Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Shooting For Women!

• 10-08-2016 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

From the GRPAI FB PAGE

The Gallery Rifle & Pistol Association of Ireland present an opportunity for Women to learn more about Target Shooting (Rifle and/or Pistol).
    This course will be held at Harbour House Sports Club on 17th September 2016 and will consist of two clinics, one for Rifle target shooting and one for Pistol Target shooting.
    The cost is €25 for each clinic or €45 if attending both. Registration is required. Price includes Tuition, Training Material, Safety Equipment, Targets, Ammunition, Range Hire & Supervision.
    To reserve a place or for further details, please email info@grpai.ie places will be allocated on a first come basis but additional courses will be held subject to demand.
    Please click on the link below for further details:
    http://grpai.ie/target-shooting-women/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Interesting to see the response if the course was billed as men only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭clivej

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Interesting to see the response if the course was billed as men only.

Don't knock it.
    A lot of time and effort goes into these courses.
    And they are always full with many of the ladies taking up the sport.

I'm not knocking it, quite the opposite I think it's a great idea. I'm just wondering why it's billed as women only. I'm sure there are men who would like to take up shooting but haven't a clue how to get started. Maybe there are regular classes run but mostly attended by men I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Shooting is still a very male dominated sport. The women only days gives attendants a bit of comfort heading into something seen that way. I was of the same opinion as you, and was not in total favour of women only days, but having helped out on a few I can see the benefit.

I'm not knocking it, quite the opposite I think it's a great idea. I'm just wondering why it's billed as women only. I'm sure there are men who would like to take up shooting but haven't a clue how to get started. Maybe there are regular classes run but mostly attended by men I don't know.

I'd say that men tend to just turn up for a 'look see' and then get started.

The ladies just need that extra 'push' to get going. And as there is just the girls on the day they won't feel out of place.
    The Women On Target is a very good day. And surprisingly for ppl that haven't shot before many are good shots.

• Advertisement

As I say I'm all for it. But I know from experience that starting off in shooting can be difficult if your walking in off the street as such and might not be totally comfortable for some people to be in new surroundings. I'm just trying to make the point that I'm sure there are some men out there who are probably thinking of taking up range shooting as a pastime but are a little daunted by the prospect of starting something new. I'm sure these people would benefit from some kind of group introduction class too.

As I say I'm all for it. But I know from experience that starting off in shooting can be difficult if your walking in off the street as such and might not be totally comfortable for some people to be in new surroundings. I'm just trying to make the point that I'm sure there are some men out there who are probably thinking of taking up range shooting as a pastime but are a little daunted by the prospect of starting something new. I'm sure these people would benefit from some kind of group introduction class too.

Well there's no better place than Harbour House to go to get started.
    I must put it to the committee to introduce a 'Men' only day, for the shy lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

clivej wrote: »
    Well there's no better place than Harbour House to go to get started.
    I must put it to the committee to introduce a 'Men' only day, for the shy lads.

How about a transvestite day when we can get our best frocks out?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

rsole1 wrote: »
    How about a transvestite day when we can get our best frocks out?

Don't knock them either, I happen to know of a few of extremely skilled international shooters who would put anyone to shame for their skills with firearms.

That's the great thing about our sport everyone is welcome no matter what you do.

Advertisement