Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos thread (Target Shooting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Now, now, you lot, settle down there :)
    And here's a closeup of the pistol competition commeration certificates:

AirPistolCertificate.jpg

DSCF3338.JPG

Geoff Cooney taking advantage of a quiet detail at a WTSC 50m shoot to make observations for later coaching.

DSCF3349.JPG

The view from the Fingal Rifle Club firing points.

DSCF3365.JPG

PR photo from a WTSC 50m shoot.

DSCF3375.JPG

Focussing hard on the target...

• Advertisement

Getting down to business!

DSCF3412.JPG

Original_psycho caught ejecting...

DSCF3423.JPG
    DSCF3423a.JPG

and again...

DSCF3427.JPG
    DSCF3427a.JPG

Changing targets...

DSCF3436.JPG

Announcing the scores...

DSCF3441.JPG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

me in courtlough yesterday

• Advertisement

From the MIT archives, the reason why your extension tubes need to be cleaned regularly :D

BloopTubeDirt.jpg

Sparks wrote:
    From the MIT archives, the reason why your extension tubes need to be cleaned regularly :D

BloopTubeDirt.jpg

Thats plagerism! (from Michelle, not MIT!!)

It's not plagerism, it's passing on knowlege :D *hehe*

All my own :D

DSCF3468.JPGDSCF3467.JPGDSCF3466.JPG

:)

Whassat?:confused:

It's a Baikal IZH-46M air pistol Degsy. Finally got to pick it up the weekend before last and shot it in the Nationals (452). Getting better with it too - put in my first 500 on Monday night in the range. Cheap (€250, plus €5 for each tin of 500 pellets), cheerful, and good enough to go from neophyte to a World Cup with. What more could you want in a beginners pistol?

Sparks wrote:
    It's a Baikal IZH-46M air pistol Degsy. Finally got to pick it up the weekend before last and shot it in the Nationals (452). Getting better with it too - put in my first 500 on Monday night in the range. Cheap (€250, plus €5 for each tin of 500 pellets), cheerful, and good enough to go from neophyte to a World Cup with. What more could you want in a beginners pistol?

A bayonet?:D
    Seriously though is it .22 or .17?

A bayonet?
    No need for that, we use penknives to cut the plastic wrapping off the tins of pellets :D
    Seriously though is it .22 or .17?
    .177 Degsy, it's an ISSF air pistol. Which are all .177 calibre.

Sparks wrote:
    No need for that, we use penknives to cut the plastic wrapping off the tins of pellets :D

.177 Degsy, it's an ISSF air pistol. Which are all .177 calibre.

Ah yes..i'm a bit of a dumbo you see!

Why would you be dumb for not knowing ISSF rule 8.4.3 from the 2005 ruleset, second printing? :D It's not exactly the first rule of target shooting y'know :D

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote:
    Why would you be dumb for not knowing ISSF rule 8.4.3 from the 2005 ruleset, second printing? :D It's not exactly the first rule of target shooting y'know :D

Why indeed!I have to say target shooting's not really my bag but i had a very enjoyable day in courtlough rifle range on sunday,although really they should get another 50m range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

I took this down to a rifle range with my girlfriends dad (its his rifle), springfield armory M14.
    1018502327_l.jpg
    1055436635_l.jpg
    This rifle is an absolute beast. I was on a 100m range, managed to hit the black a good few times, ive still got my targets, ill get a photo of em and post that too. Once i had the sights adjusted to myself, i was able to nail it at 100m every time.
    1090615637_l.jpg
    Mossberg pump action shotgun (and my girlfriends nephews!) Now this gun is just an animal..kick off it is ferocious. But damn it it feels sh!t cool ejecting the spent cartridges with the old 'chck chck' motion! (oh and if you look at the bottom left you can just about make out an old ww2 K98, didnt get to fire it as i had no ammo sadly)
    When i get the rest of my pics ill pot em, ive got AK47 and M4 carbine pics, and better shots of the K98. Also used a colt 44 but didnt get any shots of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

i hope there was no one standing in the window for that pic.

i know you probably tripple checked if the shotgun gun was loaded but everytime i see a gun held like it is in the last picture i get nervous

especially with your finger on the trigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man safety is paramount

From a discussion over on Stirton.com, these photos give a good display of why things like the rear surface of the bullet, the symmetrical form of the crown of the muzzle and the post-muzzle environment (specifically, things like silencers, extension tubes and prongs/hammerhead sightline extensions) have such a significant effect on where the round goes!

Bullet%20from%20revolver%201.jpeg

Bullet%20from%20revolver%202.jpeg

Bullet%20from%20revolver%203.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

From a discussion over on Stirton.com, these photos give a good display of why things like the rear surface of the bullet, the symmetrical form of the crown of the muzzle and the post-muzzle environment (specifically, things like silencers, extension tubes and prongs/hammerhead sightline extensions) have such a significant effect on where the round goes!

Assuming you are using a high quality silincer made to tight tollerence why would it make a difference to where the round goes? (Im not suggesting that you are wrong Im just trying to understand it)

The basic idea is that if the gases from the propellant have any avenue to get in front of the bullet, they'll take it - and for a .22lr subsonic round, even a small shove at the firing point translates to a large deviation at the target. The discussion was more centering on the use of hammerheads and tubes than silencers, but if the silencer isn't actually part of the barrel (as in, the bullet is in contact with rifling inside to prevent gas escaping in front of the bullet) then the same principles apply. How much they apply, and whether that is enough to say that you shouldn't use a silencer, well that's down to the actual application. For hunting, for example, I doubt it would be that critical if you are off by three or four millimeters, and the benefits of the silencer would more than outweight that cost; but for some forms of target shooting like ISSF or Benchrest, well, that's another story alltogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sparks wrote:
    ...the use of hammerheads and tubes...
    I'm assuming here that a 'hammerhead' isn't the heavy bit on the business end of a percussive adjustment instrument?
    And while I'm at it, what's a 'tube' in this instance?

Nope Rovi, a hammerhead looks like this:
    hammer_new_d.gif

and an extension tube looks like this:
    CONTACT3.jpg

Both act to extend the sight base for iron sights to try to reduce sighting error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Great photos Sparks!, I wonder how many FPS the camera was shooting at?

As a user of a sight extension tube, I'd really like to see the same photos using a clear extension tube. Also it would be instructive to see how quickly the gases are left behind by the round. Those photos really only go as far as maybe 30mm from the muzzle. At some point the bullet must leave the gases behind.

The other point is that perhaps the hammerhead would be more diruptive of the round than a tube, because the tube is uniform rather than biased in one direction.

• Advertisement

I wish I had a camera that would do that rrpc, it was something like a 3 nanosecond exposure time.

Here's a .22lr rifle a few nanoseconds after the point in the photos above:
    bullet-rifle-22-1a.jpg

So it does leave them behind, and rather rapidly, but like with wind, even a small shove at this end results in a long deviation at the target. And I think it's generally accepted that hammerheads are a worse idea than tubes because of the asymmetry - but some people feel they have less sail area so the barrel isn't blown about as much as it would be with a tube.

Advertisement