Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temp Clerical Officers in Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jojo123jo

She Devil wrote: »
    I had my interview on Tuesday, it seemed to go well, they seemed happy! They were saying they have 240 interviews this week?! :eek:
    How long does it take for them to give you a yay or nay, I've an interview for a full time position in the private sector tomorrow, so hopefully one will be successful.

Wish you the best of luck:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

sjms wrote: »
    I got my contract today for my TCO role. It says that I have to report to Oisin House, Pearse Street with the following:
    • Birth Certificate
    • Bank Details
    • Passport
    • PPs Number
    • Passport Photo and;
    • P45

The thing is I have a part time job at the weekends and I definitely do not want to give it up for the sake of 8 weeks work. Is this OK to keep going? Or will the expect me to give up this job in order to obtain a P45? I don't get much money from the part time job, roughly the amount of the dole - something I do not want to go on!

I have never been on the dole before and I would much rather be working 7 days a week for 8 weeks than to finish the 8 weeks and have nothing to do?

Does anybody have any advice/information regarding this?

Thanks

The working time act states that you cannot work more than 48 hours per week. So if you're doing 39 for the civil service and then 15 for your part time job you're breaking the law. Speak to the civil service guys and your part time boss to make sure you stay within the boundries of the law. Employers are at fault if you run over 48 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Denerick wrote: »
    The working time act states that you cannot work more than 48 hours per week. So if you're doing 39 for the civil service and then 15 for your part time job you're breaking the law. Speak to the civil service guys and your part time boss to make sure you stay within the boundries of the law. Employers are at fault if you run over 48 per week.

If he is on flexi time, he will probably do a 7 hour day with 30 minute lunch (or longer if you want to eat into your time). That's a 35 hour week. So it is possible you could work 13 hours in your other job. You have to sign something to say if you have a 2nd job aswell when you start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 oisim

Hi,

Got a call today offering me a position in Longford which i am delighted about, but the thing is i live in Athlone and would love a position In Athlone, does anyone know who i can contact??

I was speaking to a lovely lady in Longford and she told me to contact PALS the group that conducted the interviews, that there should be positions available in Athlone, now she didn 't have a number for them and i can't find anything under pals!!!

If anyone can help...

Thank you

oisim wrote: »
    Hi,

Got a call today offering me a position in Longford which i am delighted about, but the thing is i live in Athlone and would love a position In Athlone, does anyone know who i can contact??

I was speaking to a lovely lady in Longford and she told me to contact PALS the group that conducted the interviews, that there should be positions available in Athlone, now she didn 't have a number for them and i can't find anything under pals!!!

If anyone can help...

Thank you

I think she meant PAS, the Public Appointments Service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Orlagh123

Anyone heard anything recently about the jobs, in the Mayo region maybe, or anyone on the reserve panel hear anything back?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leinsterlad11

went for an interview three weeks ago and was offered 13weeks in the revenue office in kilkenny. anyone any ideas on the dress code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Pretty casual. More casual than 'business casual' but not boardshorts and a t-shirt. Most people wear jeans/t-shirt etc. For the first day I'd make a bit more of an effort (not suit territory but something a little smarter) and then once you're comfy after the first day just go with the flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

went for an interview three weeks ago and was offered 13weeks in the revenue office in kilkenny. anyone any ideas on the dress code?

Depends. Mine's dressy enough-shirt & tie everyday because I'm dealing with the public at times. I've worked in a different department before and it was very very casual. I'd wear shirt, tie, black slacks & black shoes the first day to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leinsterlad11

thanks guys. think i better go with the shirt and tie just to be safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Maggiesims

Has anyone started work as temp. clerical officers & how is it going & in what part of the country. I passed the interview but havn't heard anything since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I got a call back to say I got a job, was meant to start yesterday but because I was going on honeymoon they wouldn't take me on!

Does anyone have a number where I could ring to see if I am still on the list?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

I know someone working in CSO and they said that they haven't seen any TCO's at all, think they took v few this year.

V480 wrote: »
    I know someone working in CSO and they said that they haven't seen any TCO's at all, think they took v few this year.

