the locker room,toilet and showers are cleaned regular and cleaned very well,as for your comment about machiens been broken thay do somtimes but not often break down,but they are always repaired for the next day iv never had to wait to use any machien and have never known anytime when 5 cardio machiens where out of order and just because you did,nt see any maintenance work been done doesnt mean that maintenance is not done. Since the first week of JAN myself and my son where training in a different gym,i wont name it, but anyway just to say that this gym is only around a short time there is no shower facilities no windows and iv never seen a cleaner but that doesnt mean ther isint one, but the eqyiptment is in perfect condition its well set out and the workouts are designed around what your goals are,a 3 month membership is the same price as a years membership in Arena and there is a lot of members,they gaurantee results give you a nutritional plan and one on one with a P.T every week so im just saying that most people go to the gym to train not to look for faults. P.S myself and my son are back training in Arena Leisure i lost 20 kilo,s in 5 months training there i go there to train i plan my own workouts the gym is clean iv never had my locker stolen,staff are friendly it is definitely not as bad as you make it out to be Jerome.

Jeromes only posts have been in this thread. Not a real boards user I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bilderberg

If you are a member, wander upstairs and try out a few of the cross trainers. At least 6/10 are broken.

I just signed up on this forum to reply to this message. I 100% agree with you. I am a current member and now paying by the month as I was in Ben Dunne's in Jervis. 70% of the lockers are busted. No natural light. Prices for the month now going up to 45e. Vross trainers busted. Any machine you have to use usually means doing a DIY job on it first to fix it. All in all the place is pure filth. Will keep going for the next month or so then I will be off elsewhere again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bilderberg

Without doubt the worst gym I have ever been to. Thought I was the only one. Glad to know there are other people that see it for the dump that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Speaksthetruth

I was a member of arena leisure for 1 year as i paid membership up front. I have to say the reason i left is because of the dirt. The ladys shower rooms are full of mould and drains clogged with hair. The main gym upstairs is filthy, if you look at machines they are full of dust. Pieces of chewing gum stuck to machines which are clearly visible. Lids of water btls etc left for days on machines. If you use the free weight area downstairs and move the exercise mats the ammount of dust and fluff etc is disgusting. The areana needs a good hoovering and bleaching. I will say though its not all bad the fitness staff are very friendly but the receptionists pick and choose when they want to be friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mariedaly663

This gymn is very unsanitary, it doesn't matter what time of the day one goes there is hair every where, windows filthy, the smell first thing in the morning is unbearable, smell that comes mostly from the carpet ( how can a gymn have carpet ) and the lack of cleanliness as I never smell bleach or other type of detergent.

Toilets are inexplicable, at 6:45am the toilet already had tissues with blood from the day before among other gross left overs , hair all over the drinkable water stand so very disgusting to drink from it. The air conditioning full blast, very cold, getting changed and having a shower.
    The hand wash taps are so useless you can't wash both hands together as one hand has to press the tap otherwise it stops immediately.

Some machines aren't performing well, need some grease. Service no very good as there is none around if one has a query.The gymn is big if something isn't going well or one doesn't know how to use it, one has to go all the way down to the first floor.

The music isn't good either as it's always the same which is understandable but not when it gets jumpy through the songs like the DVD is scratched every single day, but because none is upstairs nobody knows.

The gymn needs a good update

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

Sounds like it has gone even worse!

Advertisement