That's funny... because I work in the CSO (I am a TCO on a 2 year contract, here since last August) and we have taken on over 80 TCO's since last year, could be near 100 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Autobot17

For anyone that gets Temp work over the summer, what do you think are the odds of people being kept on after the 8/10 weeks? Is it almost certain that people will be out the door after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fridaybabe

Hi, How do you get a temp admin job in the Public service and if you do get one, it is likely to be made permanent. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Monife wrote: »
    That's funny... because I work in the CSO (I am a TCO on a 2 year contract, here since last August) and we have taken on over 80 TCO's since last year, could be near 100 now.

That's mostly all to do with the Census though which isn't a constant thing.

It's almost guaranteed that Summer TCOs will be out the door at the end of their contracts - and absolutely guaranteed that none will be made permanent. However if subsequent temp contracts come up they may well be called back.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 missym

Hi,

I have an interview on Thursday for a TCO position which I am so happy about.

My only concern is that I have a teaching background which I don't think is going to be in my favour when interviewing for an admin job. When I graduated years ago I worked for a few months in an admin role. Should I just emphasise this and skirt over my teaching experience?

I am soo bad at interviews so all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Orlagh123

missym wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an interview on Thursday for a TCO position which I am so happy about

Congratulations! Do you mind me asking what region your interview is for?!

waterford! Thank you,hopefully it will go well,sooo nervous :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Don't worry it will be grand, just have a few examples ready ...
    I had my interview for Waterford, got a position but then I was going on holiday for two weeks and they took it back :(:(:(
    I'm going to phone them tomorrow to see what the story is, if I am still on the panel? !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 S_Snail

Hi,

My only concern is that I have a teaching background which I don't think is going to be in my favour when interviewing for an admin job. When I graduated years ago I worked for a few months in an admin role. Should I just emphasise this and skirt over my teaching experience?

Dont worry about not having relevant experience, if you read back through this thread there is info on the questions they ask. I did an interview a couple of weeks ago (for waterford too), the interview is very organised and they tell you exactly what they are going to ask you and explain the kind of answers they want, they are looking for specific examples from you past work and the questions are based on the competancies required for a clerical officer which are given on the forms that they sent you. I found the people interviewing me very nice and relaxed.

Good luck

Really, thats not showing much understanding is it. I have a weeks holiday booked in August so wonder will that affect me securing a position. Should I mention it Thursday in the interview? I'll just cancel the holiday if the contract is a long one.

Hope you're still on the panel and get a position soon!

Got a call for an interview today, totally unexpected but a v welcome suprise! The job down south but the interview is in Dublin, is that how it was for everyone else?

Hope I get it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

Hi,

I am a teacher too... and working in a social welfare local office at the moment. The interview was grand! They were very interested in organisation and planning etc aspects of teaching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 paddy reilly

Where do you find out about these interviews its impossible to find anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jojo123jo

Where do you find out about these interviews its impossible to find anything!

The jobs were advertised months ago - there was an online application and then people were called for interview. I got a letter telling me I wasn't being called, boo hoo, was really disappointed. I was doing (and finding it truly horrendous) census enumerator at the time and resented the fact that it was ok for me to put my life on hold to gather information from people but wasn't been given the opportunity to prove I had the ability to work at the other end of the process.:confused:

I have an interview this week and was wondering how long I might have to wait before hearing whether I was successful or not?

Those of you who were already successful, in what areas are you know working??

Thanks.

V480 wrote: »
    I have an interview this week and was wondering how long I might have to wait before hearing whether I was successful or not?

Those of you who were already successful, in what areas are you know working??

Thanks.

Okay I did the interview and got an email saying 'you reached the qualifying standard', what does this mean in terms of getting a job? Have any of you recieved this email and ended up not getting called to work?

• Advertisement

Hi,

I don't know what that email means. I did my interview last thursday and have received no email at all. Very disheartened especially with the cost of getting there and staying in a b&b due to a 9am interview. oh well back to the job hunt I guess!! :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement